Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Gamergy
Gamergy
Writers BreRoxAwesomeSox and Gamergy got an interview with Kenny James, the voice actor of Bowser, at Indy PopCon. You can see the video here and the transcripts below it

Bre: “Chris and Bre here with WiiWareWave, and we’re here with Kenny James, the voice of Bowser. Thank you for being with us.”

Bre: “What’s your favorite thing about being a voice actor?”

Kenny James: “Getting to play. Charles [Martinet] and I agree on this all the time. It’s like you get to go in somebody’s sandbox and just goof off. You just get to play around, it’s fun”

Bre: “How did you become a voice actor?”

James: “I decided I wanted to do it, and so I created a website back in about 2001 when the internet was still pretty new. I built a little website using HTML and I got a demo made. It got to the right people by accident, it was the right place and the right time. Next thing I know I’m Bowser for 14 years.”

Bre: “What’s your favorite character you voice?”

James: “Bowser, cause that’s the only one I really make any money off of, and not a lot. Trust me. I’ve done some other little things. I did a character that told bible stories at this megachurch in North Carolina. I can’t remember when the church is called, but I was a little green dragon that told bible stories laughs

Chris: “So you’re always playing a green dragon?”
James: “Yeah it seems that way laughs there always seems to be a theme here. Only bowser was [a deep voice] and the green dragon was a [high pitched voice]”

Bre: “What’s something that you feel like every voice actor must constantly be doing”

James: “I drink [water]. I’m the worst enemy of my own voice. One of the things I actually do is if I’m going to be recording something I start hydrating the day before. If I’m in a show like a musical where I’m singing. I will hydrate until I can’t stand it anymore.”

Chris: “How many bottles of water do you think you drink on a full take?”

James: “A 2-hour session I’ll drink at least 6 20-oz bottles of water. You get to where you don’t even think about it anymore. You get to the point where you think “If I drink any more water I’m gonna die”

Chris: “Does your boss get mad if you take breaks all the time?”

James: “No, they’ll offer me breaks and I’ll go ‘nope!’ they’ll say ‘do you want to rest for a bit?’ and I’m like ‘nope nope nope lets go, lets finish it up’"

Bre: “We have is a really fun [question], what’s your favorite Mario Party?”

James: “I don’t know, I like all of them. I know it’s a cheesy answer but I like everything I’ve been put on, because it’s super jazzy. The first time I heard my voice on the game I wasn’t that happy with it was Super Mario Strikers. You know Bowser drops in, I didn’t find out until later that I was the robot team too.  When [Super Mario] Galaxy came around, I was like, “oh listen to me! Ever since then I’ve been “oh it’s me, it’s me!”

Bre: laughs

James: "I have no real favorite, Meowser was in [Super Mario] 3D World, and because inventing the sound on the spot I was really happy with it."

Chris: "If you have kids, do you play the games you voiced in?"

James: “My son has played some, he’s 24 now but he’s played [some of] the games. He probably doesn’t now he’s more of a Fortnite guy. He’s a beast [at it]”

Chris: “Last one, who do you think in a fight? Waluigi, Wario, Mario, or Bowser?”

James: “Depends on who’s playing laughs

Chris: “Free-for-all, the characters are like the canon ones”

James: “I’m just gonna have to go with Bowser”

Chris: “That’s fine, I’d have to agree. Bowser in Galaxy [was strong] I don’t know how Mario won that one”

James: Laughs “I know, then Bowser was so sad at the end of that."

We even got to talk more with Kenny James after the interview, and he was a very cool guy. Definitely visit him if he comes to a local convention!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

RyanNerdyGamer
July 6th 2019, 4:13 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Whoa, you guys got to interview the voice of BOWSER?! That's freaking amazing! Shocked
KeAfan7
Awesome interview guys! You were Super! victory
TechnicalIssues8
July 7th 2019, 3:57 pmTechnicalIssues8
That was a great interview. All I have to say is awesome!
Krazyredd
Krazy good interview!
unrealgamergirl
July 10th 2019, 10:08 pmunrealgamergirl
@GeekyGamerZack He was so awesome, we got an autograph too! He is so funny and sweet!

@TowaFan7 thank you!

@KrazyRedd Thank you we had a good time doing this! Smile
Tsubasa
@unrealgamergirl @Gamergy Awesome interview with Bowser, Mario and Peach! Smile
catfood
Excellent interview! Great job you two!
Zatchbell
Amazing interview. Kenny James is literally Bowser to me. Very Happy
RyanNerdyGamer
July 15th 2019, 7:12 amRyanNerdyGamer
@Zatchbell I feel the same way about Doug. Razz
KeAfan7
I worry about Doug sometimes. Like will some crazed fan throw a turtle at his face?! Razz
RyanNerdyGamer
July 16th 2019, 1:30 amRyanNerdyGamer
@Towafan7 Hey, I'm more worried about someone throwing a Wii Balance Board at Reggie! lol!
Navi
Great interview! These are the kinds of articles you guys need to focus on. Interview: with the voice of Bowser, Kenny James 631737971
Neptune
September 16th 2019, 3:58 pmNeptune
Nice interview @Gamergy @unrealgamergirl!
Kain
Nice interview.
RyanNerdyGamer
September 30th 2019, 2:34 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Okay, I've DEFINITELY only just woken up, as I misread the title on the hub page as "Interview with the Face of Boe" and had to do a double-take.

Either that or I've been watching too much Doctor Who lately. Or perhaps a little of both.
LizofDoom
September 30th 2019, 8:05 pmLizofDoom
Good interview @Gamergy!
Otaku
Awesome interview, Bowser approves Very Happy
Nell TU
Amazing interview @Gamergy!
Gold_Miner
November 9th 2019, 10:14 pmGold_Miner
@Gamergy You are so lucky to have had the chance to meet Kenny James! I'm extremely jealous! Surprised
Sakura chan
November 10th 2019, 12:52 pmSakura chan
Nice interview! Smile
Chickgoboom
November 10th 2019, 2:36 pmChickgoboom
OMG you got to interview Bowser! Shocked
Kangaroozoo
November 10th 2019, 6:08 pmKangaroozoo
Kenny James seems like a swell bloke! :afro:
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments