Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
FuManchu
FuManchu
When in Iceland lead the Viking army:

Review: Swords And Soldiers HD (Wii U eshop) Wiiu_s18

Swords And Soldiers was one of the best-selling early titles released on the WiiWare service and rightfully so. Published by Two Tribes Games Swords And Soldiers was a strategy title that had players command the Vikings and other armies against one another in sidescrolling fashion. You must hire miners to obtain gold and then send attack units into battle all while using gold to build up mana so you can heal your units to prevent them from falling in battle. These are just the basics and as you progress through the campaign mode you will find that the game has a lot of strategic depth to it.

Review: Swords And Soldiers HD (Wii U eshop) Wiiu_s19

There are other returning modes as well such as the straightforward skirmish mode where you face off against a cpu player in pre-set conditions. You can earn achievements which normally don't serve much of a purpose, but thanks to Miiverse you can show off your achievements to your friends for bragging rights. Swords And Soldiers HD brings to the table a new multiplayer mode which is a fun distraction from the campaign and can be a challenge if your friend is a battle hardened Swords And Soldiers pro.

Swords And Soldiers requires the use of the gamepad which is disappointing given that the point and click controls of the Wiimote were more enjoyable than the touch controls of the gamepad.

Review: Swords And Soldiers HD (Wii U eshop) Wiiu_s20

Swords And Soldiers has simple and colorful cartoon inspired graphics that give the game a cute and lighthearted character while the music is also lighthearted and cheerful. This might seem strange for a war-based strategy title, but it somehow works with Swords And Soldiers. The only thing that stands out is that it really doesn't look like the game is in true HD, but regardless it looks impressive even on a SDTV!

Review: Swords And Soldiers HD (Wii U eshop) Wiiu_s21

Final Verdict: Swords And Soldiers HD is an high definition reboot of the popular WiiWare title Swords And Soldiers. The game has exciting new modes and improved graphics over the WiiWare version of Swords And Soldier, but not everything has been changed for the better as the point and click controls of the original version of the game were much more enjoyable than the newly added touch screen controls. Even with the negatives the game has enough new content and at its ultra low price you would be foolish to pass up this game even if you already own the WiiWare version of the game.

Review Score: 8/10

Review: Swords And Soldiers HD (Wii U eshop) Opb10
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
Thanks for another amazing review. Wink
Zatchbell
May 26th 2014, 3:46 pmZatchbell
This is a well written review!
Staroceancrazy
May 26th 2014, 4:15 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review Very Happy
Elza
The addition of multiplayer is the only reason why I'm considering downloading this game again.
I already have Swords And Soldiers for Wii. Smile
Link_i_am
May 27th 2014, 12:53 pmLink_i_am
Good review.
Tech101
Spot on review!  Because of the price I decided to triple dip. Figured the graphics alone was worth it!  Fun game and can't wait for #2
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)