Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)Today at 5:27 pmKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amTheGingerDoctorNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amTheGingerDoctor
SKTTR
SKTTR
Admin
Wii U eShop Review

FUTURIDIUM
EXTENDED PLAY DELUXE

MixedBag

Genre: Arcade / Flying / 3D-Shooter
Players: 1

EU Release Date: 2016-05-26 Price: £7.99 / 8,99€
NA Release Date: 2016-05-26 Price: $9.99

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ia8r0sP4ic

Tested: EU (PAL Version)

Review: FUTURIDIUM EP DELUXE (Wii U eShop) WiiUDS_FuturidiumEPDeluxe_02_mediaplayer_large

Futuridium EP Deluxe is inspired by Commodore 64 all-time classic Uridium from 1986 (that was once available on the Wii Shop Virtual Console). It puts the horizontal 2D shooter into a flashy 3D shooter, but is it going to do the original justice? Well, it's taking a couple of elements from the classic but it's still a unique experience.

In the midst of a huge space war, you're damaged ship gets sucked into some kind of warp gate. This warp gate takes you behind the enemy front lines and to the enemies' approaching motherships and dreadnoughts. With your energy slowly draining from a damaged hull the only way to survive is to shoot the energy cells around each mothership to regain some health. Once all energy cells are destroyed the main core opens up. Destroying it blows up the mothership and takes you to the next zone. Basically, you're not just saving the world all on your own, you do this while you are severely damaged and continuously lose energy. It's a tense and difficult task, much like the original.

Review: FUTURIDIUM EP DELUXE (Wii U eShop) WiiUDS_FuturidiumEPDeluxe_05_mediaplayer_large

There are 50 deluxe stages and 50 classic stages that are very different from each other. If you don't want to start from zone 1 every time, you have to beat 10 stages with your limited amount of credits, so the game lets you start from zone 11, 21, 31, and 41 respectively. Also, each energy cell you destroy is counted towards further unlockables, like new skins that show the levels in different colors and additional credits that make your progress through the game much easier.

The levels start off relatively simple, with just some transport ships and a few rows of energy cells to shoot, but later on you encounter warships that have plenty of defenses like lasers, bombs, and homing missiles that take multiple hits to destroy. Also, it's not always huge ships you will find on your unlucky journey, there are outerdimensional structures that move and spin around, and areas that look like cities, scrap and debris, a train station, and much more.

Review: FUTURIDIUM EP DELUXE (Wii U eShop) WiiUDS_FuturidiumEPDeluxe_04_mediaplayer_large

Futuridium seems unforgiving in the beginning but at its heart it's a core game that rewards practice and devotion. If the challenge is still too much for you to handle you can change to an easy mode without much of a penalty (you just score less points). Unlockable new modes and a place on the online leaderboards just add to the variety and replayability. Hardcore gamers will have 3 optional goals for each stage to tackle: Complete a stage without dying, complete a stage within a certain time limit, and complete a stage with a good chain combo (shooting energy cells consecutively). These goals leave no room for mistakes.

The controls are very good: You can fly in all directions (with inverted Y-axis if you want), shoot with one of the buttons, boost with a second button, and instantly turn around on the spot by the press of third button. This is what makes Futuridium pretty unique and so fast-paced. Also, you can change the perspective with another button: There is a first person view and third person views.

Review: FUTURIDIUM EP DELUXE (Wii U eShop) WiiUDS_FuturidiumEPDeluxe_06_mediaplayer_large

Graphically, Futuridium is nice to look at and a very smooth experience. With its one-color textures it almost looks like a neon HD version of Starfox for the SNES but without any pop-ups in the distance or slowdown. The soundtrack was created by 3 dubstep artists. They add to the action on screen, and if you don't like one of the 16 tracks you can select a different one by moving through the playlist with the right analog stick anytime.

Futuridium EP Deluxe is a content-packed, modernized, retro-inspired, extremely polished arcade shooter for a really good price. If you're into fast-paced action that tests your reflexes and precision skills and want something that gets your adrenaline rushing, then this game is definately for you.

SKTTRSKORE: 8.5/10

Written by SKTTR, 28th September 2016
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

TheGingerDoctor
September 28th 2016, 2:27 pmTheGingerDoctor
At last, @SKTTR gets to review a game that's actually good! Razz

Superb review as always, by the way. Review: FUTURIDIUM EP DELUXE (Wii U eShop) 631737971
KeAfan7
September 28th 2016, 2:45 pmKeAfan7
@SKTTR @GeekyGamerZack sorry for the mess. Our website is really broken at the moment. We're currently working with our webhost to resolve the issues, but it could take awhile. Our sign in is messed up and you can only do so from the home page, and our moderation tools, and administration panel are broken as well. Sad

It's especially bad on the Wii U browser and mobile browsers as most images are broken and the text editor buttons, and new topic buttons are missing meaning it's very difficult to edit messages and impossible to create new threads on those browsers...Neutral

Anyways @SKTTR thanks for reviewing yet another game! It is indeed a very enjoyable romp! Wink
SKTTR
September 28th 2016, 3:57 pmSKTTR
@GeekyGamerZack

Hey, I reviewed a lot of good Wii U eShop games here.

Just to name a few...

Squids Odyssey - 9/10
PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate - 8.7/10
Asdivine Hearts - 8.5/10
Futuridium EP Deluxe - 8.5/10
Citizens of Earth - 8/10
Master Reboot - 8/10
Thomas Was Alone - 8/10
Ittle Dew - 8/10
Underground - 8/10
Armillo - 8/10
KickBeat - Special Edition - 8/10

...and thank you :=)

@Ichigofan

What the hail is going on? The webhost is as bugged as The Grumpy Reaper and Bit Dungeon+ combined! Come on, what can we do about it?

Cheers! I'm preparing the next review.

Last edited by SKTTR on October 5th 2016, 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeAfan7
October 3rd 2016, 10:22 pmKeAfan7
@SKTTR When do you expect your review for Noitu Love Devolution (Wii U eShop) to go live? Wink
SKTTR
October 4th 2016, 8:57 amSKTTR
Ichigofan wrote:@SKTTR When do you expect your review for Noitu Love Devolution (Wii U eShop) to go live? Wink

Tomorrow! >:3

The SDK Spriter review will follow when I'm ready with my SDK Spriter game. I hope it's not taking too long, however, creating a world, even a small one, is very time consuming. HullBreach Studios announced that they will listen to the users and develop useful updates for the SDK Spriter community. There's lots of potential there.

Also, I'm busy working on a secret game project AND on the German translation of Wii U / 3DS / PS4 / Steam action-platformer LEAGUE OF EVIL which releases 26th October on Steam, with console versions releasing shortly after. There's still some bugfixing to do and polishing around the edges. The Wii U and 3DS versions have a cross-compatible level editor sharing feature. Smile
KeAfan7
October 4th 2016, 11:40 amKeAfan7
@SKTTR You might be getting a review code for Ninja Pizza Girl soon. Wink
SKTTR
October 4th 2016, 12:21 pmSKTTR
Sweedy lord! Yesterday I burnt my arm in the oven, and my face with Pizza! 🐒
And I I love you kunoichis. This game's timing is perfect.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)