Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monstrous Fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) Ys-ix-12

Developed by Nihon Falcom Games and published by NIS America, YS IX: Monstrum Nox is the ninth main installment in the long-running YS series, ten if you count Ys Origins, but is this darker brother of the series worth a purchase? We think so and here's why:

JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) Ys-ix-11

The game has all the typical action-rpg goodness you've come to expect from the series with fast-paced battles, interesting and unique bosses, and a diverse cast of likeable characters. The formula is mostly intact including the raid battles from Ys VIII, but the puzzle-solving has been watered down quite a bit which isn't a good thing, but doesn't hurt the game that much either, much to our surprise. The story is incredibly dark this time around so expect some really sad moments during the game's 8 lengthy chapters!

The game is also a fair bit shorter than its predecessor clocking in at around 30 hours in length if you know what you're doing. The controls are quite responsive and easy to learn which is always a good thing, and the difficulty is fairly challenging even on the normal setting.

JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) Ys-ix-10

The audiovisual-presentation in YS IX is quite good with lush open-world regions, and fantastic special effects and character designs. The only downside visually is that the game doesn't quite look as impressive as its predecessor, YS VIII, but overall it's a really nice looking game. On the audio side of things, the voice acting is superb and the soundtrack is as good as you'd expect from a Nihon Falcom game, which is nothing short of perfection!

JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) Ys-ix-13

Bottom-Line: With a dark and amazing story, excellent gameplay, solid controls and a top-notch audiovisual-presentation, YS IX: Monstrum Nox is a nearly flawless action-rpg that is an absolute blast to play and as such we give the game a perfect level of recommendation!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Score: ★★★★★★★★★★ 10/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#Review #YS #NihonFalcom #NISAmerica #PS4 #Retail #PSN #Switch #eShop #ActionRPG #JRPG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amufungal, ShounenMania, Staroceancrazy, DigiDestined, Otaku, Ganondorfthewicked, RyanNerdyGamer and like this post

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
March 21st 2021, 10:47 pmKeAfan7
Our review is now live! Enjoy! Wink

Amufungal, Staroceancrazy, DigiDestined, Ganondorfthewicked, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki, Mouser and like this post

Kain
March 21st 2021, 10:48 pmKain
Great review @Towafan7!

KeAfan7, Amufungal, Staroceancrazy, DigiDestined, Ganondorfthewicked, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki and like this post

Aqua Cherry Blossom
March 21st 2021, 10:50 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review lol. Smug

KeAfan7, Amufungal, Staroceancrazy, DigiDestined, Ganondorfthewicked, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki and like this post

Tsubasa
March 21st 2021, 10:54 pmTsubasa
Awesome review! Very Happy

DigiDestined
March 23rd 2021, 12:17 pmDigiDestined
Nice review. =)

KeAfan7, Amufungal, Staroceancrazy, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki, Mouser, ShanaNoShakugan and like this post

Rena Ryuugu Fanboy
March 23rd 2021, 12:21 pmRena Ryuugu Fanboy
Great review!

KeAfan7, Amufungal, Staroceancrazy, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki, Mouser, ShanaNoShakugan and RWBY_Red like this post

RyanNerdyGamer
March 23rd 2021, 5:45 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Steve: "So which action RPG do you think I should play?"

Yana: "Ys!"

Steve: "Uh... I was thinking Fable... maybe Skyri-"

Yana: "No, Ys!"

Steve: "Okay, so I should play Skyrim, then?"

Yana: "No!"

Steve: "Oh... Fable it is, then!"

Yana: "Ys!"

Steve: "Aight, I'm gonna load it onto my Xbone right now. Thanks for the advice!"

Yana: "But-"

*DOOR CLOSES*

Yana: "WHY does he never listen to my recommendations? *SIGH*... this is the VVVVVV incident all over again..."

KeAfan7, Amufungal, Staroceancrazy, Ganondorfthewicked, XenobladeYuki, Mouser, ShanaNoShakugan and like this post

Staroceancrazy
April 4th 2021, 3:43 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review Exclamation

KeAfan7, Amufungal, Ganondorfthewicked, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki, Mouser, ShanaNoShakugan and like this post

Mouser
April 4th 2021, 3:45 pmMouser
Great review!

KeAfan7, Amufungal, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki, ShanaNoShakugan, Tsubasa and RWBY_Red like this post

Tsubasa
April 4th 2021, 5:36 pmTsubasa
@TenthSeedZed32 Haha I lost my OJ out my nose. Laughing

KeAfan7, Amufungal, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki, ShanaNoShakugan and RWBY_Red like this post

ShanaNoShakugan
April 4th 2021, 5:37 pmShanaNoShakugan
Such nice review. Smile

KeAfan7, Amufungal, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki and RWBY_Red like this post

Amufungal
April 5th 2021, 12:46 amAmufungal
Beautiful review Rukia!

JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) 200.gif?cid=c38ef77eriw0l3pcxhx4bcuv702olhnw24trqgbkc3pius82&rid=200

KeAfan7, Ganondorfthewicked, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki, Inoue79, ToughGamer and RWBY_Red like this post

Inoue79
April 9th 2021, 12:45 pmInoue79
Amazing review! I like the gameplay and story, but the open world and vibrant colors in Ys VIII were much more appealing imo. 🐳

KeAfan7, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki, ToughGamer and RWBY_Red like this post

ToughGamer
April 9th 2021, 2:05 pmToughGamer
Good review.

KeAfan7, RyanNerdyGamer, XenobladeYuki and RWBY_Red like this post

Ganondorfthewicked
April 24th 2021, 7:34 pmGanondorfthewicked
Amazing review as always. My hat's off to you!

JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) 200.gif?cid=c38ef77efk80xvs2bnpofov5h9uf3sgplpzov2dz887eof5m&rid=200

Talesfanatic
May 3rd 2021, 1:19 pmTalesfanatic
Excellent review! 😁

RWBY_Red
May 9th 2021, 11:13 pmRWBY_Red
Good review.

KeAfan7 and XenobladeYuki like this post

ShounenMania
May 13th 2021, 12:35 amShounenMania
Great review dude! JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) 631737971

KeAfan7 and XenobladeYuki like this post

XenobladeYuki
July 12th 2021, 6:25 pmXenobladeYuki
Your reviews have really evolved since you began, though I guess they've been this good for years now, but I remember back when I joined and your reviews were pretty basic.

JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) 200.gif?cid=c38ef77exxmanv8ne5gfnptgulnz231bgua97z3b6sqe38xt&rid=200

KeAfan7 and Elza like this post

KokorOtaku
July 13th 2021, 4:01 pmKokorOtaku
Wow I really should get this for Switch at some point, but I think I’ll get it on sale and when I play more of VIII.

KeAfan7
July 13th 2021, 8:01 pmKeAfan7
@KokorOtaku Longtime-no-see dude! Thanks for the comment! It's just a shame that both Kushina and GamerZack are no longer active members of the community. I'm really glad that one member of our Dynamic Trio has returned! king

Elza likes this post

KokorOtaku
July 13th 2021, 10:04 pmKokorOtaku
Yeah I read about Zack leaving, sorry I’m not on much I’ll try to pop in every now and then but I’m just going through a lot and trying to get things together

KeAfan7
July 13th 2021, 10:17 pmKeAfan7
No worries, I hope things get better for you dude. JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) 631737971

KokorOtaku likes this post

Elza
This game is fantastic and so is this review!

JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) 200.gif?cid=c38ef77ez8vh82l0jrfx8yu8groni8f99ld93an8xlv1r7n3&rid=200
Otaku
August 4th 2021, 9:00 pmOtaku
I am a huge fan of Ys and while your review is great, this is one of my least favorite games in this series. Don't get me wrong it is still a very good game despite its faults. JRPG - Review: YS IX - Monstrum Nox (PS4 Retail) 631737971
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)