Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Journey That Any Archeologist Would Absolutely Love!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Review: La-Mulana (PS4 PSN) 12083010

Developed by Nigoro Games and published by NIS America, La-Mulana is a remake of a 2005 freeware pc title with vastly improved graphics and music and is an enhanced port of the WiiWare and Vita versions of the game. The WiiWare version of the game saw many delays and the previous publisher even cancelled the North American and European releases, luckily EnjoyUp games picked up the game and it was finally released in North America and Europe in 2012. Is this game worth checking out? Continue reading our review to find out!

Review: La-Mulana (PS4 PSN) B01_th10

Story and Gameplay

The story in La-Mulana is fairly important despite how it feels, the story and events often uncover clues to difficult puzzles so the difficulty of the game can vary depending on how well you pay attention to what's going on around you. The game is a platformer that feels a lot like an Indiana Jones meets Metroid style of game with tricky puzzles, platforming, and treasure hunting this game will never leave you bored!

The bosses in the game can be nightmarishly difficult or very easy depending on your weapon choices so be sure to not use up all of a particular sub weapon before fighting the boss of a temple.

A word to the wise collect the item near the start of the game because without it you may need to backtrack or worse yet could end up stuck in a pit or other trap with no way out forcing you to reset the game!

A unique feature in La-Mulana is the .EXE system that grants you power-ups from .EXE files that can be found, but your cpu memory is limited so don't expect to use every good .EXE file you find at the same time.

The game is very long and can easily take more than 40 hours to beat, but can take over 80 hours for completionists to collect every item and fully explore every area in the game which is absolutely incredible!

Review: La-Mulana (PS4 PSN) La-mul10

Graphics and Music

The graphics in the PS4 port have been slightly improved over the WiiWare and Vita versions of the as the details are breath-taking as every single area looks not only beautiful, but also completely unique with so many background objects and enemy designs you'll wonder how Nigoro put so much detail into a retro-styled MetroidVania!

The soundtrack is quite possibly the most impressive feature of La-Mulana as there are easily 50+ music tracks in the game and every one of them sounds like something straight from a PS1 platformer! How Nigoro managed this I'll never know, but you won't hear a better sounding 8-bit soundtrack very often on the eShop or PSN!

Review: La-Mulana (PS4 PSN) La_mul11

Bottom Line

With fun, yet challenging gameplay and unrivaled retro graphics and soundtrack, La-Mulana is as fun as ever and with the added features as well as a boss rush and time trials mode as well as great arcade borders to replace the black bars on your screen this is the definitive version of the game and as such we give the game a perfect level of recommendation!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Score ★★★★★★★★★★ 10/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#Review #NISA #Nigoro #PS4 #PSN #Platformer #MetroidVania #Adventure #Action

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This review can also be viewed here

Last edited by Towafan7 on May 26th 2020, 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Review: La-Mulana (PS4 PSN) 19654

Review: La-Mulana (PS4 PSN) 87457210

Review: La-Mulana (PS4 PSN) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!

ToughGamer likes this post

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
April 27th 2020, 6:28 pmKeAfan7
Our review is now live! Enjoy. Wink
SuperVash
April 28th 2020, 3:05 pmSuperVash
Great review for an absolute blast of a game! Cool
La-Mulana is one of the best Metroidvanias that I have had the opportunity to play! victory

KeAfan7 likes this post

XenobladeYuki
April 28th 2020, 3:28 pmXenobladeYuki
Great review @Towafan7!
KeAfan7
April 30th 2020, 12:02 pmKeAfan7
Thanks for the comments! Wink
DigiDestined
May 2nd 2020, 3:05 pmDigiDestined
Nice review. =)
Kenshin A-Go-Go
May 3rd 2020, 5:50 pmKenshin A-Go-Go
Great review dude!
Inoue79
May 3rd 2020, 7:15 pmInoue79
Nice review. Smile
Kain
May 17th 2020, 6:54 pmKain
Nice review!
Talesfanatic
May 17th 2020, 7:37 pmTalesfanatic
Awesome review!
Amufungal
May 18th 2020, 7:25 pmAmufungal
Nice review. Smile
ShanaNoShakugan
May 24th 2020, 10:47 pmShanaNoShakugan
Such nice review. Smile
Sakura chan
May 24th 2020, 10:50 pmSakura chan
La-Mulana was so much fun and I truly enjoyed the amount of love and detail Nigoro put into crafting these masterpieces! Nice review as always @Towafan7!

KeAfan7 likes this post

KeAfan7
May 26th 2020, 1:54 amKeAfan7
Thanks for the comments you guys! Wink
RyanNerdyGamer
May 26th 2020, 4:21 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Wait a minute...where's Mushu?! Why would the developers think that removing the protagonist's comic relief sidekick - who is a freaking dragon, for roaring out loud - be even a tiny bit close to a good idea? Ugh...this looks like a TERRIBLE adaptation of Mulan... Bored/What the...?

...oh..."La-Mulana"...well, that changes everything. I didn't play the original back in the day, but it looks like fun, with an adventuresome aesthetic reminiscent of the OTHER major Lucasfilm franchise (the one that is instantly forgotten the moment you hear any part of the classic Star Wars score Razz ). I'm curious to try the new 1+2 compilation on my Nintendo Switch. If it's good enough for @Towafan7, then it's good enough for at least one other mooman bean who may or mayn't be me.

However, I must admit that it, like many other things, would be better if the protagonist had a tiny dragon companion. Or any sized dragon, for that matter. Or if they ARE a dragon. Maybe I should re-remaster Crystals of Silveria...uh...what was the question again? scratch

KeAfan7 likes this post

RWBY_Red
May 26th 2020, 9:00 pmRWBY_Red
Good review! @GeekyGamerJack hehe. Laughing

KeAfan7 and RyanNerdyGamer like this post

Staroceancrazy
May 28th 2020, 11:26 amStaroceancrazy
Awesome review Exclamation
Zatchbell
May 29th 2020, 4:52 pmZatchbell
Awesome review!
Aqua Cherry Blossom
June 3rd 2020, 2:39 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review @Towafan7 lol. Smile
KeAfan7
June 12th 2020, 7:13 pmKeAfan7
@KokorOtaku Will you be getting this on Switch? "Assuming you don't already have the game"

@BurstDashV8 and @GeekyGamerJack I highly recommend this game. It's an absolute blast to play! Wink

RyanNerdyGamer likes this post

KokorOtaku
June 12th 2020, 8:48 pmKokorOtaku
@Towafan7 I do have it already

KeAfan7 likes this post

RyanNerdyGamer
June 13th 2020, 3:03 amRyanNerdyGamer
@Towafan7 Woo! Nathan Croft and the Crusaders of the Kessel Temple! Wait... scratch

KeAfan7 likes this post

TikiFireEmblem
June 21st 2020, 5:22 pmTikiFireEmblem
Great review as always. Smile
ToughGamer
June 26th 2020, 3:06 amToughGamer
Good review.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)