Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)Today at 10:42 amKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amTheGingerDoctorNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amTheGingerDoctor
SkywardL
SkywardL
Admin
E3 *Update*: Confirmation on Wii VC Transfer WiiUGamepad
Imagine viewing Super Mario World on the Wii U screen

The Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Nintendo, Scott Moffitt, confirms during the interview with ABC News that Nintendo Wii owners can transfer their Virtual Console games onto their newly purchase Wii U system and is playable on the Wii U GamePad. No mention if Wiiware games get the same treatment.

Update
Thanks to the live blog during the Nintendo Wii U Developer Discussion, Nintendo Wii U hardware producer Katsuya Eguchi receive a question about downloaded Wii games and Virtual Console games over to Wii U and his response is this:

We are readying the system to be able to transfer saves and everything you've bought.

Confirming that Wiiware games are also transferable!

There will also be gaming accounts for each family member of some sort.

The interview also reconfirming (was reveal dring the Nintendo press conference) that the Wii U system can support up two Wii U GamePads. However, there is no confirmation that any of the announced Wii U games will be using this feature.

Are you trilled that you can transfer all your Wii Virtual Console games to the Wii U? Leave your welcoming thoughts at the comment section below.

Last edited by SkywardL on June 5th 2012, 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

DigiDestined
June 5th 2012, 4:52 pmDigiDestined
I knew Nintendo would do the same thing they did during the DSiWare to eshop transfers. Very Happy
gamerace
That is welcome news.
NINTENBRO
June 5th 2012, 5:28 pmNINTENBRO
I just knew Nintendo wouldn't force us to keep our Wii consoles because of this situation. We wouldn't just be forced to pay for VC titles again, those games may not even be available on the new eShop either. What's the point of offering downloadable classic retro videogames, if they're just going to be lost in the winds of time again?
KeAfan7
DigiDestined wrote:I knew Nintendo would do the same thing they did during the DSiWare to eshop transfers. Very Happy
I figured the same thing. Wink
Glad to see that Nintendo didn't disappoint us. king
SkywardL
Good news about Wiiware that I just updated.
NINTENBRO
June 5th 2012, 7:43 pmNINTENBRO
I'm still wondering if we'll be able to trade in our Wii console's towards the cost of purchasing a WiiU, or will need to keep them until after we've transfered our WiiShop content? I'm hoping Nintendo just finds a way of linking our WiiShop/Club Nintendo accounts with our new WiiU eShop accounts. That would easily bypass any restrictions this may cause.
christicehurst
June 5th 2012, 8:47 pmchristicehurst
They said this last year but I'm keeping my Wii for the other room. Beside the trade in value is next to nothing. Everybody has one.
Mario fan of the 80s
June 5th 2012, 9:28 pmMario fan of the 80s
This is totally awesome news! Cool
KingreX32
June 6th 2012, 8:09 amKingreX32
WEll this is great bloody news. I happy to hear this. So happy
christicehurst
June 6th 2012, 8:23 amchristicehurst
Guys this was told this time last year
KingreX32
June 6th 2012, 8:24 amKingreX32
i didnt hear. i heard about backwards compatibility. but not the ability to transfer saves and vc data
Chickgoboom
June 6th 2012, 2:01 pmChickgoboom
Didn't Nintendo already say that they planned to do this last year?
GhastlyRockets
June 6th 2012, 6:10 pmGhastlyRockets
Good grief @KingreX32 and @Onlinemedia it was confirmed by Nintendo last year, but it would appear that most of the media has forgotten that information Nintendo gave them lol. Laughing
gamerace
Actually, I wonder how this would work. My original Wii - with probably a couple hundred dollars worth of VC/WW games on it - is dead and gone. If the WiiU pulls the listing from your Nintendo account - maybe I could get them all back. Nice. victory
Aussiegamer
June 7th 2012, 11:50 pmAussiegamer
Fabulous news mates! :-D
SKTTR
Was expecting this...

With this official announcement now, anyone who was on the fence about the "Wii Shop to WiiU transfer feature" can now download more good Virtual Console and WiiWare games.

I guess there might be some games (licensed and removed ones) that don't make the cut (like it was the case in the "DSi-to-3DS transfer") There's a chance some of your games won't be transferable and downloadable and will stay on your Wii. I hope there is a way around it so everything is transferable.
WarfmasterST
June 10th 2012, 12:30 amWarfmasterST
Not surprised, but still fantastic news. Smile
Otaku
It is nice to know that I will be able to transfer my Wiiware and vc games to my WiiU Very Happy
Sneaker
I'm glad that it's possible to take the WiiWare and VC games with me to the Wii U. I'm curious if with a transfer it is still possible to play the games on the Wii.
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)