Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Gamergy
Gamergy
Web game clone or serious upgrade?

SteamWorld Dig Review (3DS eShop) SteamWorld-Dig-Banner

SteamWorld Dig is an interesting game. You play as a robot miner named Rusty, and you are looking for your missing uncle in a mine. Rusty runs across his uncle's corpse, and then your first goal is to mine some ore. The story and the objectives change as you progress through the game.

You start out with just a pickaxe, but eventually you will unlock boots that you can run faster in, dynamite you can throw, and more. Some of these take up a water meter, which you can refill by jumping in water. Make sure your lantern has fuel in it, if your light goes out you can’t see ore!

The game doesn’t really tell you the controls, so I’ll explain them.

D-pad/Circle Pad: Move Rusty (it’s a 2-D game so D-pad works best)
B: Jump
L: Switch primary tool
A: use primary tool
R: switch secondary tool
X: use secondary tool
Y: dash (once speed boots are unlocked)

Rusty learns more moves throughout the game, but there are hints on how to use them. How do you go back up? Wall jump of course.

SteamWorld Dig Review (3DS eShop) 1386602510

After you mine ore, bring it up to the surface and sell it. As you sell more ore, more tools and power-ups will be unlocked to buy from stores, as well as finding certain items in caves. The power-ups range from increasing your max health, max water, upgraded pickaxe or drill, and more. Some items require orbs to buy; some don’t cost money but only costs orbs. Keep an eye on your orb count, as orbs are more rare than ore.

Does this game sound familiar? Well then you must have played the web game Motherload. SteamWorld Dig is basically an upgraded, portable version of Motherload. Is it worth paying for? SteamWorld Dig has more of a platformer feel, and if you like Motherload, you will love this game.

Graphically it looks good for an indie game, although nothing seriously impressive. I usually don't care about graphics, but I wish the 3D was used more. The 3D is used only a little more than, say, New Super Mario Bros. 2. Music wise? It was calming, but the sound effects are so much louder than the music that sometimes it's hard to enjoy the music

SteamWorld Dig Review (3DS eShop) 12508351344_7e5572b9f8_o

Lets talk about the enemies. I may have bad-mouthed the graphics and sound, but the enemies make up for it. At first the only enemies you will face are small bugs that just walk left and right, but it goes to enemies that will throw dynamite, enemies that will chase after you and explode, and more. There is even a final boss, and it is pretty hard. The enemies are tough to fight sometimes, as you can lose health fast. I died quite a few times on the final boss alone. Overall I thought the enemies made the game, as if there were no enemies the game wouldn’t be as much fun.

It only took me just under 6 hours to beat SteamWorld Dig, but it was a lot of fun. I completed it in only two play sessions; it was addicting enough to play for 3 hours at a time. Yes the graphics and sound aren't the best, but the gameplay is great. Is it worth paying about $10 for a game based on a free web game? Maybe, it depends on how much you want to spend, but if you like Motherload and want it on the go this is the game to get.

Main Pros: fun and addictive gameplay, various tools and abilities keep it interesting

Main Cons: graphics and sound not the best, very short game, simpler version is available as a free web game

Score: 8/10
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

NINTENBRO
February 25th 2014, 12:47 pmNINTENBRO
I think the spritework for this game is superb. The graphics may not be all that impressive, but the art style most definitely is. Well written review Gamergy, I would've awarded the game the same score.
KeAfan7
February 25th 2014, 1:46 pmKeAfan7
This game is on my radar now because of your review! Nice work dude. Wink
Marioman18
February 25th 2014, 2:00 pmMarioman18
This sounds like what Spelunker for the NES should've been, brilliant review Gamergy. victory
Gamergy
February 25th 2014, 8:24 pmGamergy
@NINTENBRO82 For the look they were going for I thought it was good, but overall still fell short in my opinion. I really wish the 3D was better, however I don't think the score would be any different, as I base my scores more on the fun factor than graphics.

@Rukiafan It's a fun game, but too short. I bet if I did a speed run on it I could beat it in under 5 hours, but for $10 you'll get your money's worth.

I'm hoping for a sequel, but then I remember I'm still waiting on Elite Beat Agents 2 Sad
Clαππαd
February 26th 2014, 11:27 amClαππαd
I didn't like this game very much, but I know it's just a matter of preference of games.
This review is very nicely written @Gamergy. Smile
FM_Alchemist
February 26th 2014, 12:10 pmFM_Alchemist
This is a great game, though I agree that it is too short.
DigiDestined
March 9th 2014, 3:11 pmDigiDestined
This is a good game, but it's too short. Nice review through! =)
SuperVash
March 11th 2014, 2:55 pmSuperVash
Superb review. The game starts off slow, but after the first 15 minutes it gets much better. Cool
DigiDestined
March 21st 2014, 6:43 pmDigiDestined
Gamergy wrote:

I'm hoping for a sequel, but then I remember I'm still waiting on Elite Beat Agents 2 Sad
At first I read that as Elite Beat Angels 2 and thought to myself what the?! lol!
Talesfanatic
April 14th 2014, 11:35 amTalesfanatic
Is this similar to Cave Story in any way?
Gamergy
April 14th 2014, 5:53 pmGamergy
I wouldn't say it's much like cave story. The graphics look similar and the 2D platforming is, well, 2D of course, but in Cave Story you're shooting more. SteamWorld Dig is attacking with a pickaxe/drill. You do get an eerie feeling while playing, just like in Cave Story. Other than that eerie feeling and the same type of graphics, they are very different. Try playing the web game motherload before getting SteamWorld Dig, but motherload is basically a simplified version of SteamWorld Dig, and not as good.
Amufungal
April 15th 2014, 11:29 amAmufungal
Gamergy wrote:I wouldn't say it's much like cave story. The graphics look similar and the 2D platforming is, well, 2D of course, but in Cave Story you're shooting more. SteamWorld Dig is attacking with a pickaxe/drill. You do get an eerie feeling while playing, just like in Cave Story. Other than that eerie feeling and the same type of graphics, they are very different. Try playing the web game motherload before getting SteamWorld Dig, but motherload is basically a simplified version of SteamWorld Dig, and not as good.
The graphics are much more detailed in SteamWorld Dig though Smile
ToughGamer
September 15th 2014, 3:00 pmToughGamer
Good review.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)