Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)Today at 10:42 amKokorOtakuWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amTheGingerDoctorNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amTheGingerDoctor
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
Pricy Gem!

photo c6d31271-579b-4798-a4a7-c29a8cf38abf_zps441256f1.jpg

During discussions with Eurogamer, Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning has been talking about the upcoming titles in the series including the HD remake of the original Oddworld title, Oddworld New 'n' Tasty which according to Lanning will be one of the most expensive download only tiles on the Wii U eshop.

Lanning plans to sell the game for $30 on the Wii U eshop and with a development cost of $5 million it will take over 175,000 sales before the game becomes profitable. That may seem extreme, but according to Lanning the game is every bit as good as a full-blown AAA retail title:

This game will play better, look better, and you'll have more fun with for more hours of play than games you're paying $60 for. That's a promise. And I can say that with absolute confidence. If this had a publisher, the price would be higher and they'd be calling in triple A.

Lanning also stated that New 'n' Tasty must sell at least 250,000 units to be able to fund their next game project which happens to be a remake of ~Abe's Exoddus~. And if that sells 500,000 units Lanning plans on releasing an all-new game in the Oddworld series titled ~The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot~ which isn't in development yet because the team doesn't have enough money to feel comfortable putting money and resources into the game until they have a bigger budget:

I don't think it's anything less than a $5 million title. So to Kickstart it I think would be a little deceptive and a risk. But if we sell half a million copies [of New 'n' Tasty], that's not going to be a problem.

If I'm doing a new Oddworld game, I'm not going to do it for $2 million. I might do it for five or six. People keep asking me, 'Why don't you Kickstart Oddworld? You could get at least $1 or $2 million.' And I'm like 'What would I do with a couple million on Kickstarter? On a new Oddworld title?' Not much. I could redo Exoddus for a couple million. I could do that. But a new title, which means new characters doing new things and controls that are great - that's where the real time and expenses come from.

If you already have the game and you're just doing a conversion, it's easier. From scratch, I don't think we could do an Oddworld title for a couple million dollars.

If the game sells anywhere near as well as Oddworld Stranger's Wrath HD did on the XBOX then reaching their goal shouldn't be too difficult, however it should be mentioned that ~Stranger's Wrath HD~ was much cheaper than $30 so that could affect sales for the game.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath HD is also slated to be released on the Wii U eshop at some point so we'll be sure to keep you informed about any news regarding that title as well! Are you okay with the $30 price point for this title? Let us know in our comments!

Oddworld New 'n' Tasty To Cost About $30 On The Wii U eshop In North America! 19654

Oddworld New 'n' Tasty To Cost About $30 On The Wii U eshop In North America! 87457210

Oddworld New 'n' Tasty To Cost About $30 On The Wii U eshop In North America! Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

ShanaNoShakugan
Game look odd Razz will come to Japan?
Staroceancrazy
$30 might be too expensive for the game to sell enough copies to earn a profit. Neutral
RoboYoshi
This game is gonna be awesome! Very Happy
NINTENBRO
Staroceancrazy wrote:$30 might be too expensive for the game to sell enough copies to earn a profit. Neutral

Exactly what I was thinking.
Clαππαd
If the game is as good as mr. Lanning says then $30 seems like a reasonable price for the game. Smile
Kung-fu Pikachu
$30? How much Yen is that?
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)