Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Decent Mechanics Make A Glacier-Solid Game!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ExeCreate - Review: Alvastia Chronicles (PS4 PSN) H2x1_n10

Developed by Exe-Create and published by KEMCO, Alvastia Chronicles is a decent attempt at recreating the greatness of the 16-bit era, however it falls short in many ways, but regardless is still a solid JRPG! Keep reading our review to learn more!

ExeCreate - Review: Alvastia Chronicles (PS4 PSN) Alvast10

The story of Alvastia Chronicles is pretty straightforward and doesn't do much that we haven't seen before, but what's there is pretty good stuff. The gameplay on the other-hand is pretty unique. It's basically The Last Remnant in 16-bit form in the way it utilizes squads of characters who fight together as one with a united HP pool and multiple attacks, which is quite enjoyable, but the mechanics are definitely watered down so don't expect complex unit commands and such.

The game itself is somewhat short and can be beaten in 20 hours or less if you don't focus on side-quests and collecting all units in the game. The controls are easy to learn and the game's difficulty is a tad on the easy side. Another great thing is that the Vita version of Alvastia Chronicles is PSTV compatible which we commend the developer for continuing to support the niche device that has long been discontinued.

ExeCreate - Review: Alvastia Chronicles (PS4 PSN) Alvast11

The audio-visual presentation is decidedly retro, but unlike previous 16-bit or is this 12-bit? KEMCO titles Alvastia Chronicles has a somewhat lacklustre art-style and feels off in a sense, because in some aspects it's 8-bit while in others it's 16-bit. It sort of ruins the game's nostalgia factor that KEMCO strives for. Luckily the soundtrack is much better and not only fits the game, but is quite memorable as well!

ExeCreate - Review: Alvastia Chronicles (PS4 PSN) Alvast12

Bottom-Line: With great gameplay, flawless controls, and an excellent soundtrack, Alvastia Chronicles is commendable JRPG that has potential, however a somewhat erratic visual presentation and short story hold the game back quite a bit, though the PSTV compatibility really does help if you plan on purchasing the Vita version of the game. In any case we give Alvastia Chronicles for the PS4 a solid level of recommendation!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Score: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆ 7/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#Review #ExeCreate #KEMCO #JRPG #Retro #PS4 #Vita #PSN #Switch #eShop

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ExeCreate - Review: Alvastia Chronicles (PS4 PSN) 19654

ExeCreate - Review: Alvastia Chronicles (PS4 PSN) 87457210

ExeCreate - Review: Alvastia Chronicles (PS4 PSN) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
March 5th 2019, 1:58 amKeAfan7
Our review is now live! As always be sure to leave us a comment below! Wink
RyanNerdyGamer
March 5th 2019, 3:40 pmRyanNerdyGamer
@Towafan7 You've put me to shame in terms of sheer number of published reviews. If only I still had more time to complete the games I own...

As it is, I have very little spare time for gaming these days, though I'd like to think that playing games will be a necessary part of my game design degree if I get in. Y'know, for...let's call it "research". Wink

SEMI OFF-TOPIC: I've actually been crafting my second attempt at Dawn of Neon, a JRPG that's set in the same multiverse as Crystals of Silveria. The main spells are mostly finished, with the next step being creating the playable characters. Neon can't finish his/her journey alone! ExeCreate - Review: Alvastia Chronicles (PS4 PSN) 631737971 #ShamelessSelfPlug
TechnicalIssues8
March 6th 2019, 3:11 amTechnicalIssues8
Great review! I’ve been on the fence about this game and your review helped my decision tremendously. Thanks!
Grumblevolcano
March 6th 2019, 10:56 amGrumblevolcano
Excellent review mate. @GeekyGamerZack Maybe, but your anime series is quite popular. All of my friends look forward to new episodes.
KeAfan7
March 6th 2019, 11:15 amKeAfan7
Thanks for the feedback you guys! Wink
KeAfan7
March 6th 2019, 11:19 amKeAfan7
@GeekyGamerZack Your content is incredible! That said I can't wait to read your certain series of exclusive features you'll be cooking up soon! Wink
Kain
March 6th 2019, 2:52 pmKain
Nice review @Towafan7. Smile
Talesfanatic
March 6th 2019, 3:55 pmTalesfanatic
Awesome review!
Tinglemaster
March 6th 2019, 4:36 pmTinglemaster
Great review, I'll get this on Switch!
Staroceancrazy
March 7th 2019, 2:55 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review @Towafan7 Exclamation