Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
SKTTR
SKTTR
Admin
BUDDY & ME

DREAM EDITION

(C) SUNBREAK GAMES

Wii U Port by SKY TYRANNOSAUR and STUDIO PEPWUPER.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/HXozwgKxwRk

Players: 1

EU Release Date: 2016.07.21 Price: €4.39 / £3.89
US Release Date: 2016.07.21 Price: $4.99

Tested: EU PAL Version

It's a dream in where you can not stop your legs from running!

Review: BUDDY & ME - DREAM EDITION (Wii U eShop) WiiUDS_BuddyAndMeDreamEdition_01_mediaplayer_large

A boy and a girl dream of a peaceful fantasy world in where they visit the mystical but friendly flying-creature they call Buddy. The hook is they cannot stop moving forward in the picturebook-like beautiful forest. Your goal is to play as one of the kids and get as far as possible within your 2 minute time-limit. Then the alarm clock rings to wake you up, your highscores will be saved, and you can start again.

Buddy greets you through the window and as you leave your bed you start running automatically. You leave your bedroom and enter the magical forest with Buddy watching you as he flies alongside. You only need the A button to jump. Press it a second time for a double-jump and a third time to glide down. As the screen scrolls by you jump on wooden platforms through the trees, use trampoline mushrooms, and collect different items along your way to get a better score and to extend your time limit. There are hundereds and thousands of stars on your way. Those have two functions: They fill the Buddy-meter, and once it's full Buddy comes and picks you up for a flight through the sky. This is a bonus stage that stops your timer and can get you all kinds of stuff. In these scenes you only have to press up/down on the controller to move Buddy. Also, stars can be used to buy things from the Extra-menu. There are 3 upgrade items that you can also find throughout your runs: +10 seconds, speed up, and x2 stars. Unlock the other 3 seasons, a bunch of costumes for both characters, and concept art. It's also where you can view your highscores and change characters. The hand-drawn characters and backgrounds look great, everything is nicely designed to keep the illusion of the dream intact.

Review: BUDDY & ME - DREAM EDITION (Wii U eShop) WiiUDS_BuddyAndMeDreamEdition_03_mediaplayer_large

The funny-looking Buddy often comes to help with its belly as a jumping pad or its tail as a vine to swing with. What can prevent you from a getting a good score is when you miss a platform and fall. A bunch of flying bunnies will come to save you and carry you over to the next platform, but they do it slowly, costing you time as a penalty and also emptying the Buddy-meter. Those bunnies have a second role as well and you can find them flying around. They will travel along with you as you touch them. Each of them gives you +5 seconds bonus time at the end of an area  and lots of points!

Review: BUDDY & ME - DREAM EDITION (Wii U eShop) WiiUDS_BuddyAndMeDreamEdition_02_mediaplayer_large

The stages are endless and different everytime. As for the difficutly, sometimes you are lucky in getting many good items and multiple easy jumping sections, and sometimes it gets pretty challenging. The random nature of Buddy & Me's level design makes it very replayable.

It's a quick pick-up&play style game that can be played for a few rounds now and then with or without friends and family. The 4 different seasons and unlockables also bring some variety and longevity. It's a shame then that the different seasons all have the same 2 music tracks.  We would have wished for more variety there as well as the the soundtrack is pretty good until you realise that it never changes.

Review: BUDDY & ME - DREAM EDITION (Wii U eShop) WiiUDS_BuddyAndMeDreamEdition_06_mediaplayer_large

Now on to the issue we had with the game, though it's not a super-big one, it's noticable and might be a problem for some: the game has a stuttering framerate. This is sometimes influencing your button presses, say if you hold the button too long it can be registered as two button presses, plus it can cut out graphics/animations. Even the music and sound is influenced sometimes and crackles for a moment.

Buddy & Me is a charming, party&family-friendly, easy-to-learn, fun-to-play, randomly-generated endless runner with a fair but-not-overwhelming amount of content. It's alright for the price. The downside is that the gameplay doesn't run very smooth. More of this great music would've also been nice.

SKTTRSKORE: 6.5/10

Written by SKTTR, 30th July 2016

Last edited by SKTTR on September 4th 2016, 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Clαππαd
July 31st 2016, 11:08 amClαππαd
What a wonderful review @SKTTR!
Most people I know would never imagine that English isn't your first language. Smile
SKTTR
@Clαππαd

Actually I'm pretty scared about my English.. (when publishing a review)
I know I sound weird or funny sometimes.. but I love the language.
I love learning more and getting better.
I love how English gives you access to more people and more information than most languages.
KeAfan7
Thanks for reviewing this @SKTTR! Wink
Aqua Cherry Blossom
August 3rd 2016, 10:00 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review lol. Smile
Kain
Nice review @SKTTR!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)