Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)Yesterday at 4:40 pmTheGingerDoctorWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amTheGingerDoctorNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amTheGingerDoctor
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An Off-The-Rails Epic Adventure With Class VII!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) Waterm23

Developed by Nihon Falcom Games, the developer best-known in the western hemisphere for its Ys series. We have recently fallen in absolute love with the Trails series which is one of the most well thought out series we've ever experienced! Does the third entry in the Trails of Cold Steel arc of the series live up to the previous two games? We think so and here's why!

After a nearly three year wait, Class VII is finally back in session, but this time you, as Rean Shwarzer take on the role of instructor of the class in the newly built Thors Branch Campus. The game starts off quite similarly to the first Trails of Cold Steel title, and there are tons of nods and parallels to the first game between the storytelling and the structure of the game's chapters.

Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) Waterm24

the game is a whopper in length as it can easily take well over 150 hours to do a 100% run and nearly 250 hours minimum to earn the platinum trophy. Divine Knight battles return, but the system has been streamlined and is much more fun this time around!

Battles have also been revamped with new turn bonuses as well as the new order command system that allows you to use BP to issue orders that grant beneficial buffs and effects for a set number of turns which adds another strategic layer to the series' already deceptively deep battles! The menues have been streamlined as well both in and outside of battles and visually look much tidier which is a nice touch!

Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) Waterm25

The controls are flawless in this game and the game's difficulty is well-balanced regardless of which level of difficulty you select, though Nightmare is not recommended during your first playthrough. The visuals in this game are by far more detailed and gorgeous than the first two Cold Steel titles, with excellent lighting, and amazingly detailed textures and character models! The music is amazing as well, though a few of the best tracks are missing from previous games which is a shame, but otherwise the audio-visual presentation is simply flawless!

Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) Waterm26

The Nintendo Switch Difference: The Switch version of the game brings with it a slight visual downgrade, but this pales in comparison to the improvement of the frame-rate when compared to the PS4 version. Gone are the slight frequent dips in frames and jerky movement, but even better is that you can play the game on the go with almost no drop in resolution or graphical quality compared to playing in docked mode. Overall we'd say the Switch version is the superior port of this game, the only downside is parts I & II still aren't available on Nintendo's hardware which needs to be rectified at some point.

Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) Waterm27

Bottom-Line: With an amazing story, excellent gameplay, flawless controls, and an absolutely fantastic audio-visual presentation, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III is one of the best JRPG's of the generation and there's really no reason not to add it to your Nintendo Switch collection of games. better frame-rate and almost no drop in graphical quality in handheld mode make this version the definitive port of the game! We do highly recommend playing the first two Cold Steel games first, however. Overall we give the game a perfect level of recommendation!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Score: ★★★★★★★★★★ 10/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#Review #NISA #NihonFalcom #Switch #eShop #PS4 #Retail #PSN #JRPG #PerfectScore

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Towafan7 on June 28th 2020, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) 19654

Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) 87457210

Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!

Staroceancrazy, DigiDestined, Kenshin A-Go-Go, Akatsuki, SonicKnuckles, Navi, Killeryoshii and like this post

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
Our review is now live! Enjoy! Wink

TheGingerDoctor, Kain, Aqua Cherry Blossom and Inoue79 like this post

Kain
Amazing review! This is well-deserving of your perfect score! victory

Staroceancrazy, DigiDestined, SonicKnuckles, Krazyredd, TheGingerDoctor, Aqua Cherry Blossom, Kitty Cat Meow Meow and Inoue79 like this post

Inoue79
Nice review! Smile

TheGingerDoctor and Aqua Cherry Blossom like this post

Aqua Cherry Blossom
@Towafan7 Nice review lol. Smile

TheGingerDoctor likes this post

TheGingerDoctor
@Towafan7 No freaking way... Surprised

Nihon Falcom Games included an expy of you in a commercially-available game! AND they made him the lead character rather than an unlockable or hidden Easter egg! That is SERIOUSLY Fronking awesome, dude! Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) 631737971

...oh, you based your previous username on the character, not... the other way a-... heheh... (WOW, this is embarrassing... Retail - Review: The Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel III (Switch Retail) 1625187496 )

Either way, this game looks amazing, and it'd be a must if I didn't currently have so many setbacks and restrictions (long story, tell you later). A protagonist who wields a sword and is enrolled at an academy for the gifted and talented... that sounds familiar... Rolling Eyes

Eh, I'm sure it'll come to me. Superb review as always, *fiduca ad-Egum. Wink

(*Translation: "my friend")

KeAfan7, Staroceancrazy, DigiDestined, SonicKnuckles, Krazyredd, Aqua Cherry Blossom, Kitty Cat Meow Meow and like this post

Akatsuki
Wonderful review @Towafan7.

KeAfan7, Staroceancrazy, TheGingerDoctor and Aqua Cherry Blossom like this post

Kenshin A-Go-Go
Great review!

Talesfanatic
Nice review!

KeAfan7
@Akatsuki Oh man it's good to see you! Welcome back dude! victory

Staroceancrazy, DigiDestined, Krazyredd, TheGingerDoctor, Aqua Cherry Blossom and Kitty Cat Meow Meow like this post

Staroceancrazy
Awesome review @Towafan7 Exclamation

ToughGamer
Great review!

RWBY_Red
Good review @Towafan7.

Kitty Cat Meow Meow
Excellent review meow! cat

TheGingerDoctor, catfood and Aqua Cherry Blossom like this post

TheGingerDoctor
@Kitty Cat Meow Meow Eee! A full-odds shiny Decolorean Meowth! SurprisedLoveHappy

Oooookay... maybe I need to dial back on the daily Pokémon gameplay a little... as soon as I find that Zorua. And finish that Isle of Armor sidequest. And locate the other missing Alolan Diglett. And find Aether President Lusamine. And earn the Hive Badge from Bugsy... WOW, this post has gotten cross-generation-ly meta...

...hm? Why do you all have a pre-pun smirk on your faces? What pun? All I have is some advice: Always, always carry plenty of Quick Balls and Dusk Balls when shiny hunting, and make sure one of your party knows False Swipe, otherwise the results could be decidedly, mood-deflatingly gross. Razz

DigiDestined, SonicKnuckles, Krazyredd, catfood, Aqua Cherry Blossom, Kitty Cat Meow Meow, Golden_Toad and BurstDashV8 like this post

BurstDashV8
@GeekyGamerJack

Right on for referencing POKEMON Aloha region, my good friend. Alternative Hello

That is one of my most favorite regions along side Unova, Kylos and most recently Galar on the Switch. Alternative Thumb's-

I'm a big fan for both Lille and her Mother Lusamine, also not to forget about Gladion as he made an awesome impression as a worthy rival. sonic 😉

And as usual, your funny bone of yours always can really funny especially as you pulled it off that get people giggle from the inside or even laughing out loud (hance we read online as 'LOL'). Feeling Wonderful  Who knows? Pool Weather / Hot

So please keep up the great humor for us to enjoy. victory

Well, gotta dash. Who knows?  VROOOOM!  sonic

DigiDestined, SonicKnuckles, Krazyredd, TheGingerDoctor, catfood, Aqua Cherry Blossom and Golden_Toad like this post

catfood
@BurstDashV8 @GeekyGamerJack Lmao! @Towafan7 Great review!

DigiDestined
Nice review. Rean is I love you

KeAfan7
Thanks for the feedback you guys and gals! king

Killeryoshii
Good review @Towafan7.

Navi
Awesome review Towa! Kupo!

SonicKnuckles
It is hard to believe, but the Class VII saga comes to an end next month. RIP

Golden_Toad
Sweet review dude! Cool

Krazyredd
What a Krazy good review!

KokorOtaku
Man I really should go back to this game as I only beat the prologue, but I’ve been waiting for 1 and 2 to get localized for Switch but sadly that may never happen

KeAfan7
@KokorOtaku Unfortunately that is unlikely at this point since ToCS I & II are in limbo since no one owns rights to the western localizations anymore. Sad

KokorOtaku
I finally got to Chapter 2 today so yay progress

Amufungal, TheGingerDoctor and Aqua Cherry Blossom like this post

KokorOtaku
I’m playing this again now that Xenoblade 3 is beat, I made it to Chapter 3 and I’m hoping to beat this before NeiR Automata comes to Switch in October

Amufungal, TheGingerDoctor and Aqua Cherry Blossom like this post

KokorOtaku
I just beat it last night!

Amufungal and TheGingerDoctor like this post

Amufungal
KokorOtaku wrote:I just beat it last night!

@KokorOtaku Congratulations. Smile

TheGingerDoctor likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)