Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Anonymous
We at Nintendo sincerely thank you for your continued patronage of our company’s products. We would like to inform you that a portion of the network services offered through the Wii console will be discontinued starting June 28, 2013.

We apologize to those of you currently using these services, and ask for your understanding. The affected applications are as follows:

• Forecast Channel

• News Channel

• Everybody Votes Channel

• Nintendo Channel

• Check Mii Out Channel

• Data exchange between Wii friends on WiiConnect24*

*Wii message exchanges via Wii Message Board, Mii exchanges via Mii Channel, and exchanges of messages or data in some game titles will no longer be possible.

Following the discontinuation, the above services will not be available even if they are started up on the Wii menu. However, services other than those mentioned above, such as the automatic receipt of “Today’s Accomplishments” on the Wii Message Board and the Wii Shop Channel are unaffected and can continue to be used.

Source: Nintendo
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Akatsuki
At least you'll keep your internet channel and shop no?
NINTENBRO
^ Yes, at least the WiiShop and internet browser applications will still be fully functional.
visicalc
That's a shame, the News and Forecast channels were my favourites. :-(

I used to spend a lot of time viewing those, I found them more useful than watching television.
KokorOtaku
Oh well my wii fried anyway and I'm onto gen 8 as fully as I plan to
gamerace
I'm not impressed with this. They are still selling Wii's for crying out loud. I would expect these services (maybe not Nintendo Channel) to continue for at least six months to a year AFTER they've discontinued the system.

For those just buying a Wii now, this is really an injustice. Not a huge injustice but I sure wouldn't be happy to buy a system and then discover promised features don't work.

I hope they don't discontinue Wii's online gaming next.
Anonymous
True that. Injustice indeed. Why break down a good selling product by bits and pieces while the Wii has not been discontinued yet? I really don't understand Nintendo's marketing strategies sometimes. I think it's time to stand up, make a petition and send it off to their HQ PR.
Akatsuki
Mariokart Wii will have its online removed on July 25th in Japan. Why remove such a popular online game so soon?
Anonymous
GLUP! Crying or Very sad It's my favourite!
visicalc
In the UK I don't even think you can still buy the original Wii 'brand new' from stores. A lot of retailers only stock the Wii Mini which of course has no online functionality whatsoever.

I'm just thinking out loud here but if Nintendo are cancelling the online features for Mario Kart Wii on July 25th maybe that's when they'll be announcing Mario Kart for the Wii U? :-)

Or maybe they'll announce it earlier at E3 in Los Angeles on June 11-13? :-D
Anonymous
This is really upsetting news Sad . @Akatsuki: can you confirm this by adding an official source, please? And if so, anyone interested in having new Mario Kart Wii tournaments soon before Nintendo pulls the plug on those channels?
gamerace
Samantha wrote:This is really upsetting news Sad . @Akatsuki: can you confirm this by adding an official source, please? And if so, anyone interested in having new Mario Kart Wii tournaments soon before Nintendo pulls the plug on those channels?
I'm game for a MK tournament - but those channels won't affect MK online.
Anonymous
@gamerace:
Akatsuki wrote:Mariokart Wii will have its online removed on July 25th in Japan. Why remove such a popular online game so soon?

Nice, anyone else? Zack? Anyone? If you join us in a Mario Kart Wii tournament, Zack, we're 3. We can have 12 players maximum in a GP.
KeAfan7
I'd join if I could find myself a new copy of Mario Kart Wii. Neutral
Anonymous
@Rukiafan: gamerace is selling Mario Kart Wii, but I'm not sure if he has 2 copies (I have 3) and will still be able to join Rolling Eyes
KeAfan7
@Gamerace we can't allow discussions about modding consoles and such due to legal reasons. We can get in trouble for not moderating such posts so I'm going to delete your post.

Is your copy of MKW a NTSC version btw?
gamerace
No prob.

All my games are NSTC (except Operation Rainfall titles)

Mario Kart was my step-sons. It's missing the book and the disc is a little scratched (works fine). I'll let it go cheap.
Anonymous
@gamerace: Do you still have a copy for yourself?
@Rukiafan: Please, refer to https://www.wiiwarewave.com/t3327-wii-games-for-sale-good-great-condition for further details.
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)