Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Journey That Any Archeologist Would Absolutely Love!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) Waterm28

Developed by Nigoro Games and published by NIS America, La-Mulana is a remake of a 2005 freeware pc title with vastly improved graphics and music and is an enhanced port of the WiiWare and Vita versions of the game. The WiiWare version of the game saw many delays and the previous publisher even cancelled the North American and European releases, luckily EnjoyUp games picked up the game and it was finally released in North America and Europe in 2012. Is this game worth checking out? Continue reading our review to find out!

Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) Waterm29

Story and Gameplay

The story in La-Mulana is fairly important despite how it feels, the story and events often uncover clues to difficult puzzles so the difficulty of the game can vary depending on how well you pay attention to what's going on around you. The game is a platformer that feels a lot like an Indiana Jones meets Metroid style of game with tricky puzzles, platforming, and treasure hunting this game will never leave you bored!

The bosses in the game can be nightmarishly difficult or very easy depending on your weapon choices so be sure to not use up all of a particular sub weapon before fighting the boss of a temple.

A word to the wise collect the item near the start of the game because without it you may need to backtrack or worse yet could end up stuck in a pit or other trap with no way out forcing you to reset the game!

Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) Waterm30

Also avoid a particular item in The Temple of The Giants that will literally tell you not to open it and if you don't heed this warning the game will unleash Anubus like reapers everywhere that are virtually immortal and can one-hit K-O you regardless of how much health you possess and it will remain like this for the rest of the game making it nigh impossible for all, but the most skilled players to beat. We left this out in our previous reviews of La-Mulana, but we thought to ourselves, who doesn't like a free tip?

A unique feature in La-Mulana is the .EXE system that grants you power-ups from .EXE files that can be found, but your cpu memory is limited so don't expect to use every good .EXE file you find at the same time.

The game is very long and can easily take more than 40 hours to beat, but can take over 80 hours for completionists to collect every item and fully explore every area in the game which is absolutely incredible!

Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) Waterm31

Graphics and Music

The graphics in the Nintendo Switch port have been slightly improved over the WiiWare and Vita versions of the game as the details are breath-taking as every single area looks not only beautiful, but also completely unique with so many background objects and enemy designs you'll wonder how Nigoro put so much detail into a retro-styled MetroidVania!

The soundtrack is quite possibly the most impressive feature of La-Mulana as there are easily 50+ music tracks in the game and every one of them sounds like something straight from a PS1 platformer! How Nigoro managed this we'll never know, but you won't hear a better sounding CD quality 8-bit soundtrack very often on the eShop!

Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) Waterm32

The Switch Difference: The Switch version comes with the usual handheld mode upgrade which is done really well with little to no difference in frame-rate or visual quality. There is a negative and that is the Joycons' abysmal d-pad which is extremely cumbersome in this game. If you play on Switch either the handheld exclusive Switch Lite or Switch Pro Controller is recommended.

Bottom Line

With fun, yet challenging gameplay and unrivaled retro graphics and soundtrack, La-Mulana is as fun as ever and with the added features as well as a boss rush and time trials mode as well as great arcade borders to replace the black bars on your screen, and the handheld mode on Switch is superb with little to no drops in frame-rate or graphical quality, however the Joycon d-pad will prove frustrating to those without a Switch Pro Controller or Switch Lite. The addition of being able to play on-the-go with no reduction in the quality of the gameplay is what really gives this version a leg-up over the others and as such we give La-Mulana for the Nintendo Switch a nearly perfect level of recommendation to all Switch owners who enjoy a challenging MetroidVania!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Score ★★★★★★★★★½ 9.5/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#Review #NISA #Nigoro #Switch #eShop #PS4 #PSN #Platformer #MetroidVania #Adventure #Action

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This review can also be viewed here

Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) 19654

Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) 87457210

Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!

Staroceancrazy, Megatron2000, DigiDestined, Navi, XenobladeYuki, Kain, Aqua Cherry Blossom and like this post

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
July 9th 2020, 8:04 pmKeAfan7
Our review is now live! Wink

Staroceancrazy, RyanNerdyGamer, Aqua Cherry Blossom and Inoue79 like this post

Staroceancrazy
July 10th 2020, 6:44 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review Exclamation

RyanNerdyGamer and Inoue79 like this post

RyanNerdyGamer
July 11th 2020, 2:45 amRyanNerdyGamer
@Staroceancrazy Awesome? This is the review that made the Temple Run in less than 12 parsecs! Wait... scratch

Eh, whatever. Something, something, something, Brilliant review. Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) 631737971 Wink

DigiDestined, Kain, Aqua Cherry Blossom, Kitty Cat Meow Meow, Inoue79 and ToughGamer like this post

ToughGamer
July 11th 2020, 2:04 pmToughGamer
Good review.

RyanNerdyGamer
July 11th 2020, 3:32 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Also, may I just point out the thoughtful gesture of warning players about potentially game-breaking moments in the story? Wink

It's kind actions such as these that allow me to retain a positive outlook on others, and that serve as a reminder that kindness, compassion and consideration are amongst the best qualities to show others. Now more than ever, the world needs people to be kind. You are a true credit, @Towafan7. Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) 631737971

In fact, the entire userbase as a whole is a true credit. After more than 32 years of my being a societal outcast and involuntary loner (in an ebb n' flow kind of way, in that sometimes other people tolerate me, but not enough to include me in any social group), it's nice to know of communities like WiiWareWave, who welcome anyone and everyone, no matter their social status, background, beliefs, ideals, gender, etc. Happy

Now more than ever, inclusion matters, and though I have yet to meet any of you in-person (aside from those whom I personally invited), you have all accepted me without question of who (or what) I am "irl". Smile

It is an honour and a privilege to be a 'Waver, and I wholeheartedly thank each and every one of you for accepting me. Not for who I am, not for what I may be - or neverwere - but simply for accepting me... excuse me, I have some antibody-infused plasma welling in my tear ducts... *sniff* Sad

DigiDestined, Kain, catfood, Aqua Cherry Blossom, Kitty Cat Meow Meow and Inoue79 like this post

RWBY_Red
July 13th 2020, 10:54 amRWBY_Red
Good review!

XenobladeYuki
July 13th 2020, 11:13 amXenobladeYuki
Great review!

KeAfan7
July 14th 2020, 11:01 amKeAfan7
Thanks for the feedback! Wink

Kitty Cat Meow Meow
July 14th 2020, 2:08 pmKitty Cat Meow Meow
La-Mulana is one of the best indie metroidvanias out there therefore I agree 100% with your review @Towafan7!

DigiDestined, RyanNerdyGamer, Kain, catfood, Aqua Cherry Blossom and Inoue79 like this post

RyanNerdyGamer
July 14th 2020, 3:26 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Memorable Archaeologists of Legend
▪Daniel Jackson
▪River Song
▪Hershel Layton
▪Kendra Saunders
▪Carter Hall
▪Indiana Jones
▪Laura Croft*
▪Nathan Whatsisface**
▪The players on that one Mario Party 2 board
▪Every single Ruin Maniac in the Pokémon series
And introducing...
▪Lemeza and Lumisa Kosugi

*CONTEXT: I once did a general knowledge quiz, and the only question I remember from it was, "Who is the main character of the game Tomb Raider?", the answer of course being Lara Croft. When reading back the answers, the emcee mispronounced her name as "Laura Croft". Needless to say, my vocal correction got more than a few chuckles, which was a little embarrassing in hindsight... Embarassed

**Before you point it out, yes, I know it's "Drake". Wink

DigiDestined, Kain, catfood, Aqua Cherry Blossom and Inoue79 like this post

catfood
July 18th 2020, 9:38 amcatfood
Good review!

RyanNerdyGamer
July 18th 2020, 2:02 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Oh! I just got the pun in Ruin Maniac Dustin's name! Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire first released when I was still in high school, over a decade-and-a-half ago... talk about comically punderwhelming timing and thematically iron-ic humour-iliation. Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) 1625187496Razz

DigiDestined, Kain, Aqua Cherry Blossom and Inoue79 like this post

DigiDestined
August 18th 2020, 11:14 amDigiDestined
Nice review as always @Towafan7. =)

Kain
August 19th 2020, 11:43 amKain
I do love me some spelunky metroidvanias. Laughing

RyanNerdyGamer
August 19th 2020, 3:28 pmRyanNerdyGamer
@Kain Ah...! Wink lol!

Inoue79 likes this post

Last edited by GeekyGamerJack on August 19th 2020, 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megatron2000
August 19th 2020, 7:13 pmMegatron2000
@Towafan7 Great review! Megatron approves Megatron Happy

Inoue79
August 23rd 2020, 7:35 pmInoue79
Great review!

RyanNerdyGamer likes this post

Aqua Cherry Blossom
September 16th 2020, 3:51 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review lol. Smug

RyanNerdyGamer likes this post

Navi
September 25th 2020, 1:49 pmNavi
Wonderful review! Kupo!
KeAfan7
January 3rd 2023, 6:21 pmKeAfan7
@SunDownSamurai You have been summoned! Metroidvania - Review: La-Mulana (Switch eShop) 631737971

SunDownSamurai likes this post

SunDownSamurai
January 3rd 2023, 8:58 pmSunDownSamurai
Great review, @KeAfan7!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)