Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
What was the last game you beat?Yesterday at 3:19 pmKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?July 19th 2024, 10:17 pmKokorOtakuYour Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)July 19th 2024, 10:14 pmKokorOtakuNews: Two HUGE NSO Updates Have Dropped This Month With A Whopping 10 Games In-Total!!July 13th 2024, 1:45 pmKokorOtakuThe Legend of Zelda Creative Designs TopicJuly 1st 2024, 12:18 pmStaroceancrazy
Gamergy
Gamergy
A new announcement

New 3DS, Xenoblade, and Smash Bros announcements New-Nintendo-3DS-3.0

During Nintendo's Japanese direct Nintendo announced their "New 3DS" There will be NFC built in to the system, a stronger CPU, a second circle pad, less 3D blur, additional shoulder buttons, and will use Micro SD.

A port of the critically acclaimed Wii game Xenoblade Chronicles will be available on the New 3DS. Watch the trailer here

And to go along with all of this, Shulk has been added to the Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U roster. See that trailer here

So what do our readers think of these new announcements? Drop a comment below!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

RWBY_Red
August 29th 2014, 12:47 pmRWBY_Red
I don't like having to upgrade to a new handheld so soon just to play the latest 3DS games. Sad
Tsukoko
So much for only having to buy hardware once per generation. This is actually worse than the dlc BS that third parties pull. pale
Gamergy
I'm not surprised at this announcement. Nintendo tends to release new Handhelds more often, which is something I don't agree with (because that's partially how Sega messed up) I won't get a New 3DS until I see more announced games, but don't expect the New 3DS to appear until 2015 at the earliest

By the way, price for New 3DS is $155, New 3DS XL $181 if you directly convert it from the yen price.
RyanNerdyGamer
August 29th 2014, 2:06 pmRyanNerdyGamer
I like the nod to the Super Nintendo on the New 3DS (coloured ABXY buttons), but I'm not so sure about the second Circle "Pad". Hopefully there'll be a way for the original 3DS to compensate for New 3DS games, since I doubt Nintendo would want to alienate its current 3DS fanbase.
KokorOtaku
August 30th 2014, 9:08 pmKokorOtaku
I'm getting it once it comes out, but I do hope we wont see anymore major improvements (asside from system updates) until 2018. Also thisll be my first time playing Xeenoblade!
RyanNerdyGamer
August 30th 2014, 9:11 pmRyanNerdyGamer
passioNATE wrote:I'm getting it once it comes out, but I do hope we wont see anymore major improvements (asside from system updates) until 2018.
I agree. I'd rather this be treated as an entirely new console than a minor upgrade to an existing one. Smile
passioNATE wrote:Also thisll be my first time playing Xeenoblade!
Mine too! Very Happy
Rena Ryuugu Fanboy
August 31st 2014, 1:22 amRena Ryuugu Fanboy
I'm surprised given how long the previous generation (Wii and DS) lasted.
RyanNerdyGamer
August 31st 2014, 1:41 amRyanNerdyGamer
The DS went for four years before the DSi was released, and I treat them both as separate consoles which happened to share a generation. Likewise, I see the New 3DS as a brand-new console which shares a generation with the original 3DS. Taking into account that the original 3DS will also go for four years before the New 3DS's debut (the 3DS first came out in 2010 in Japan and 2011 in NA and PAL regions), it's actually not too different from the previous generation. I think having two consoles in one generation may be a stretch if it's done too often, but if it's done right then it's actually quite good. Smile

I probably won't go for the New 3DS XL, opting instead for the New 3DS. The interchangeable Kisekae Plates look like plenty of fun, and I guess I prefer smaller screens since there's less eye-strain. I already know which extra plates I'd like to get: red, plus maybe aqua, green and purple, for my white one; and blue, plus maybe yellow, magenta and orange, for my black one. I'd be able to pick a different colour to suit my mood! Time to start saving! Very Happy
KokorOtaku
August 31st 2014, 6:47 amKokorOtaku
Yeah I look at it by a year by year comparison, right now 2014 for the 3DS is to what 2008 was for the DS, so this year having a DSi type for 3DS, and the exclusives for it are like the DSi Shop exclusive games only they have more physical copies since it already had a shop
Rena Ryuugu Fanboy
August 31st 2014, 12:38 pmRena Ryuugu Fanboy
GamerZack87 wrote:The DS went for four years before the DSi was released, and I treat them both as separate consoles which happened to share a generation. Likewise, I see the New 3DS as a brand-new console which shares a generation with the original 3DS. Taking into account that the original 3DS will also go for four years before the New 3DS's debut (the 3DS first came out in 2010 in Japan and 2011 in NA and PAL regions), it's actually not too different from the previous generation. I think having two consoles in one generation may be a stretch if it's done too often, but if it's done right then it's actually quite good. Smile

I probably won't go for the New 3DS XL, opting instead for the New 3DS. The interchangeable Kisekae Plates look like plenty of fun, and I guess I prefer smaller screens since there's less eye-strain. I already know which extra plates I'd like to get: red, plus maybe aqua, green and purple, for my white one; and blue, plus maybe yellow, magenta and orange, for my black one. I'd be able to pick a different colour to suit my mood! Time to start saving! Very Happy
Except almost nobody can afford to upgrade their gaming device in this economy especially in North America.
At this rate the average North American will be poorer than the average person from India, China, and most African nations before long. Sad
RyanNerdyGamer
August 31st 2014, 2:29 pmRyanNerdyGamer
ReverseInverse wrote:
GamerZack87 wrote:The DS went for four years before the DSi was released, and I treat them both as separate consoles which happened to share a generation. Likewise, I see the New 3DS as a brand-new console which shares a generation with the original 3DS. Taking into account that the original 3DS will also go for four years before the New 3DS's debut (the 3DS first came out in 2010 in Japan and 2011 in NA and PAL regions), it's actually not too different from the previous generation. I think having two consoles in one generation may be a stretch if it's done too often, but if it's done right then it's actually quite good. Smile

Except almost nobody can afford to upgrade their gaming device in this economy especially in North America.
At this rate the average North American will be poorer than the average person from India, China, and most African nations before long. Sad
That's not good at all. Sad
Inuyasha4z2
August 31st 2014, 11:57 pmInuyasha4z2
Awesome! Very Happy
KokorOtaku
September 1st 2014, 7:15 amKokorOtaku
Yeah I get a lot of people might not be able to afford this, but maybe the exclusives won't be to much of a reason to upgrade so the people who can't upgrade don't have to until the inevitable successor coming in a few years. Like what if the only exclusives are select N64, GCN, and Wii Remakes? I know some people will be mad, but at least it wouldn't be NEW games
Aqua Cherry Blossom
September 1st 2014, 11:09 amAqua Cherry Blossom
passioNATE wrote:Yeah I get a lot of people might not be able to afford this, but maybe the exclusives won't be to much of a reason to upgrade so the people who can't upgrade don't have to until the inevitable successor coming in a few years. Like what if the only exclusives are select N64, GCN, and Wii Remakes? I know some people will be mad, but at least it wouldn't be NEW games
This would be the perfect solution to everyone's concern with New 3DS exclusives.
I don't mind Xenoblade Chronicles or other ports and remakes from older consoles being exclusive, but if the next Pokemon game or other important Nintendo IP's become exclusives for the New 3DS then I'll be bloody ticked lol. Rolling Eyes
KokorOtaku
September 1st 2014, 1:00 pmKokorOtaku
yeah i'm guessing it'll be like the DSi and Pokrmon Black/White, having some new stuff, but not a ton
RyanNerdyGamer
September 1st 2014, 3:49 pmRyanNerdyGamer
A thought occurs! Maybe, because GBA games are (currently) Wii U-exclusive, then GCN games could, potentially, become a New 3DS-exclusive VC option as a way to balance out everything. On the other hand, the New 3DS might have trouble replicating titles which extensively use the analog feature in the L and R Buttons.
DigiDestined
September 2nd 2014, 4:50 pmDigiDestined
I'm going to purchase a New 3DS as soon as I can. Smile
KokorOtaku
September 2nd 2014, 6:48 pmKokorOtaku
I heard a rumor the NEW 3DS will support region free, and possibly allow for a JP, EU/AU, and NA eShop section, well we'll see in a little over a month
DigiDestined
September 2nd 2014, 7:19 pmDigiDestined
passioNATE wrote:I heard a rumor the NEW 3DS will support region free, and possibly allow for a JP, EU/AU, and NA eShop section, well we'll see in a little over a month
That would be dreamy! =)
NINTENBRO
September 2nd 2014, 11:37 pmNINTENBRO
I personally think that Nintendo made a very bad business decision, by releasing another iteration of the 3DS this quickly. They should've designated their resource's towards their own IP's and proprietary support. The next model should've been released after another two years, and boasted a much higher definition screen, and a much more powerful CPU & GPU. The original 3DS model should've already possessed the 3D stability, and AMiiBO features. Now they've forced their consumer base to purchase yet another form of the same console, just to experience any of the exclusive games. If the next Metroid game isn't available for the original 3DS models, I'm officially done purchasing Nintendo's console's and software.

Last edited by NINTENBRO on September 2nd 2014, 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
NINTENBRO
September 2nd 2014, 11:38 pmNINTENBRO
Natsume wrote:I don't like having to upgrade to a new handheld so soon just to play the latest 3DS games. Sad

You know what's up!
KeAfan7
September 3rd 2014, 12:59 pmKeAfan7
NINTENBRO wrote:I personally think that Nintendo made a very bad business decision, by releasing another iteration of the 3DS this quickly. They should've designated their resource's towards their own IP's and proprietary support. The next model should've been released after another two years, and boasted a much higher definition screen, and a much more powerful CPU & GPU. The original 3DS model should've already possessed the 3D stability, and AMiiBO features. Now they've forced their consumer base to purchase yet another form of the same console, just to experience any of the exclusive games. If the next Metroid game isn't available for the original 3DS models, I'm officially done purchasing Nintendo's console's and software.
You know that I'm a loyal die-hard Nintendo fan, but if they pull this with the Wii U as well I might very well change WiiWareWave into an all-encompassing video games website and purchase a PS4...seriously I didn't pay $350 for a Wii U to replace it before the end of the generation. I no longer own a 3DS since I got tired of sending it in for repairs so this doesn't affect me, however I completely understand why this would tick current 3DS owners off. Mad
KokorOtaku
September 3rd 2014, 8:35 pmKokorOtaku
I get why people would be upset, and do hope we don't see anything next gen till at least 2019, but I still see this as the DSi equivalent to the 3DS, but instead of Ware titles you get wiiremakes
MetroidBlaster
September 5th 2014, 2:16 pmMetroidBlaster
It's too soon for a new handheld, especially with the economy in the state it's in.
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)