Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Tasuki
Tasuki
R.I.P. THQ: Developers Assests are Sold off MarioTHQBankrupt

Well after a long history of games series today marks the end for THQ.

Founded in 1989 THQ is known for several video game series including Saints Row, WWE: Smackdown series and several other license games which include Disney and Nickelodeon.

Sadly today all of THQ assets were auctioned of to rival companies. Below is a detailed list.

-Koch Media will buy Saint's Row studio Volition and the Metro IP rights after significantly outbidding Ubisoft. Koch is paying $22m for the studio (versus Ubi's offer of $5.4m), and $5.8m for the game rights (versus Ubi's $5.175m)

-Take-Two will buy the Evolve IP, for $10m (a rival offer was made by that game's developer, Turtle Rock, of just $250,000)

-German developer Crytek plans to buy the Homefront IP - it was already signed up to develop a sequel to the game - for $500,000.

-Relic, developer of Company of Heroes and other strategy games, will go to Sega for $26.6m outbidding Bethesda parent Zenimax by $300,000

-Ubisoft will take the South Park publishing rights for $3.265m and also buy, for $2.5m, the new studio THQ Montreal (which ended up employing some of Ubi's former creative staff from Assassin's Creed

Curiously WWE is not included in the list but rumors are pointing that Take Two parent company of 2K are in discussions in buying the WWE license.

So what do you guys think?

Source Kotaku
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Marioman18
January 24th 2013, 12:01 pmMarioman18
I've never even heard of Koch Media before? scratch
Tasuki
January 24th 2013, 7:09 pmTasuki
Marioman18 wrote:I've never even heard of Koch Media before? scratch

Koch Media is a German based developer. For video games they use the name Deep Silver. More info about them can be found at the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Media
KingreX32
January 24th 2013, 7:11 pmKingreX32
This Sucks, THQ has been in business along time, its sad. This reminds me of the time when Viseral Games and EA Blackbox went under .
KingreX32
January 27th 2013, 1:55 pmKingreX32
can i ask who moved this topic back to general discussions and removed the editing
NINTENBRO
January 27th 2013, 2:39 pmNINTENBRO
I have no idea who did that KingreX32, and I don't know why anybody would.
Tasuki
January 27th 2013, 2:45 pmTasuki
I dont have any idea who would either. Could it perhaps be some glitch in the system?
NINTENBRO
January 27th 2013, 2:54 pmNINTENBRO
That's very plausible Tasuki, as there have been instances where reviews or articles just seem to have mysteriously vanished into thin air. Sad
KingreX32
January 28th 2013, 8:09 amKingreX32
alright its its been fixed
Tasuki
February 13th 2013, 10:48 pmTasuki
Well another chapter to the end of THQ closing down has ended. According to various sources an agreement has been reached between Take Two, WWE and Yukes. Which means that Take Two has acquired the WWE video game license. This could be interesting and it will be interesting to see Take Two's take on the WWE games.
KingreX32
February 14th 2013, 7:54 pmKingreX32
Im not fan of the wrestling games, but I too hope that those guys take good care of the series. I actually cant wait to see what Crytek does with the Homefront series.
Tasuki
February 27th 2013, 9:00 amTasuki
Well it looks like another round of THQ auctions is set for this April. According to various places on the web including Gonintendo.com and Gamefaqs.com, The rest of THQ's IPs including Darksiders, Red Faction, Homeworld, MX, Big Beach Sporsts, Destroy all Humans, and Summoner will be on the auction block. Also on the block are licensed material such as Marvel Super Hero Squad, Supreme Commander and Worms.

So maybe the Darksiders series isn't dead after all.
Anonymous
February 27th 2013, 12:22 pmGuest
Isn't Ogre Battle one of their IP's?
KingreX32
February 27th 2013, 12:26 pmKingreX32
Tasuki wrote:Well it looks like another round of THQ auctions is set for this April. According to various places on the web including Gonintendo.com and Gamefaqs.com, The rest of THQ's IPs including Darksiders, Red Faction, Homeworld, MX, Big Beach Sporsts, Destroy all Humans, and Summoner will be on the auction block. Also on the block are licensed material such as Marvel Super Hero Squad, Supreme Commander and Worms.

So maybe the Darksiders series isn't dead after all.

I dont think any of thiers series are dead, especially if they are being bought by other studios.
KingreX32
January 21st 2014, 9:02 pmKingreX32
I gotta ask, why didnt Nintendo bid on any of these IP's or Studious. It could have been a great thing to have under its belt.
RyanNerdyGamer
January 21st 2014, 9:12 pmRyanNerdyGamer
I hope the Worms go to a good home.
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)