Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jnes5
Jnes5
Bowser has invaded the Star Haven, stole the Star Rod and has imprisoned the seven Star Spirits who guarded the Star rod ! and now Bowser's fortress becomes attached to Princess Peach's castle and lifts it up to the sky ! sadly, the Star Rod makes Bowser invincible, so it's up to mario to save the seven Star Spirits in order to lend them their power to thwart Bowser once and for all !

Story
Even though the story isn't anything original, the whole story has quite a cheery and charming tone behind it ! it also has some humor as well, while it's not going to make you die-laughing, it does serve it's purpose of it being charm and cheery, the game can also change it's tone a little, but not by much, so overall, the story is so good that you can't help but feel the charming and cheery tone it has it following !

Gameplay
The game plays like an RPG, but it has it's own unique twist that's makes the mario RPGs a one of a kind ! but first things first, the game can take place in a lot of overworlds, some of which are long and some of which are small, and sometimes it can include physical obstacles in your way and you, as mario, can jump and use his hammer to overcome to them, but some might require you to think and explore in order to solve them, but not only that, the game also includes "partners", which are your allies where they can not only help you fight enemies, but they can help you with the game's puzzles that they can only solve, since many of the game's puzzles and boundaries are based upon the abilities of Mario's partners, you can accumulate partners as they advance into different locations, you can only have one partner that can accompany Mario in the overworld, but you can interchange between them at any time, and the best part of all, your partners have no HP ! so that's means that when they take damage, this results in temporary paralysis on them where they cannot attack, but they will never get KO'd, the gameplay on all the overworlds feel like an adventure-oriented puzzle game, and they keep the game from not being just an RPG.

And this is where the uniqueness comes from ! one of the things that make this game unique from some other RPGs is that you can control the actions when mario and a partner or an enemy is going to attack ! a little early in the game, you will obtain an item called a "Lucky Star" which will give you the ability to use the "Action Command", with this you can influence the power of a move when attacking or defending by timing a button-press accurately or performing some other action command as required, like pressing a button repeatedly, tilting the control stick and letting it go in a certain moment, with this you can double up your attacks and reduce half the damage when you're defending ! This is pretty great and it's definitely worth it because it feels like you're helping mario in this game ! another thing in the battle system is that Mario and his partners have a capacity called "Flower Points" (FP), which is the equivalent of magic in RPGs, which these can allow you and your partners to perform special moves, but each of these moves can consume a particular number of flower points when performed, so you must choose to use them wisely.

Other things included are the "Star Points", which are the equivalent of experience points, in which unlike other RPGs, you only need to collect 100 of them to level up, and the capacity does not increase in any way, while this might sound easy to level up, here's the thing, when you level up in a certain area full of enemies, those enemies might decrease the number of Star Points they drop but even that, and this is one of the best parts of the game, is that you don't really need to level up in order to proceed ! the only thing that you need to rely on, are your skills... and your use of badges ! The badges are items you can collect and each of them have and advantage of helping you on a certain manner, like for example, one badge can increase your attack power, one can increase your health, one can gain another special move, some can make you invulnerable to some things, and much much more ! however, each badge consumes a set number of" Badge Points" (BP), meaning that you can only equip a limited number of badges at a time, so choose which are the ones you think they will help you in the game ! There is also an on-screen gauge to display Star Energy, which is required to perform another type of move if you saved a star spirit, and each of them have a unique move that can help you in battle, and they can raise your gauge as you advance throughout the game, you can also locate hidden battle upgrades in the game's overworld, which promotes one partner character to a new rank at a time and they can be stronger as well !

All of this and more, the game is really fun and very awesome as well ! however, even though some overworlds might not be fun, the game is still very great with it's gameplay and uniqueness !

Graphics
Since the game is called "Paper Mario", the game's visuals feature two-dimensional character cut-out designs contained within three-dimensional backgrounds, and the 2D characters look really good ! they look just like a cartoon, and because of that, they never aged at all for how cartoonishly good they look ! as for the 3D backgrounds... yeah, those are the ones that haven't aged well at all, but the thing is, some of them look kind of bland, that not even when this game was released back then they weren't going to look good in any way ! but as it is, the whole game's graphics are nice.

Music and Sound
The soundtrack of this game is ok, some of them are very catchy, some of them set a great mood, some of them are decent, some of them are very awesome... as you can see, the soundtrack has a lot of variety when it comes with songs.

The sounds are cutesy and some of them sound a little bit low quality, but as they are, they sound ok, and as for the voice acting... there isn't any, at all ! not even grumbles or anything like that ! they are just a tiny few of them, but overall, there isn't any !

Presentation
The game is kind of represented as a storybook, the game is divided in chapters, the game's progression depends upon interaction non-player characters (NPCs), who will often offer clues or details for the next chapter, and as I've said, the game does a good work on having a charming and cutesy tone in the whole game.

And as for the replayability, this game has a lot of it ! you can collect the badges, you can maximise your level, you can collect the star peices, youcan play the minigames this game includes, you can do some hidden sidequests, all of this and they're pretty fun to do as well ! so there is no worries there if you're looking to be busy with a game !

Price
The game costs 1000 Nintendo points, but thrust me, it's money well spent !

Overall
The game is a great mario RPG ! it has some great gameplay and a charming storyline ! and even if there are some things that needed a few tweaks, this game is still a must get ! but you might be skeptical if you REALLY love Super Mario RPG for the SNES or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door for the GCN, but otherwise, don't hesitate and buy this if you like RPGs ! and as for me, this game gets...

a 9/10

9- Awesome This game has little in the way of flaws, and is a highly enjoyable experience.

Paper Mario (N64) - Page 1 Paper-mario-box-art

Paper Mario (N64) - Page 1 PaperMario2

Paper Mario (N64) - Page 1 Paper_mario_003

Paper Mario (N64) - Page 1 Pm

Last edited by Jnes5 on February 13th 2012, 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Also on PSN ! PSN: jnesDX
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Jnes5
September 6th 2011, 11:20 pmJnes5
Chickgoboom wrote:Great review Very Happy so when can we expect Super Mario Rpg for the SNES virtual console to be reviewed Question

... Was that a suggestion ? Wink
Supertimbros
September 7th 2011, 12:07 pmSupertimbros
This is a great game that is fun even for adults!
@Jnes5 I think that was a request Laughing
I for one would like to see a F-Zero X review or maybe a Blast Corps review Wink
Link_i_am
September 7th 2011, 2:24 pmLink_i_am
Paper Mario was a decent game but I prefer The Thousand Year Door and Super Mario RPG over this game
Inuyasha4z2
September 7th 2011, 6:51 pmInuyasha4z2
This is the first game of a series that is one of Miyamoto's most brilliant creations I love you
Bashful1996
September 9th 2011, 3:41 pmBashful1996
Paper Mario is one of the best N64 games on the wii shop Very Happy
Andy
September 9th 2011, 3:54 pmAndy
Bashfull, you seem to have glitched and posted the same thing two times. Don't worry, i deleted the 2nd one! Smile
Cloud_Strife
September 9th 2011, 4:01 pmCloud_Strife
A genuinely perfect review as always Jnes5...... Smile
Ms_Kinomoto
September 22nd 2011, 5:45 pmMs_Kinomoto
Oh my gosh this sounds so fun Surprised
Trinity33
November 9th 2011, 2:12 pmTrinity33
I enjoyed your review Jnes5.
KingreX32
November 30th 2011, 5:59 pmKingreX32
SigourneyBeaver wrote:Yes this is a great review.....but why are you the only one reviewing games right now Jnes5?

Ive posted two reviews this week. So cheak those out.
Link_i_am
November 30th 2011, 6:05 pmLink_i_am
Nintendo knows how to make a good rpg king
Kenshin A-Go-Go
January 5th 2012, 11:58 amKenshin A-Go-Go
Marioman18 wrote:This game is so funny I mean how many games feature a character that is a woman with a beard like merlin called merluvly Laughing
LOL Laughing
Anonymous
June 30th 2012, 1:06 pmGuest
Beautiful review Jnes5! I love you
Anonymous
October 18th 2013, 2:12 pmGuest
I just beat the game for my very first time! I love you
It is a shame that recent Paper Mario games are not RPGs anymore. Sad
Elza
December 5th 2013, 3:55 pmElza
I love this game so much and I liked its Gamecube sequel even more. Smile
Permissions in this forum: