Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Grand Theft Odyssey!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Switch - Review: Super Mario Odyssey (Switch Retail) Large

Developed and published by Nintendo, Super Mario Odyssey is Mario's latest 3D platforming adventure and as expected we enjoyed every minute of the game, however we couldn't help, but notice that the game didn't feel as magical as previous 3D Mario titles, why is that? Keep reading our review to find out why.

There's no doubt that Nintendo pulled out all the stops with the production value of Super Mario Odyssey and it shows between the incredible storytelling, incredible audio-visual presentation, and sheer scope, however the game lost something so much more important in the process.

Super Mario Odyssey lacks the charm of previous Mario games, the level designs are lacking compared to most previous entries in the series and the game is quite honestly, ridiculously easy to the point where it felt like we were playing a game geared towards young children.

That's not all, the gameplay is sort of mission-based like Grand Theft Auto and unfortunately falls victim to the same issues that plagued the Jak & Daxter games after the initial title, The Precursor Legacy and feels like a completely different series now.

Don't get us wrong it's a solid game, but it doesn't feel like a Mario game at its core and that's a serious problem when you're talking about a series that was not only at the top of the sales charts with every release in the franchise, but arguably the most beloved series in the video game industry, it honestly makes no sense why Nintendo would choose to reinvent the series at this time.

The controls in the game are very responsive and easy to learn which is always a good thing in our opinions.

Visually Super Mario Odyssey looks absolutely spectacular and really pushes the limit of the Nintendo Switch's hardware especially in docked mode, but it still looks great in handheld mode as well!

The soundtrack is quite varied as well with some pretty amazing vocal songs, however the music in the game's many levels was somewhat lacking, which was quite disappointing, but even so it's still great to listen to.

Bottom-Line:

While the gameplay and story is solid, Super Mario Odyssey reinvented the series despite there being no need to do so and in the process has lost some of that special Nintendo magic the series has possessed for decades. While the controls and audio-visual presentation are fantastic we still give the game the lowest score of any mainstream release in the Mario series to-date. While the game is solid it was a major disappointment and as such we give Super Mario Odyssey a solid level of recommendation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Score: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆ 7/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#Review #Nintendo #SuperMarioOdyssey #Switch #Retail #3DPlatformer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Switch - Review: Super Mario Odyssey (Switch Retail) 19654

Switch - Review: Super Mario Odyssey (Switch Retail) 87457210

Switch - Review: Super Mario Odyssey (Switch Retail) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Aqua Cherry Blossom
February 19th 2018, 12:10 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
I feel the same way about the game. It was good, but oh so disappointing lol. Rolling Eyes
Nice review lol. Smile
Staroceancrazy
February 19th 2018, 12:15 pmStaroceancrazy
Super Mario Odyssey is awesome, but you're right about it feeling like a different series. Awesome review @Reanfan! Very Happy
Pennsage
February 19th 2018, 1:12 pmPennsage
Your reviews are getting better. And I'm shocked that this game isn't as great as other Mario titles.
Kain
February 19th 2018, 1:36 pmKain
Nice review @Reanfan!
KeAfan7
February 19th 2018, 1:39 pmKeAfan7
@Pennsage Thanks for your kind words! Also thanks to the rest of you awesome peeps for commenting on my review. Wink
Brian2030
February 19th 2018, 1:42 pmBrian2030
I assume its better than Mario Sunshine,
But not even close to being as good as Mario Galaxy.
Nice Review! RukiaFan
KeAfan7
February 19th 2018, 1:55 pmKeAfan7
@Brian2030 Even Sunshine was better imo. Sad
Talesfanatic
February 19th 2018, 3:03 pmTalesfanatic
@Brian2030 I agree with @Reanfan at least sunshine was enjoyably challenging while Odyssey is boring.

SunDownSamurai likes this post

ToughGamer
February 19th 2018, 3:22 pmToughGamer
Good review.
themcnoisy
February 19th 2018, 4:21 pmthemcnoisy
Odyssey is alright, that unfortunately isnt good enough for a Mario game. The level design is all over the place and the crazy amount of abilities makes the game too easy.
SonicKnuckles
February 19th 2018, 5:50 pmSonicKnuckles
@themcnoisy Mario sets the standards for software quality in the industry and with this I fear that it'll resonate with other developers and we will see an increase in shovelware and crap games from AAA developers. Sad
RWBY_Red
February 20th 2018, 2:02 amRWBY_Red
Good review Rean! I agree with @Pennsage your reviews are improving hehe. Smile
SuperVash
February 20th 2018, 6:30 pmSuperVash
Sweet review @Reanfan! Cool
Amufungal
February 21st 2018, 4:25 pmAmufungal
@Brian2030 I love Sunshine. Smile
Akatsuki
February 22nd 2018, 6:13 pmAkatsuki
@Brian2030 I thought I was the only person who found Super Mario Sunshine to be subpar.
KeAfan7
February 24th 2018, 6:15 pmKeAfan7
Thanks for the comments! You guys are awesome. Wink
RyanNerdyGamer
February 28th 2018, 2:20 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Huh...? Lowest score...?! But...but...it's my...favourite... Surprised Sad

@Reanfan Your quality of writing improves with each review you write. Keep up the good work, my friend! Happy Switch - Review: Super Mario Odyssey (Switch Retail) 631737971 victory
Ms_Kinomoto
March 23rd 2018, 9:58 pmMs_Kinomoto
Um...nice review @Reanfan. Smile
@GeekyGamerZack Um...I really love the game and it is one of my favorites, but as @themcnoisy said it has questionable level design so I see why Brian gave the game a 7. Smile
SunDownSamurai
December 13th 2022, 7:24 pmSunDownSamurai
I wished I had known that Odyssey isn't somewhat challenging like both of the Galaxy games. I just bought it at the beginning of the month from BestBuy, because they had it on sale for $39.99. I'm still going to try to play through at least once, since I already bought it. I wish more of the big name reviewers weren't so bias about some games. Not a single review I've read except for this one mentioned the low level of difficulty. I ran into the same situation with Kirby and the Forgotten Land. All of the reviews I read praised the game, and never once mentioned how unbelievably easy the game is. But I got lucky with that game and didn't buy it, because I tried the demo out beforehand. I just hope I can at least get some enjoyment from playing Odyssey.
SunDownSamurai
December 13th 2022, 7:41 pmSunDownSamurai
Staroceancrazy wrote:Super Mario Odyssey is awesome, but you're right about it feeling like a different series. Awesome review @Reanfan! Very Happy
I hope that by the end of the game I can walk away feeling the same way.

Staroceancrazy likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)