Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)Today at 10:42 amKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amTheGingerDoctorNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amTheGingerDoctor
Gamergy
Gamergy
Bringing back the touch generation

Brain Age arrived in EU and Japan a while ago in late June, and it was the first DS game to be released on the Wii U Virtual Console (NA got snubbed, but oh well) It has been out a while with no other releases, but we’re hopeful. So hopeful that here is a list of the 10 most wanted DS games for the Wii U VC!

Rules about this list to keep in mind:

-This list is pre-3DS release (March 2011)
-Some on this list are game series
-I am listing games I have, and a few I missed out on but have heard amazing things about.
-Some are long shots, but we can dream, right?

Lets get to the list!

Honorable mentions:

New Super Mario Bros.
Pokemon Pearl/Diamond
Phoenix Wright games

10) Advance Wars Games (Duel Strike/Days of Ruin)

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC Advance_Wars_DS_cover_art

As a fan of strategy games, I will accept any decent strategy game with open arms. However Advance Wars is a good strategy game, a really good one. I have yet to play the DS games, but with my ~2 hour game time of the GBA original, I can say that it is indeed a good series. In fact the original is on the Wii U VC!

9) Metroid Prime: Hunters

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC Mph_cover_updated

E3 was awesome for Nintendo, but as with every year at Nintendo’s E3, people are complaining about something that wasn’t shown. This year it was the absence of Metroid. I have never played Hunters, but I knew people who loved it. Unfortunately Nintendo’s Wi-Fi connection has been shut down, so I will not get to experience the game to its fullest. Nintendo posting Metroid Prime: Hunters on the Wii U VC could be a test for the demand for a new Metroid, and possibly pick up a few who originally missed out (like me)

8 ) The World Ends With You

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC The_World_Ends_With_You

Ok, let me start off by saying I don’t know much about this game, but I remember when everyone was talking about it; and they wouldn’t stop talking about it. If you can get a group of gamers that will still talk about a 6-year-old game, it must have been a hit. I’m not sure if it would work well with the gamepad/TV combo, but this game would be nice to have access to.

7) The Legend of Zelda DS games (Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks)

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC The_Legend_of_Zelda_Phantom_Hourglass_Game_Cover

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are the most obvious choices on the list. The touchscreen controls are loved by some but hated by others, just like Skyward Sword. Even if they are a little odd, Phantom Hourglass’ controls made great use of the touchscreen; and I think that the larger screen of the Wii U gamepad would improve the experience. With a larger screen you can see more while you’re slashing around the touch screen, something that I had a problem with in Phantom Hourglass. I wish to try Spirit Tracks someday, and maybe it will be on the Wii U VC.

6) Trauma Center: Under the Knife 1&2

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC Trauma%2Bcenter-1

While I haven’t played Trauma Center: Under the Knife, I have played Trauma Center: New Blood, and I loved it. If you’ve played any game in the series, you will know that the series is difficult. It’s kind of fitting, considering the Trauma Center games have you play as a surgeon. It’s a creative and interesting concept, and I’d love to see some VC games that offer this kind of creativity.

5) Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC Ctwbox

I have never been a big fan of GTA, but it seems like just about every other gamer is. The only GTA game to come out on a Nintendo console sold horribly, even though it’s the highest rated DS game on Metacritic. It’s sad that a big series like GTA couldn’t sell well on a system as popular as the DS, which is probably why we haven’t seen any signs of GTA on Wii U or 3DS. Even though I could argue why I don’t like GTA, a majority of gamers really love the series, and that’s why Chinatown Wars is on this list.

4) Mario & Luigi games (Partners in Time/Bowser's Inside Story)

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC Mario_%26_Luigi_3_NA_Cover

If there’s one genre Wii U needs more of, it is RPGs. The Mario & Luigi games are a perfect fit, because the GBA original Superstar Saga is on the Wii U VC (fantastic game by the way) so why not add the rest of the Mario & Luigi games? Bowser’s Inside Story was a great RPG, and would fit well with switching from the TV to the gamepad. Partners in Time is yet another I haven’t played, but I heard it wasn’t near as good as Bowser’s Inside Story. Please Nintendo, give us more RPGs that the Wii U needs, even if that’s through a virtual console release.

3) Professor Layton games (Curious Village/Diabolical Box/Unwound Future)

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC Professor_Layton_and_the_Curious_Village_NA_Boxart

I didn’t have any interest in the Layton series until someone personally recommended it to me. So I looked into it, and ended up getting it as a gift from a relative. I immediately fell in love with the series. I loved the puzzles and the stories that came with them. So if I could go from zero interest to huge fan, why can’t others? The Layton series would be great for Wii U; you only need to focus on one screen at a time, so it would be easy to handle. Considering Nintendo and Level 5 just finished the main Layton series, it would be a nice revival of the first 3 games, or possibly a collection of them.

2) Hotel Dusk & Last Window

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC Hotel_Dusk

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is the gem of the Nintendo DS that I never hear anyone talk about. The story sucked me in and remains my favorite story from any game I’ve played; It’s that good. The problem was it was a visual novel. A really good one, but nonetheless it wasn’t a “game” in a traditional sense. That’s not necessarily bad, a lot of games can rely on story alone to make a good game. Hotel Dusk received a sequel, Last Window, but it never made it to North America. (I’m still bitter about that) Before this goes into an article on its own, the last thing I’ll add is that Hotel Dusk uses the same hold-the-DS-sideways style of game that Brain Training uses, and that worked out quite well.

1) Elite Beat Agents

Top 10 Most Wanted DS Games for Wii U VC Elite_Beat_Agents

Elite Beat Agents was a lot of things. Goofy? Yes. Unique? Yep. Cheesy? You bet kid. Most importantly, it was fun. In fact, I don’t think I’ve had more fun with a DS game. Elite Beat Agents is a blast to play, the gameplay concept is something I’ve never seen from any other game, and it’s awesome. The biggest problem with bringing EBA to Wii U is the soundtrack. Honestly, when was the last time you heard Sk8er Boi on the radio? Soundtrack aside, I still think EBA needs to make an appearance in some form, and the Wii U VC might be a possibility.

What did you think about this list? Were any games on this list surprising? What other DS games are you hopeful for? Do you hate some of these games and think I’m crazy? Join the discussion in the comments!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Gamergy
August 21st 2014, 3:54 pmGamergy
I figure I would add this in the comments:

I can't stress enough how amazing Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Elite Beat Agents are, and they're both super cheap (both under $10 on amazon) If you own a DS, 2DS, or 3DS do yourself a favor and play these two. They're both a bit odd, but you will not go wrong with those purchases, especially for the price. In the words of Adrian Monk, "You'll thank me later"

Now if you excuse me I need to revisit these two games.
KeAfan7
August 21st 2014, 6:03 pmKeAfan7
@Gamergy your article is brilliant! I know it wasn't well received, but I would like to see the DS Golden Sun title released at some point because it was a good game despite its quirky flaws. Wink
Gamergy
August 21st 2014, 7:14 pmGamergy
@Rukiafan I never finished Dark Dawn, got stuck pushing statues on ice or something kept me from advancing. Haven't played it in a year or three. Golden Sun is on the GBA VC, and I believe Golden Sun: The Lost Age is on or coming to the Japanese VC. So maybe we will see Dark Dawn.
KokorOtaku
August 21st 2014, 7:29 pmKokorOtaku
Okamiden, Ghost Trick, Appolo Justice, Dragon Quest V, Final Fantasy IV, and of imports appear Tingles Rosy Rupee Land
Staroceancrazy
August 22nd 2014, 11:38 amStaroceancrazy
Awesome feature! Very Happy
Amufungal
August 23rd 2014, 7:24 pmAmufungal
I would love to see Pokemon Diamond And Pearl and Pokemon Black And White on the Wii U Smile
Ragnarok
August 24th 2014, 12:40 amRagnarok
Great feature!
RWBY_Red
August 29th 2014, 12:35 pmRWBY_Red
I would like to see the Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV remakes released. Smile
MetroidBlaster
September 5th 2014, 2:40 pmMetroidBlaster
Great feature! I'd like to see more RPG's on that list though.
Supertimbros
September 6th 2014, 12:10 pmSupertimbros
Great feature I enjoyed reading! Very Happy
.hacker
September 6th 2014, 2:51 pm.hacker
I agree with all of the games on the list! Great feature!
Haseo
September 7th 2014, 11:28 amHaseo
Nice list, but Pokemon is missing from your list.
KingreX32
October 16th 2014, 6:48 pmKingreX32
Do you know how SICK.........Metroid Prime Hunters would look on WiiU. Id download that in a heartbeat. And the Dementium games. Oh man you got me daydreaming again.
TheGingerDoctor
February 22nd 2015, 6:58 pmTheGingerDoctor
Personally, I'd prefer DS VC games on the 3DS, aka where they belong. Having said that, these are the top DS games I'd most like to see on either 3DS or Wii U:

●Super Mario 64 DS
●New Super Mario Bros.
●Mario Kart DS
●Mario Party DS
●The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
●The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
●Kirby Super Star Ultra
●Advance Wars: Dual Strike

As for these other two titles, I'd much rather they be in the 3DS eShop:

●Pokémon HeartGold Version
●Pokémon SoulSilver Version

Those would be amazing titles to have as part of the service. Smile