Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)Yesterday at 5:27 pmKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amTheGingerDoctorNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amTheGingerDoctor
KingreX32
KingreX32
Admin
Written By KingreX32
WiiU Game Pad has no Multi Touch NoMultiTouch

In an interview with Kotaku, Nintendo President of America Reggie Fils-Aime, has released some new information regarding the WiiU; mainly that the console will not support Multi-touch. For those of you who do not know, Multi touch is the ability to use more than one finger as input on a touch device. An Example of this is the ability to zoom into pictures on your Iphone, by pitching the screen.

In the interview Reggie had this to say "When we went through the building of this and, given some of the functionality, we thought that single-touch was a more appropriate option, especially when you've got other button configurations." He went on the say “The concept of putting it in your lap to do multi-touch for us just feels unwieldy."

In a gameplay sense multi-touch really isn’t the best way to go, but some say that this may hurt Nintendo in the future. I’m not to sure why, but hey there will always be critics. Tell us what you think in the comments.

Source

Kotaku

http://kingrex32.webs.com/

WiiU Game Pad has no Multi Touch Captaincanucksigcopy
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Biorn the Viking
June 12th 2012, 3:31 pmBiorn the Viking
I prefer multi touch. Sad
Marth
June 12th 2012, 8:58 pmMarth
I figured as much since there's a stylus included with the controller. I don't really mind either way since both types of touchscreens have advantages and disadvantages (cheapness probably being the reason for this). This would affect iPhone ports, I guess.
gamerace
June 13th 2012, 4:17 amgamerace
I'm sure this is for cost purposes. Nintendo wants to keep the cost at a reasonable mass market level. Multi-touch are more expensive.

However, beyond that, I think it's a poor decision as it cheapens the perceived value of WiiU and reduces the options for innovative gameplay.
christicehurst
June 13th 2012, 6:30 amchristicehurst
Could you really mult touch and press buttons at the time? You would need three hands to do it
SKTTR
June 13th 2012, 6:33 amSKTTR
Yeah multi touch is necessary for devices without buttons. The WiiU GamePad has enough buttons though. So that leaves multi touch effective for just a few certain game genres and apps.
gamerace
June 13th 2012, 6:53 amgamerace
christicehurst wrote:Could you really mult touch and press buttons at the time? You would need three hands to do it

Just had this conversation with my (adult) son last night. He pointed out, correctly, that Nintendo often shows - or requires - you to remove one hand from the controller to use the touch screen (or lie it down and touch). If you're holding the controller one handed at times anyway, why not multi-touch?
KingreX32
June 13th 2012, 3:08 pmKingreX32
I cant really think of a way that can be useful during gameplay. To me, multi touch really isnt important.
gamerace
June 13th 2012, 7:13 pmgamerace
Multi-touch probably isn't that important really, but it's a perception thing. As all touchscreen devices these days are multi-touch (except Nintendo's) it makes the WiiU look dated before it even comes out and reduces it's perceived value.
Amufungal
June 13th 2012, 8:39 pmAmufungal
Multi touch would be very hard with only two hands and such a large controller Neutral
Clunkermobile
June 18th 2012, 11:13 amClunkermobile
Multi touch would only be useful for gamed that only use touchscreen controls given the size of the tablet and position of the buttons.
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)