Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FuManchu
FuManchu
Saviors of the world?:

Review: Golden Sun (Wii U VC) Wiiu_s21

Created by Camelot and published by Nintendo Golden Sun is a gripping story-based RPG that has many unique gameplay features such as the unique psynergy magic system and djinni summons. The game's battle system focuses on the use of magic and summoning mysterious creatures know as djinn which you can equip to a character and summon them in battle. Your skills and magic change depending on which element your equiped djinn are and you can learn more powerful magic by using the magic you already possess. You can also summon powerful spirits to battle if you have multiple djinn of the same element and set them during battle. These spirits can do quite a substantial amount of damage to all enemies during battle.

The story is typical roleplaying stereotype you cause a disaster to befall the world and are banished from your village and embark on a quest to save the world. There are some surprising plot-twists near the end of the game that I can't spoil, but the game does end with a cliff-hanger. This is a very important reason why Nintendo must release Golden Sun: The Lost Age eventually on the Wii U and until they do the game is essentially incomplete.

Review: Golden Sun (Wii U VC) Wiiu_s22

Golden Sun is similar to Pokemon in the sense that you can use some of your abilities and psynergy to circumvent obstacles and solve puzzles that would otherwise be impossible to overcome. The puzzle solving in Golden Sun isn't all that complicated to just reach the end of a dungeon, but some secret djinn can be hard to reach without using your problem solving skills you can also find certain djinn on the world map, but they only appear at a specific point so exploration is key to finding all of the game's secrets!

The battles are turn-based, but aren't difficult with the exception of the bosses and some of the late-game random encounters. There are many sidequests as well including the gambling machines to win prizes and the battle coliseum just to name a few.

Golden Sun looks impressive visually as well. The game has a Psuedo 3-D look and the battles in particular look breathtaking. The variety of character models is also impressive in scale! The music also goes beyond the scale of most GBA titles and is some of the best you'll hear from a GBA game.

Review: Golden Sun (Wii U VC) Wiiu_s23

Final Verdict: Golden Sun is one of the best first party roleplaying games released on the classic GBA handheld. The gameplay and battles are unique and enjoyable and the graphics are impressive for a game released on the aging Nintendo handheld. The music is beyond anything you'd expect from a GBA title and is easily one of the best you'll hear from a game on the handheld! The only disappointing aspect of the game is the cliff-hanger that'll leave you confused and if the sequel doesn't release on the Wii U Virtual Console service you'll be left with an incomplete game.

Our final verdict is that despite the game's one major flaw you'd be foolish not to download this classic GBA RPG!

Review Score: 9/10

Review: Golden Sun (Wii U VC) Opb10
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
July 6th 2014, 3:51 pmKeAfan7
Thanks for reviewing another Wii U VC title! Keep up the hard work. Wink
KokorOtaku
July 6th 2014, 6:29 pmKokorOtaku
Great game, too bad I'm not far enough yet
KeAfan7
July 6th 2014, 6:41 pmKeAfan7
Romantaku wrote:Great game, too bad I'm not far enough yet
I still haven't beaten the game either. I'm near the end, but the enemies in the the final dungeon are thrashing my level 30-32 characters while the second to the last boss KO's my characters in one hit. Neutral
Link_i_am
July 7th 2014, 11:09 amLink_i_am
Excellent review! Golden Sun is one of my favorite Gameboy Advance games, but I agree that it would be really bad if Nintendo doesn't release its sequel on the Wii U eshop.
Clαππαd
July 14th 2014, 1:22 pmClαππαd
Nice review.
This game is my favorite Wii U exclusive Virtual Console title. Smile
Marioman18
July 14th 2014, 1:31 pmMarioman18
Golden Sun is a brilliant masterpiece and so is your review of the game! victory
Aqua Cherry Blossom
July 16th 2014, 3:37 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
I love this game lol. Smile
FM_Alchemist
July 16th 2014, 6:29 pmFM_Alchemist
Golden Sun was my first GBA game and is still one of my favorites.
Nice review btw.
Staroceancrazy
July 17th 2014, 12:59 pmStaroceancrazy
Golden Sun is the best first person Nintendo RPG series ever in my opinion.
Hopefully we'll get the other two games released on the Wii U VC soon! Very Happy
Golden Freiza
July 18th 2014, 12:54 pmGolden Freiza
Booyaa! Awesome review dude! This is one of the best GBA games that I had the honor of playing! Super Saiyen
Ms_Kinomoto
July 28th 2014, 12:55 amMs_Kinomoto
Um...nice review Smile
Um...this is such a fun game that I have played it from start to finish twice already Smile
Elza
July 28th 2014, 12:57 amElza
Nice review!
Hopefully Lost Age will be released outside of Japan soon! Smile
Staroceancrazy
August 29th 2014, 1:51 amStaroceancrazy
Elza wrote:Nice review!
Hopefully Lost Age will be released outside of Japan soon! Smile
What's taking Lost Age so long to reach NA and EU? Neutral
RWBY_Red
August 29th 2014, 12:30 pmRWBY_Red
Golden Sun is a masterpiece and I'm sure that its sequel The Lost Age will be released eventually. Smile
RyanNerdyGamer
August 29th 2014, 2:00 pmRyanNerdyGamer
I still have yet to finish the first one. Neutral
KeAfan7
August 31st 2014, 1:06 amKeAfan7
GamerZack87 wrote:I still have yet to finish the first one. Neutral
I finished the game almost a couple months ago, but failed to complete most of the optional quests and missed several Djinni.
RyanNerdyGamer
August 31st 2014, 1:12 amRyanNerdyGamer
Rukiafan wrote:
GamerZack87 wrote:I still have yet to finish the first one. Neutral
I finished the game almost a couple months ago, but failed to complete most of the optional quests and missed several Djinni.
I actually had some help from Golden Sun Universe whenever I really needed help:

http://goldensunwiki.net/Main_Page
Rena Ryuugu Fanboy
August 31st 2014, 1:19 amRena Ryuugu Fanboy
Sweet review!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)