Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)April 28th 2024, 1:17 pmKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amRyanNerdyGamerNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amRyanNerdyGamer
TechnicalIssues8
TechnicalIssues8
Admin

~~~Down in the dungeon~~~

Review: Warlock's Tower (PS4 PSN) Ap_f3910

Developed by Midipixel and published by Ratalaika, Warlock’s Tower is a retro-styled dungeon crawler that is heavily math-based.  While the concept is good, the game missed the mark entirely.  Here’s why we think so.

Review: Warlock's Tower (PS4 PSN) Ap_fc710

While graphics are rudimentary, the game feels completely in its own genre in the beginning.  It’s exciting, and one holds high hopes for its entirety.  The first few floors are simplistic and very easy to complete. The trophies were easy to earn and some of the dialogue was quirky. However, once I passed the first phase, my perception of the game changed rapidly.

Eager to find out what the factory level had in store, I was sadly disappointed to find a level that I hit a snag.  Spending hours on the level, the effort proved futile.  Giving up and letting two other players, one who has an engineering degree, have a turn was hopeless as well.  Deciding to give it a day and try again, I put the game away for the night and tried again in the morning.

The rest did not improve matters whatsoever.  The level continued giving this reviewer trouble, and eventually, I gave up on it.  While I had hopes for this game, it didn’t deliver.  While it may not be a game for many, those with a strong mathematics background may appreciate it.

The visuals reminded me of NES games of times long passed, but with one flaw.  The display was so close in color that it appeared monotonous and sloppy.  The definition of the steps the character needed to complete was well-handled, but the rest seemed to blend together.  On a more serious note, the title screen features a strobe-light lightning sequence, which people with photo-sensitive seizure disorder could have severe problems.

Review: Warlock's Tower (PS4 PSN) Ap_e0d10

The audio tracks were not much better.  Since it was in retro-style, I fully expected the sound to match.  Upon loading on the title screen, not only is the player assaulted by the busyness of the screen itself but chaotic music that doesn’t make sense.  The range and tempo don’t quite work with the rest of the arrangement, and it compelled me to turn down the volume for the rest of my time playing.

While It’s never pleasant to write a review such as this, it needs to be done to help players make an informed decision when purchasing a new game.  This one is stuck in the dungeon, so it gets 2.5 stars.

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Staroceancrazy
July 22nd 2019, 12:18 pmStaroceancrazy
Ouch Exclamation I feel bad for you having to review this hot garbage Twisted Evil
Kain
August 3rd 2019, 7:17 pmKain
Yikes! This sounds awful. I'll be avoiding this game like the plague. Nice review by the way!
Aqua Cherry Blossom
August 8th 2019, 8:27 amAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review lol. Smile
SuperVash
August 10th 2019, 8:31 pmSuperVash
@TechnicalIssues8 Amazing review man! victory
Amufungal
August 13th 2019, 7:59 pmAmufungal
Nice review. Smile
KeAfan7
August 18th 2019, 11:56 amKeAfan7
Thanks for reviewing this @TechnicalIssues8. Wink