Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Jnes5
Jnes5
Follow Klonoa and Hewpoe on an adventure to stop Ghadius from turning Phantomile, the land of the dreams, into a world of nightmares !

Story
The story is very traditionally great, it starts out very charming and interesting just like in any good adventure game, but then later on it gets a little darker for a type of game like this, and not to mention that the ending is kind of sad too.

Gameplay
Klonoa plays just like a 2D platformer, the controls are very different from any other platformers I've played, however they're simple to control too, you use klonoa's weapon which is a ring called the "wind bullet" in order to grab enemies so that you can throw them at other enemies or jump on them on mid-air to do a double jump, there's also a "wirlwind" move you can do, but to be honest, I really don't know what it does or what is the purpose of it...

The game is a traditional platformer but with a really interesting design, since it has items which you must open by tossing at it with an enemy, like and egg, or a clock which is a checkpoint, or a creature which multiplies the gems you collect by 2x for a short amount of time, and there are also prisoners which are collectible throughout the game which you can unlock a bonus if you collect them all, and later on in the game it includes platformer-based puzzles in order to progress in the game, the gameplay is very interesting and it is fun to play ! and it also supports any type of controler you have, be it the wii remote sideways, with the nunchuck, with the classic controler or even the gamecube controller !

Graphics
The game is designed in a 2.5D world and, for the most part, looks really great and colorfull ! even though some areas look a little aged, the game still looks very appropriate for it's type, and you can even sometimes reach items from the enviroment around you like it feels like a 3D game !

Music and Sound
The music, even though it's not memorable, it's really good ! mosts levels have their own music, some of them actually don't represent the level, but it's not that bothersome even though that's what makes it not memorable.

The sounds are cutesy and simple, but appropiate for a game like this, and there's also voice acting in the game ! depending on what language do you speak (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, etc.), I thought that the voice acting was really good, but I can see that some people might not like it since the voice acting sounds cheesy and cutesy like it came from a children's cartoon, BUT ! there's also an option which you can change the language to "Phantomile", which is the original language for klonoa, where the characters grumble and don't speak... however I do like the voice acting better though.

Presentation
Klonoa is actually a remake from a playstation game called "Klonoa: Door to Phantomile", however I haven't played that one so I can't compare this for the other. So even though the game sounds good, there is a problem with it: it's too short, since the game has only 13 levels (14 if you count the extra level), later on the levels get longer, but not by much if you play games in one sitting, but there are some extras unlocked once you beat the game which are costumes, a time attack, a movie viewer, a character viewer, a mirror mode and an extra level in which you must free all prisoners in the game in order to unlock this level and once you beat the extra level you will get a jukebox, and you can also try to collect all the gems in all levels (good luck with that if you're trying to do that...).

Overall
The game is very good and fun for a platformer fan like me, however the game is too short and if you don't like those type games but you like platformers, give this a rent if possible, but if any of this interests you and don't mind short games, then go ahead and buy this, as for me, this game gets...

an 8/10

8- Great This is a great game that might have a few flaws or could have been better, but is still a game we highly recommend!
Attachments
Review: Klonoa (Wii Retail) Attachment
Klonoa_Wii_Front.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(94 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
klonoa.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(35 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
klonoa2.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(91 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Klonoa-WiiScreenshots240242206.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(111 Kb) Downloaded 1 times

Last edited by Jnes5 on February 9th 2012, 2:59 am; edited 6 times in total

Also on PSN ! PSN: jnesDX
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

OddyWorld
July 19th 2011, 2:13 pmOddyWorld
This game is great albeit a bit short great review jnes5!
KeAfan7
July 19th 2011, 2:18 pmKeAfan7
Wow what a great review jnes5 Very Happy
Jnes5
July 19th 2011, 2:24 pmJnes5
Rukiafan wrote:Wow what a great review jnes5 Very Happy

Thanks ! Very Happy

This is the effort I've put out in my first try ! I hope it captures the game very well !

If there's anything I need to improve, just say what it is !
KeAfan7
July 19th 2011, 2:30 pmKeAfan7
It's perfect ^^
It looks like you may become our best reviewer given the fact that this first review of yours is one of the best on wiiwarewave Very Happy
Marioman18
July 19th 2011, 2:40 pmMarioman18
Rukiafan wrote:It's perfect ^^
It looks like you may become our best reviewer given the fact that this first review of yours is one of the best on wiiwarewave Very Happy
I know,I couldn't believe my eyes when I read this review,because it's on another level from 90% of the other reviews here,fabulous job jnes5
Ganondorfthewicked
July 19th 2011, 4:13 pmGanondorfthewicked
I don't know what to say other than this review blew me away Shocked
great review Exclamation
KingreX32
July 19th 2011, 5:02 pmKingreX32
While I myself wouldnt buy this game, your review was great/ Good job dude.
Zatchbell
July 19th 2011, 6:41 pmZatchbell
What a magnificent review Surprised
PrinnyDood
July 19th 2011, 7:41 pmPrinnyDood
I think I enjoyed your review more than the game,and I really like klonoa Very Happy
ZezHylia
July 19th 2011, 7:56 pmZezHylia
Sounds great,I want it,but how much does this game cost Question
I only have $30 right now D:
Himawari Chan
July 19th 2011, 8:04 pmHimawari Chan
@jnes5 Really nice review
@zezhylia I'm not 100 percent sure but you should have enough money for it Smile
Jnes5
July 19th 2011, 8:31 pmJnes5
ZezHylia wrote:Sounds great,I want it,but how much does this game cost Question
I only have $30 right now D:

I saw the game being less than 20 bucks at gamestop as both new and used, but it's raised a few bucks on ebay so...

It really depends on where you live really...

@everyone

Wow... silent

I never knew I could have so much praise for this review !

you guys are the best ! Sad
Cloud_Strife
July 19th 2011, 8:53 pmCloud_Strife
You are going to be an awesome reviewer someday your ability to write reviews is already better than mine,and that was your first review.......nice work man,nice work Wink

Too bad we online reviewers don't get paid at most sites,but the comments the community gives you for writing a good review is priceless Very Happy
Amufungal
July 19th 2011, 11:52 pmAmufungal
Wonderful review jnes5,I can't wait to see your next review bounce
SonicKnuckles
July 20th 2011, 2:59 amSonicKnuckles
Best review on the entire site Very Happy
Supertimbros
July 20th 2011, 12:10 pmSupertimbros
Super awesome review jnes5 Very Happy
Link_i_am
July 22nd 2011, 1:40 pmLink_i_am
This game rocks big time,and so does your review Exclamation
Akatsuki
July 22nd 2011, 2:41 pmAkatsuki
Awesome review =)
When can we expect your next one?
Bashful1996
July 22nd 2011, 3:47 pmBashful1996
Klonoa is such a fun game and I feel your review is very accurate Wink
FuManchu
July 22nd 2011, 7:05 pmFuManchu
Amazing review if wiiwarewave had a rating I would give it a 5/5
Otaku
July 26th 2011, 12:40 pmOtaku
Awesome game and your review does it justice Very Happy
Akatsuki
September 8th 2011, 12:22 pmAkatsuki
Pichuman wrote:Awesome game and your review does it justice Very Happy
I know Jnes5's reviews are all awesome Very Happy
Marth
January 31st 2012, 1:38 amMarth
Thanks for linking me to the version I can actually read, Jnes. Razz Looking at the screenshots, I'm reminded how improved the visuals are in this one. I still prefer the gameplay and difficulty of the PS1 original, but this version is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)