Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)Yesterday at 2:56 pmTheGingerDoctorWhat Have You Been Playing Lately?April 24th 2024, 3:11 amTheGingerDoctorNews: Surprise! An Indie World Direct Has Been Announced For Tomorrow April 17th!April 21st 2024, 5:26 pmKokorOtakuHow I’m feeling right now…April 14th 2024, 12:34 amKeAfan7“Doctor wot…?” (The Doctor Who Discussion Thread)April 7th 2024, 3:56 amTheGingerDoctor
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
A Step Towards The Digital Age!

Most Nintendo Games Will Be Released Digitally! WiiUfront

Update: This has been clarified that Nintendo will be offer full games at retail as well as a downloadable version.

"The majority of Nintendo-published Nintendo 3DS games will have the same dual-distribution strategy. Likewise, the majority of Nintendo-published Wii U games will be available both as packaged products and as digital downloads starting on launch day."

The games that aren't available physically are probably WiiUware (or whatever they'll be called).

Original article:
Nintendo has already stated their interest in selling digital retail games, which will begin with New Super Mario Bros. 2. Nintendo recently stated to Joystiq that the majority of its titles will be available only as shop downloads and download tickets from retailers.

Sadly this means that people who don't have a WiiU compatable router or internet provider will likely miss out on the Triple A first party games.
There is also a rumor that the WiiU Shop will be called eshop.

What are our readers thoughts about this digital only future?

Last edited by gamerace on April 30th 2012, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)

Most Nintendo Games Will Be Released Digitally! 19654

Most Nintendo Games Will Be Released Digitally! 87457210

Most Nintendo Games Will Be Released Digitally! Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

DigiDestined
April 29th 2012, 1:12 pmDigiDestined
I really don't like having to have some super high speed internet connection if I want to play retail games plus I like actually owning most of my media Sad
NINTENBRO
April 29th 2012, 1:57 pmNINTENBRO
Ha! I thought Nintendo stated they were going to try and get their internet services right this time around. Well, that's the worst idea I've ever heard. First of all, I know most people aren't going to fork over even more money every month to their internet provider just so their connection speed is fast enough. My connection speed is just fast enough to download content from the WiiShop, and access Nintendo's WiFi connection for games that are online multiplayer enabled. Second of all, it's not like Nintendo's entire customer base even has an internet connection. Third of all, there's a percentage of their customer base that does have an internet connection but refuses to download digital content. I've downloaded WiiWare and VC games, but that was mostly because either that content isn't available in a physical form or is difficult to acquire in a physical form. Nintendo really needs to stop and think, before they dig an even deeper hole for their internet services to be buried in. Digital content can be more convenient, accessible and affordable, but it can also easily become a mistake without resolution. If we are forced to download all retail titles, we won't have the option or the ability to trade-in or sell games that we find are no longer or were never enjoyable. This decision would also force not some but all of Nintendo's customers to purchase a hefty external hard-drive. In the long run, this will most likely cost the majority of their customers a lot more money and aggravation than just purchasing nothing but physical software. Please listen to me Nintendo, when I say this is definitely not the road you desire to go down.

Last edited by WiiAboutU on April 29th 2012, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NINTENBRO
April 29th 2012, 2:51 pmNINTENBRO
Hey Brian, maybe this should also be a Staff Viewpoint article. If you do decide to produce one, could you please just transfer my post into that thread for me. Ha! It'll give you a chance to utilize your new PC. Razz
Ms_Kinomoto
April 29th 2012, 3:27 pmMs_Kinomoto
Um....I dunno but won't this make people that are poor unable to play games? I have friends that only buy games with trade in money and do not have internet cuz they cannot afford it so they won't be able to play if this happens Crying or Very sad
Paragoomba
April 29th 2012, 3:47 pmParagoomba
I think this idea flat out sucks. Considering Nintendo's stance against lowering the price of games or having sales on their online services expect to pay MSRP price for every game you ever buy for the WiiU. Twisted Evil
KingreX32
April 29th 2012, 3:55 pmKingreX32
Um guys can we not Lose our minds just yet. I was actually thinking of posting his articles here myself but Rukiafan beat me to it.

Yes Nintendo is going to be releasing Digital games, Aong side the retail releases. They are still gonna be releasing physical copies, but they are just adding an extra option for obtaining games.

Paragoomba
April 29th 2012, 4:00 pmParagoomba
I guess Brian is still learning about the necessity of apps on an android pc.......he still can't add pics apparently. Neutral
KingreX32
April 29th 2012, 4:14 pmKingreX32
WiiAboutU wrote:Hey Brian, maybe this should also be a Staff Viewpoint article. If you do decide to produce one, could you please just transfer my post into that thread for me. Ha! It'll give you a chance to utilize your new PC. Razz

Agreed. But We would have to get the full informatio first.
PrinnyDood
April 29th 2012, 5:38 pmPrinnyDood
I hope this isn't true because Nintendo hasn't proved themselves as competant digital goods retailers. No sales, no price drops, no data transfers for those who had a Wii that couldn't be repaired.
ARF_Paula
April 29th 2012, 6:07 pmARF_Paula
If this is true Nintendo can kiss my money goodbye and if Microsoft and Sony do the same thing then I'll have to turn to pc gaming Evil or Very Mad
KeAfan7
@KinreX32 http://www.Nintendolife.com has an article about this and their article leads one to believe that Nintendo may very well have changed their minds about selling both physical and digital copies, which is a shame if it's true. Also there might be a positive push towards a resolution as a "little birdy" told me that Nintendo is considereing building a digital trade area in the 3DS and Wii U eshops, but that's all the information I have heard about. Wink
NINTENBRO
April 29th 2012, 8:08 pmNINTENBRO
Brian wrote: Nintendo is considereing building a digital trade area in the 3DS and Wii U eshops
Hmmm... I'm really wondering how that would function. scratch
KingreX32
April 29th 2012, 8:10 pmKingreX32
you cant read just "one" article and draw all your facts from one thing. You need to put it all into perspective and read from multiple sources.
KeAfan7
There are other websites that have posted the same thing, but I brought up Nintendolife because they are a very credible website, besides I found the info buzzing around at twitter from various game developers and publishers. Wink

I'll admit that I was influenced by Nintendolife's article. Embarassed
Amufungal
April 29th 2012, 9:49 pmAmufungal
Lol it's a condensed version of Nintendolifes article with a dash of GoNintendo and Cubed's articles with a lot of editing and condensing Smile
Of course knowing him he probably wrote the stuff on a notebook and edited it through pen and paper and then posted the finished work am I right Brian? Smile
Marioman18
April 30th 2012, 12:56 amMarioman18
You know the owner of WiiWareWave in real life? Surprised
Cloud_Strife
April 30th 2012, 1:17 amCloud_Strife
Please try to stay on topic. Thank you.
gamerace
Actually the Jotstiq article quotes Nintendo as follows: "The majority of Nintendo-published Nintendo 3DS games will have the same dual-distribution strategy. Likewise, the majority of Nintendo-published Wii U games will be available both as packaged products and as digital downloads starting on launch day."

There is no mention that Nintendo is ceasing to produce packaged product. In fact this explicitly states the opposite. This is in line with what Sony has already been doing with downloadable full games.

It actually makes more sense with Nintendo games because half if not more of Nintendo titles are less than a GB in size, compared to 4+GB for Sony titles.

Joystiq further mentions that you can buy what amounts to a game specific 'points card' for digital download. Presumably mainly for gift-giving.

The games that aren't available physically are probably Wiiware or eshop (except every title will now be on eshop) titles for WiiU or 3DS. Which is normal.
KingreX32
April 30th 2012, 11:12 amKingreX32
^
this is also what i heard
KeAfan7
Alright it appears that the articles have been edited now, so this was probably a huge misunderstanding so I'll leave the editing of this article to our first news editor gamerace, as he deserves to be able to show what he's capable of. Wink

KingreX32
April 30th 2012, 1:45 pmKingreX32
Yes Ive wanted to see him in action
gamerace
Actually I've edited a few already but hopefully you haven't noticed. I've tried to keep the authors 'voice' intact while correcting grammar/spelling errors and other minor changes.
KingreX32
April 30th 2012, 2:00 pmKingreX32
Really? Were any mine?
Krazyredd
April 30th 2012, 2:06 pmKrazyredd
I think the krazy term lost in translation would apply to this article and some of the other articles like this one out in the vast interwebs. Cool
gamerace
KingreX32 wrote:Really? Were any mine?

Yes, the Crysis 3 article. See if you can spot the changes.

I see I've gotten behind over the weekend though. Haven't been on much. Will try to get to the newest articles tomorrow.
Staroceancrazy
April 30th 2012, 7:15 pmStaroceancrazy
It's sad that we're most likely entering the final generation of physical form media and the ability to always have your game even if the game developer bites the dust Sad
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)