Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)Today at 2:56 pmTheGingerDoctorWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amTheGingerDoctorNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amTheGingerDoctor
Gamergy
Gamergy
Fan service at its finest

A look at DLC: Mewtwo (Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS) - Page 1 Mewtwo_back_in_ssb4_by_elemental_aura-d6bkrrw

DISCLAIMER: I have not played Melee for a while, nor do I have it at the moment, so I may make mistakes relating Smash Bros. Wii U Mewtwo and Melee Mewtwo. Please Understand.

People who have registered both Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U before the end of March (should) have received their free codes to download Mewtwo by now, but for the ones who are waiting for it to be able to purchase, how does Mewtwo play?

First thing that immediately came to mind after playing as Mewtwo for a few matches was that Mewtwo’s inclusion is clearly fan service for the people who loved him in Melee, because his move set is almost exactly the same as in Melee. The special moves are entirely the same, and every other move is the exact same as well, with the exception of slightly different animations and the fact that teleport has Mewtwo slide a bit after reappearing.

A look at DLC: Mewtwo (Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS) - Page 1 Super-smash-bros-4-mewtwo-release-date-dlc

“Ok, but what if I’ve never played Melee?” Well, he’s similar to Lucario but with a few different moves. His down special is not a counter but a disable, which stuns your enemy from close range. The problem I always had with disable was you have to be very close to get it to work, and the enemy has to be facing you. I find disable fairly useless. Mewtwo’s forward special is like disable; it puts an enemy in a spin, giving you a chance to pull off a smash attack. It’s great for combos but unfortunately it’s short-ranged as well, but at least they don’t have to be facing you. The worst part about these two short-ranged moves is if you miss you’re left wide open, so use them carefully.

Mewtwo’s standard special is basically Lucario’s, an orb you can charge and fire at your opponents from a distance. His up special is somewhat like Zelda’s, you warp from one place to another, and you can choose which direction you go with the control stick, but be quick because the move is way quicker than Zelda’s. However you can’t actually damage anyone with Mewtwo’s up special.

What are the differences? I personally feel that Mewtwo is more powerful in Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U than in Melee, but only slightly. Maybe that’s because of the difference in speed and physics, but I still feel he was made slightly stronger.

A look at DLC: Mewtwo (Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS) - Page 1 Mewtwo_ssb4_mock_up_by_kirbysmith-d75otdh

There’s not too much else to say about Mewtwo, but if you played as him in Melee and liked him, get this DLC the moment you can.

Price: $3.99 for 3DS or Wii U version, $4.99 for both (or free if you registered both versions before April 2015)

Recommended if: You liked Mewtwo in Melee, want a new character to play as, or want to see what the hype is about him

Not recommended if: You don’t care at all for Mewtwo or are tight on eShop funds
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

bro2dragons
I agree with @Gamergy that the pricing, especially on Mewtwo is exceedingly fair. The Mii costumes should be lower in price, but if you play a lot of Mii fighters, they might be worthwhile. Coupling the new male cat costume with the existing lion hat gave me a Mufasa Mii I like to use against my friends. No one wants to be the guy who killed Mufasa.

But Mewtwo should be downloaded by everyone still playing this game. Not only does he expand the replayability by giving you new high scores and trophies to chase in all the single player modes, but he's an extremely versatile and interesting character to use and instantly became my number one fighter. (To my shame) I put hours a day into this game and Mewtwo's unique options have gone a long way toward spicing up a typical play session. Disable is all about timing, but it's extraordinarily satisfying to nail a charging opponent with it right as they close in for the kill, only to allow you a nice long wind-up smash to punish. Confusion is a little less useful up close as a lot of fighters can very easily recover from it, but it does help to get particularly aggressive foes off your back. I have always struggled with a particular friend's Little Mac and the way he like to dash in for quick kills from across the stage. He mixes up his approaches, but any time he comes running in, confusion stops him in his tracks and gives me a chance to keep the match on my terms. More importantly, however, is that confusion also acts as a reflector which can keep Duck Hunt and Samus at bay, as well as those Fox players who think reflecting your fully-charged projectile once means another KO in their corner. Mewtwo's standard A chain is also great for stopping advancing enemies, acting like a shield in crowds and is an easy way to build a quick 15%. And his throws rival or exceed the likes of Ness, giving Mewtwo an even greater advantage of characters with limited recovery. A back throw at 50% or higher is near certain death for a Ganondorf or Donkey Kong. Mewtwo has a few borrowed elements (Lucario's aura sphere, Palutena's teleport and neutral A chain), but the sum of his parts is a character completely different from anything else on the roster.

10/10 must-buy.
TheGingerDoctor
April 30th 2015, 3:38 pmTheGingerDoctor
@Gamergy @bro2dragons Well said, dudes. A look at DLC: Mewtwo (Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS) - Page 1 631737971
Clαππαd
I would have preferred Nintendo to have made the dlc into affordable packs like they did for Mario Kart 8.
Super Smash Bros. dlc seems a little expensive for what you're getting.
bro2dragons
I agree it would be a good idea for them to put more reasonably priced packs together as more DLC becomes available. The current price for a character, though, I think is ultimately fair. The amount of work it takes to introduce new characters to a fighting game is enormous and requires months of rebalancing the whole roster to make the new one naturally fit. It hits consumers pretty hard, yeah, but the money has to come from somewhere.

Ultimately, though, I think it all comes down to how much you play the game. If you power one Smash once a month, it's probably not worth it. If you're like me, however, and put about 10 hours a week into the game, you are getting a pretty great value.
TheGingerDoctor
May 21st 2015, 4:38 pmTheGingerDoctor
I might be getting Mewtwo next week! I'm looking forward to playing as him! Happy
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)