Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)Today at 10:42 amKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amTheGingerDoctorNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amTheGingerDoctor

Total Votes : 6          

KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
Ownership vs. Convenience!

Poll: Which Do You Prefer? Digital or Retail? Header10

It's a question that you've most likely been asked before, but we'd like to know if you prefer digital download versions of games or are physical retail titles your cup of tea? It's the age old question of ownership vs. convenience and it's something many people either dread or enjoy.

Let us know your choice by voting and leaving us your thoughts in our comments below!

Poll: Which Do You Prefer? Digital or Retail? 19654

Poll: Which Do You Prefer? Digital or Retail? 87457210

Poll: Which Do You Prefer? Digital or Retail? Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KokorOtaku
August 22nd 2015, 2:34 pmKokorOtaku
Digital as of now, if it was all Cartrage used from generation to generation like the Gb was to GBA then I'd choose to do that, but the way it seems even modern day games seem like going digital would be practical in the long run
Anonymous
I love digital because it's so convenient! I love you
I also don't have much space so it's nice not having compact discs cluttering my room! I love you
Sneaker
August 23rd 2015, 4:05 amSneaker
Big fan of retail. I love something I can hold in my hands. Read the cover, look at the instruction booklet, take the cartridge out. However I hate how Nintendo is handeling their retail releases. They used to be so great. Full color pictures, a thick manual with loads of information. I love it. But no, there is no instruction booklet to speak of. Just a leaflet that tell me to look at the electronic manual. So if the price is right, I might go for digital because it is convenience and take up less space.

My Steam libary is huge, because of the cheap prices and interesting deals. But I love the big PC boxes, so awesome. I do fear however, that one day, if Steam or Nintendo decides to close servers and stuff, I can't play my games anymore. That Wii and DS games can't be played online anymore is a shame and I hate seeing it ever happen on the WiiU and 3DS which will render some games even more unplayable. It's so great to get my old grey game boy, pop in a cartridge and just play the full game. Even after all these years.
Aqua Cherry Blossom
August 24th 2015, 11:51 amAqua Cherry Blossom
@Sneaker I couldn't agree more.
At least Sony still releases instruction booklets for their games. Rolling Eyes

TheGingerDoctor
August 24th 2015, 3:02 pmTheGingerDoctor
Sneaker wrote:However I hate how Nintendo is handeling their retail releases. They used to be so great. Full color pictures, a thick manual with loads of information. I love it. But no, there is no instruction booklet to speak of. Just a leaflet that tell me to look at the electronic manual.
I think I recall reading somewhere that the reason Nintendo no longer includes a full instruction booklet in their retail titles is due to them wanting to be more environmentally-friendly. When one considers the amount of paper used to print instruction booklets for an entire run of just one game vs. a single cardboard leaflet, it puts things into perspective.

ON-TOPIC: I prefer digital for many reasons:
●Digital games are convenient
●Digital games take up less space
●Digital games are more environmentally-friendly (less/no paper and plastic used to produce them)
●Digital games can't be traded in, meaning no post-trade-in regrets later
●Digital games don't need to be switched out; they're always ready for you to play them

That's why I voted digital. victory
Sneaker
August 24th 2015, 3:26 pmSneaker
I understand it's for the environment, I just don't like it. They save a lot by releasing games digital. So I think they can make the retail versions special again. I even won't mind paying a couple of bucks extra just for a wonderful manual with nice artwork like in the old days. There really isn't much reason that makes the retail version more special.
SKTTR
I'm going 100% digital on Wii U, but I'll switch to retail again next gen and will only download DL-only games but no disc games anymore.

The reason: Prices on retail are lower.

You can often find much better sales on retail than in the eShop.
I skipped so many good games because of that.
I can't buy a game from the eShop if it exists cheaper on retail.

Examples:
Need for Speed Most Wanted U - 22,00€ retail / 59,99€ download
Bayonetta 2 - 20,00€ retail / 29,99€ download (but only if you bought Bayo1)

Games like Game&Wario, LEGO City Undercover, Scribblenauts Unlimited, and many more were 10 bucks cheaper on retail at launch! In the eShop they're still at their highest price point and never were on sale while on retail the prices drop more and more.

TheGingerDoctor
August 30th 2015, 8:12 pmTheGingerDoctor
I should clarify that at times I do prefer retail, which usually consists of bundle packages such as:

●Skylanders Starter Packs
●Disney Infinity Starter Packs
●Select Wii U software bundles

For the most part, however, I prefer digital.
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)