Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
FuManchu
FuManchu
The art of war

Review: Advance Wars (Wii U VC) Wiiu_s10

Gameplay

Advance Wars is a tactical strategy title that was originally released for the Gameboy Advance during the turn of the new millennium. You start off as an unknown recruit during the first 13 missions which serve as a tutorial showing you how to play the game. After that you unlock the campaign mode and choose one of three CO's to lead your battalions. Each CO has unique abilities that can help out in a pinch. There are many different units in Advance Wars each with their own movement patterns, attack power, and tactical advantages over certain units requiring you to think before you act. Another strategy is to capture enemy cities allowing you to earn money and deploy new units.

The campaign is impressive in-terms of both content and length so don't expect to finish the campaign in just a few sessions. Other modes include versus and can be played single player or with some friends!

Unlike the other GBA launch titles on the eshop you can play multiplayer in Advance Wars, but you will have to pass a single controller around to accomplish this which isn't ideal though it is better than nothing.

Review: Advance Wars (Wii U VC) Wiiu_s11

Presentation

The stages and character sprites have aged nicely in Advance Wars and look surprisingly well given the age of the game. Pixelation is minimal even without using the visual options in the Virtual Console menu. The short battle sequences look impressive, but they are somewhat lenthy so turning them off might be a good idea for impatient players.

On an audio standpoint the game sounds superb with a wide variety of different sound effects and a rocking soundtrack.

Review: Advance Wars (Wii U VC) Wiiu_s12

Final Verdict Advance Wars is a game that shines in almost every facet and the few flaws it does have are hardly worth mentioning. If you enjoy a challenging strategy title you might be disappointed, but if you like a fun lighthearted strategy title that will keep you entertained for hours then you should download this charming game!

10/10

Review: Advance Wars (Wii U VC) Opb10
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
April 7th 2014, 3:04 pmKeAfan7
Thanks for reviewing Advance Wars! Keep up the hard work dude. Wink
SuperVash
April 7th 2014, 7:03 pmSuperVash
It's awesome that we're finally seeing new virtual console games that weren't released on the Wii virtual console! I will download em' all! Cool
ToughGamer
April 7th 2014, 10:21 pmToughGamer
SuperVash wrote:It's awesome that we're finally seeing new virtual console games that weren't released on the Wii virtual console! I will download em' all! Cool
Let's hope that this will improve the third party support we've been seeing for the service 'or rather the lack thereof'.
Ragnarok
April 8th 2014, 4:25 pmRagnarok
This is a cool game.
Marioman18
April 9th 2014, 1:04 pmMarioman18
I used to have Advance Wars 2 and played the heck out of it, but is Advance Wars 1 as good?
Staroceancrazy
April 10th 2014, 12:17 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review Very Happy
Anonymous
April 10th 2014, 12:53 pmGuest
This is such a detailed and beautiful review! I love you
RyanNerdyGamer
April 13th 2014, 1:24 amRyanNerdyGamer
Woo! Famicom Wars! cheers
KeAfan7
April 14th 2014, 1:14 amKeAfan7
This is part of the Famicom Wars series? Surprised
Aqua Cherry Blossom
April 14th 2014, 1:36 amAqua Cherry Blossom
Rukiafan wrote:This is part of the Famicom Wars series? Surprised
I believe so. Smile
Aussiegamer
April 14th 2014, 2:00 amAussiegamer
Excellent review mate! :-D
Marioman18
April 14th 2014, 2:10 amMarioman18
I can't beat this game, but it's a blast to play. victory
Tech101
April 29th 2014, 2:28 pmTech101
Marioman18 wrote:I used to have Advance Wars 2 and played the heck out of it, but is Advance Wars 1 as good?

There might be a few less options but it's still the same great gameplay. If you liked the second you can go wrong with the first!
KokorOtaku
April 29th 2014, 2:35 pmKokorOtaku
I really hope a new Battalion wars and or advance wars is in the works
Tech101
April 29th 2014, 2:42 pmTech101
Romantaku wrote:I really hope a new Battalion wars and or advance wars is in the works

I was not a big Battalion Wars fan but I really hope there is an Avance Wars announcement.  It might even be out quickly as the 3ds games seem to be much easier to make. I still remember the bombshell that was Mario and Luigi last year!
KeAfan7
April 29th 2014, 7:20 pmKeAfan7
It's hard to stop playing this game once you get past the training mode portion of the campaign. Wink
ShounenMania
April 30th 2014, 5:25 pmShounenMania
Advance Wars is awesome. Review: Advance Wars (Wii U VC) 631737971
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)