Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)April 28th 2024, 1:17 pmKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amRyanNerdyGamerNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amRyanNerdyGamer
TechnicalIssues8
TechnicalIssues8
Admin
Review: Illusion of L'Phalcia (PS4 PSN) Image114

The past few months have been rather eventful for Exe-Create and Kemco Games.  Releasing Illusion of L’Phalcia on all platforms was quite the undertaking, but did their gamble pay off?

With multiple release dates on various systems and areas of the world, Illusion of L’Phalcia has been received with little or no fanfare.  When the game was given to me, I had no clue what adventure the code held. I was given the explanation of it’s a JRPG. That was a large bonus in its favor.

Review: Illusion of L'Phalcia (PS4 PSN) Image115

The installation was smooth and fast, having the game up and running In no time.  Upon first impression, the game had an adventurous appeal to it, from the graphics to the music.  The graphics are typical with what one would expect from Kemco’s client list, however with the array of colors along with the slight aggressiveness of the music I was ready to play.

The main quest is revealed rather quickly: Ryser is in search of the Illusive Sword of Amal.  The legendary weapon of the past is rumored to hold within its power the ability to grant a wish to the wielder.  Alas, the sword was sealed away in the past amidst the abuse of several wishes.

While the validity of the sword remains a myth, Ryser and Cougar are convinced it’s reality and they are searching for the pieces of the map.  This is where the game starts play.  

Gameplay is pretty straightforward, but the controls are a tad clunky at times as the grid system is a bit sloppy.  It’s quickly adjusted by the time you meet other members of your team and continue your quest.  The tutorial is well-paced and is thorough, explaining practically everything that will ensure your success with the game.

The battle system reminds me of other Kemco games, just a bit different. The edge of the screen starts flashing yellow, indicating monsters in the area.  Once the screen is rimmed in red, the battle ensues.  Attack, defend, and items are on your option wheel, but the addition of Phantom Skills and Magic are unique to the game.  Throughout the game, the characters receive more powerful skill attacks and magical spells.  They are quite strategic as well.  Using the wrong one could eradicate your entire party, so think before choosing.

Review: Illusion of L'Phalcia (PS4 PSN) Image210

One tactic that is unique to the game is the Skill Chain Attack.  By pressing the R1 button with one character, it will choose the characters either side of them to perform random Phantom Skills on an enemy.  These are quite powerful and could annihilate the monsters rather quickly.

Magic is another setting that requires a bit of skill, but with puzzles.  In a Tetris-like screen, one must place gems In order to make specific sets of spells available to the character.  Choose carefully as you don’t want spells to become redundant, but rather spreading the variety among your party.

The storyline is alright.  The dialogue can be eye-rolling at times, but overall it’s okay.  I found myself skipping through random encounters with various characters since I wanted to progress further in the story.  

Now to the cons of the game.  The audio is in Japanese and subtitles are English only.  While I do not find that an issue, many other gamers may.  The audio mixing could have used more work as the sounds are unbalanced, going from really quiet to blasting your eardrums out the next second.

The dungeon crawling can unnecessarily feel quite lengthy.  While I admit I’m not the greatest at backtracking on games, this one has those that are stumped at times.  Through trial, error, and lots of monster fights you will emerge victorious…or you can just use a return ring when allowed.  

Once given the ability of world travel, one might think their troubles with transportation are over.  Not so.  It is difficult almost bordering on the verge of ridicule trying to get the bird to land.  At times, the player will have to make quite the trek to their destination.

As unfamiliar with the game as I was,  I made the best of it and enjoyed it for a low-budget game.  It held my attention, but it wasn’t one I couldn’t put down.  It’s a nice title to give a try when needing a break from other games or want a short game to give anywhere from thirty to fifty hours.  Going through the information given in this article, I rate this game 7.5 stars out of 10.

Illusion of L’Phalcia is available on the PlayStation Store for $14.99USD.
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
September 29th 2019, 10:43 pmKeAfan7
Thanks for reviewing this! I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Wink
Amufungal
September 29th 2019, 10:52 pmAmufungal
Nice review. Smile
Kain
September 30th 2019, 11:14 amKain
Kemco gets more hate then it should. They make games that are very fun for the price and there's nothing particularly wrong with the the games either. They usually run well and aren't riddled with bugs. Your review was amazing @TechnicalIssues8!
LizofDoom
September 30th 2019, 8:02 pmLizofDoom
Good review!
TechnicalIssues8
October 1st 2019, 4:52 amTechnicalIssues8
Kain wrote:Kemco gets more hate then it should. They make games that are very fun for the price and there's nothing particularly wrong with the the games either. They usually run well and aren't riddled with bugs. Your review was amazing @TechnicalIssues8!

Thank you so much! I honestly haven't found a Kemco game yet that I haven't liked. Yeah, they are very similar but the differences are enough to make the games enjoyable. Can't wait for my next Kemco game!
DigiDestined
October 1st 2019, 4:02 pmDigiDestined
Nice review @TechnicalIssues8. =)
catfood
October 4th 2019, 6:06 pmcatfood
Grrrreeeaaaat review! cat
Staroceancrazy
October 4th 2019, 8:50 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review Exclamation
Tinglemaster
October 5th 2019, 7:17 pmTinglemaster
Great review TING! dizzy
TechnicalIssues8
October 6th 2019, 2:19 amTechnicalIssues8
Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it Smile
Neptune
October 6th 2019, 12:35 pmNeptune
Nice review tech-tech. Smile
Gekkouga-Senpai
October 7th 2019, 10:21 pmGekkouga-Senpai
Good review!
Clαππαd
October 26th 2019, 10:40 pmClαππαd
Nice review.
Talesfanatic
November 9th 2019, 12:07 amTalesfanatic
Awesome review!
Otaku
November 9th 2019, 12:31 amOtaku
Kemco is awesome Very Happy
Zatchbell
November 9th 2019, 3:18 pmZatchbell
@TechnicalIssues8 What's your favorite Kemco rpg?
Kitty Cat Meow Meow
November 9th 2019, 4:57 pmKitty Cat Meow Meow
@TechnicalIssues8 What a pawmazing review! cat
Nell TU
November 9th 2019, 5:07 pmNell TU
Good review!
Clunkermobile
November 9th 2019, 9:56 pmClunkermobile
Kemco are good for the price. Good review Technical!
Gold_Miner
November 9th 2019, 10:10 pmGold_Miner
@Kain Agreed. I can't always afford to purchase a big AAA rpg every paycheck, but Kemco allows me to still get my rpg fix during months that I have to hold back on my spending.
Kangaroozoo
November 10th 2019, 6:10 pmKangaroozoo
Brilliant review mate! Kemco is the best indie RPG maker hands-down! cheers
TechnicalIssues8
November 11th 2019, 6:07 amTechnicalIssues8
Zatchbell wrote:@TechnicalIssues8 What's your favorite Kemco rpg?

My favorite Kemco game would have to be Marenian Tavern Story. The plot is unlike any I have ever seen before and the gameplay is awesome. What's your favorite?
TechnicalIssues8
November 11th 2019, 6:08 amTechnicalIssues8
Kangaroozoo wrote:Brilliant review mate! Kemco is the best indie RPG maker hands-down! cheers

Heck yeah they are! And thanks Smile

Himawari Chan
November 11th 2019, 6:30 amHimawari Chan
Nice review!
RWBY_Red
November 11th 2019, 10:48 amRWBY_Red
Good review.
Zatchbell
November 11th 2019, 10:51 amZatchbell
@TechnicalIssues8 Asdivine Hearts is my favorite!
Aqua Cherry Blossom
November 11th 2019, 2:19 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review lol. Smile
Grumblevolcano
November 12th 2019, 6:25 amGrumblevolcano
Great review @TechnicalIssues8!
RoboYoshi
November 12th 2019, 2:15 pmRoboYoshi
Awesome review @TechnicalIssues8 Very Happy
Mario fan of the 80s
February 10th 2020, 10:55 pmMario fan of the 80s
Terrific review!