Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
A Knight In Shining Armor!

Review: Shovel Knight (Wii U eshop) Wiiu_s59

Shovel Knight is an 8-bit retro inspired action/platformer developed by Yacht Club Games and has been released on both the Wii U and 3DS eshops, but does it live up to the incredible amount of hype it has received prior to its release? Continue reading our review to find out!

In Shovel Knight you take the role of a retired knight who lost a close friend in battle, but has returned to action due to the turmoil created by the Order of No Quarter. You will jump, dig, and bounce your way through many lengthy and difficult stages to defeat the knights under the control of The Order of No Quarter!

Shovel Knight takes the Mega Man approach to the platforming genre with lengthy levels that possess sub-bosses with a master boss at the end, however you don't obtain any new weapons from the bosses, instead you obtain relics from hidden blue treasure chests that are usually hard to find and if you do find one it'll cost you gold to purchase it meaning that you will want to find as much gold as you can during the stages. These relics are usually necessary to find in order to overcome certain obstacles in a given stage. Shovel Knight also possesses a unique checkpoint system where you can actually destroy a checkpoint to obtain a sizable amount of gold, but unless you are an experienced player we don't suggest that you do this!

Review: Shovel Knight (Wii U eshop) Wiiu_s60

There are many hidden secrets and if you look carefully at the walls or ground you can usually spot the secret areas so they're not unfairly hidden it just takes a little observation to spot these secrets! The game is quite long as well with over 15 rather lengthy stages, 2 towns where you can purchase upgrades and play minigames, as well as several map enemy stages which are usually short platforming or boss stages it will likely take around 5-6 hours to beat and then there is a slightly more challenging New Game + to tackle after completing the game. The main differences between a normal game and a New Game + is that each stage has fewer checkpoints and you take more damage from enemies.

The Wii U version of Shovel Knight has an exclusive Miiverse feature titled The Digger's Diary where you can choose an avatar for yourself and access Miiverse posts regarding the screen that you are currently in for help, secrets, or even superb artwork of your current location! It's similar to the Tingle's Bottles from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, except messages automatically show up in the diary! One thing to note is that The Digger's Diary isn't available during Off-TV Play.

Review: Shovel Knight (Wii U eshop) Wiiu_s61

The controls in Shovel Knight are top-notch as they are both responsive and easy to learn and while the Off-TV play is superb it prevents you from utilizing the Wii U exclusive Miiverse features which is unfortunate. As for the visuals Shovel Knight looks breathtaking with impressive 8-bit pixel art characters and backgrounds it's style is nearly unparalleled by any other 8-bit game released thus far! The music is equally as impressive and rivals the best tunes on the NES console while the sound effects sound genuinely 8-bit quality!

Review: Shovel Knight (Wii U eshop) Wiiu_s62

Bottom-Line:

With incredible gameplay that rivals that of 8-bit legends such as Super Mario Bros. 3 and Mega Man 2 Shovel Knight is one of the best games released on the eshop! Couple that with the unparalleled 8-bit graphics and audio as well as flawless controls and you have yourself a true masterpiece! We give this game the highest recommendation if you don't have Shovel Knight yet, do yourself a favor and download now!

Price: $14.99

Score: 10/10

Last edited by Rukiafan on June 26th 2014, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed a typo.)

Review: Shovel Knight (Wii U eshop) 19654

Review: Shovel Knight (Wii U eshop) 87457210

Review: Shovel Knight (Wii U eshop) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Talesfanatic
June 26th 2014, 2:24 pmTalesfanatic
This game looks so awesome that I plan on making this game my very next download!
Talesfanatic
June 26th 2014, 2:25 pmTalesfanatic
Nice review by the way!
Anonymous
June 26th 2014, 2:35 pmGuest
Beautiful review Rukiafan! I love you
Shovel Knight is such a beautiful and fun game! ♥️
Tech101
June 26th 2014, 2:39 pmTech101
Already dl'ed the 3ds version. I may pick this one up once multiplayer is released for it depending on how it works. Great review btw!
Aqua Cherry Blossom
June 26th 2014, 7:45 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Shovel Knight is a knight in shining armour for the Wii U lol. Smile
Nice review!
Aqua Cherry Blossom
June 26th 2014, 7:48 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
I hope the wait won't be too long for us European Wii U and 3DS owners.
ShanaNoShakugan
June 27th 2014, 2:42 pmShanaNoShakugan
Such nice review, but when come to Japan? Smile
KeAfan7
June 27th 2014, 3:22 pmKeAfan7
Thanks for all of your positive comments everyone! Wink
Staroceancrazy
June 27th 2014, 3:54 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review and game! Very Happy
This is GoTY material Exclamation
DigiDestined
June 28th 2014, 11:10 amDigiDestined
Rukiafan wrote:Shovel Knight is one of the best games released on the eshop!

So true. Smile
This game is legendary already! Smile
Nice review Rukiafan. =)
Ragnarok
June 28th 2014, 11:18 amRagnarok
The quality of this game has blown my mind! Great review.
KeAfan7
June 28th 2014, 4:16 pmKeAfan7
@Digidestined and @Ragnarok Why thank you! Wink
NINTENBRO
June 28th 2014, 8:43 pmNINTENBRO
I'm really glad you were able to obtain that reviewer's code, because your review for Shovel Knight is awesome, my friend! I'm personally, going to purchase the 3DS version, because retro graphics in 3D are pure eye candy.
KeAfan7
June 29th 2014, 11:20 amKeAfan7
NINTENBRO82 wrote:I'm really glad you were able to obtain that reviewer's code, because your review for Shovel Knight is awesome, my friend! I'm personally, going to purchase the 3DS version, because retro graphics in 3D are pure eye candy.
Be careful, I hear that the 3DS version has been hurting some people's eyes. I don't think it's a major issue, but if you have any eye issues you might want to get the Wii U version or avoid using the 3D on the 3DS version. Wink
Anonymous
June 29th 2014, 11:27 amGuest
I love this game so much! I love you
Tech101
June 29th 2014, 12:56 pmTech101
Not one single.problem here with 3d full blast. Tbh it's no different then Mutant Mudds. The 3d that is.
KeAfan7
July 1st 2014, 2:18 pmKeAfan7
So many comments! Thanks for all of your feedback everyone. Wink
Love4Gaming
July 3rd 2014, 12:40 pmLove4Gaming
This is the best NES game ever! Nice review. Smile
Inoue79
July 3rd 2014, 1:13 pmInoue79
Shovel Knight is one of the best games of the year!
Nice review. Smile
Inuyasha4z2
July 3rd 2014, 2:07 pmInuyasha4z2
Inoue79 wrote:Shovel Knight is one of the best games of the year!
Nice review. Smile
I'd even say it's one of the best games of the generation!
NINTENBRO
July 3rd 2014, 10:31 pmNINTENBRO
This game is already almost as legendary as Rukiafan's review's! Also, did you guys know that there are over 300 cheat codes for Shovel Knight. Surprised
Tsukoko
July 4th 2014, 3:53 pmTsukoko
NINTENBRO82 wrote:This game is already almost as legendary as Rukiafan's review's! Also, did you guys know that there are over 300 cheat codes for Shovel Knight. Surprised
Are you serious?

Review: Shovel Knight (Wii U eshop) B339c810
RWBY_Red
July 4th 2014, 4:10 pmRWBY_Red
Tsukoko wrote:
NINTENBRO82 wrote:This game is already almost as legendary as Rukiafan's review's! Also, did you guys know that there are over 300 cheat codes for Shovel Knight. Surprised
Are you serious?

I doubt that a staff member would be lying, but this is the first that I've heard of these cheats as well.
SonicKnuckles
July 4th 2014, 8:13 pmSonicKnuckles
Natsume wrote:
Tsukoko wrote:
Are you serious?

I doubt that a staff member would be lying, but this is the first that I've heard of these cheats as well.
I don't know if you know this, but Nintenbro is one of the staff of WiiWareWave! Doubting his truthfulness could get you banned. Razz
SonicKnuckles
July 4th 2014, 8:15 pmSonicKnuckles
Great review btw! This game is one of the best indie games that I've ever played.
RyanNerdyGamer
July 4th 2014, 8:27 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Apparently, one of the cheat codes in this game is "Butt Mode", which changes several key words in the game into the word "Butt"; even Shovel Knight becomes "Butt Butt"! lol!
NINTENBRO
July 4th 2014, 10:53 pmNINTENBRO
Tsukoko wrote:
Are you serious?

I wouldn't troll on WiiWareWave! Here, I've dug up the codes just for you, my friend.Very Happy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gbtQSPqvzV8oWqQJEQH12-5_PAGAAKx_zc1MXxXbcDI/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0
Rena Ryuugu Fanboy
July 22nd 2014, 12:31 pmRena Ryuugu Fanboy
Awesome review. I have both versions of the game and I don't regret doing so!
Nell TU
July 24th 2014, 12:30 pmNell TU
Nice review.
It's such a shame that the rest of the world has to wait to have an opportunity to play this game.
Golden Freiza
July 25th 2014, 11:04 amGolden Freiza
Booyaa! What an awesome review dude. This game deserves nothing less than a perfect score, failure to give it so is a crime! Super Saiyen
Clαππαd
July 25th 2014, 12:38 pmClαππαd
Nice review boss.
This is such a wonderful game. Smile
KeAfan7
July 26th 2014, 12:04 pmKeAfan7
Wow thanks for all of the comments! This review is officially on the top 10 most commented on reviews list on our website! Thanks you guys. Wink
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)