Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
SkywardL
SkywardL
Admin
2 Fast 4 Gnomz (eShop) review 2fast4_baner_3d
© 2012 QubicGames

Developer: QubicGames
Publisher: QubicGames

NA release date: November 1, 2012

# of Players: 1 player (1 save file that can't be deleted)
Available on 3DS eShop: price tag $4.99
Genre: runner platformer

The King of Gnomz is in trouble. He needs a princess to marry to and hundreds of socks immediately. You should know how difficult it is to write a script for an auto-running platerformer. In 2 Fast 4 Gnomz, available now on the Nintendo 3DS eShop in North America, you play as a “fun size” gnome that must collect as many socks and kissing as many frog as possible. Are you up to the challenge?

Gameplay

Your Gnome runs off towards the first of 10 levels taking place during the summer. After completing the summer levels in order once, the gnome then progress the rest of the seasons with 10 levels each with the average length at 30 seconds at default speed. During the summer, the only thing the gnome needs to worry about while purposively running through multiple checkpoints is to jump (A button) over spikes and using the gliding pants (hold up when in the air) over long gaps. Hitting a wall, touching a spike, or falling into a gap will immediately return to the last checkpoint. After realizing that the princess is in another castle, your gnome goes berserk and obtains a transformation that can vigorously smash (hold down) through tall tree stumps and can drop to the ground rapidly while the momentum is still the same. Other transformations includes a more increase in speed (holding right) and traveling back in time (holding left when near a clock) and restart in unexpectedly unfair position. The more levels you progress, the more commanding the sequence of directional abilities will need to perform in quick succession.

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (eShop) review CvWQh8cds9597LzWnCVSuQQ9iqfNnFMg

Each of the 40 levels has three types of challenges with star rankings: getting the most amounts of socks, getting the fastest time, and getting the fewest amounts of do-overs. Fortunately, you don’t have to tackle all three of them simultaneous. Once you ranked three stars on one of the challenges, if you choose to restart a level, focus on one of the remaining two. Another thing to keep in mind is that some levels have branching paths and also returning to the last checkpoint will also return the timer back to it’s previous time of which you pass through that checkpoint. After collecting enough stars from each season, you then have access up to 5 Nightmare levels and they are nightmarish indeed.

The game controls responsively. However, to get the best performance you must avoid the Circle Pad because it feels very awkward and it’s not as tight as the D-pad. When speeding faster, there is one annoyance that you must avoid, and that is landing on the edge. Your gnome will instantly make a small hop when not landing straight that will more likely to lose a life. Challenge is definitely the main enjoyment for the memorization gameplay. If you don’t favor games that uses reflexes as progression instead of skill, than this isn’t the game for you.

Presentation

After playing the first level of 2 Fast 4 Gnomz, I already notice the improvements from the WiiWare original even though I only try out the demo. In the demo, the scenery layering between the background and middle ground of where the action takes place is cohesively patch to the middle ground that it’s difficult to determine any obstacles especially with the uncontrollably speed. In the 3DS version, the visuals are layer more correctly and the hue for each layering is more definable without the need for stereoscopic 3D, although the 3D really does deliver a sense of speed for the Gnome especially when the camera zooms out during the increase speed transformation. The Nightmare levels are where the 3D becomes helpful due to the levels artistic hollowness, darker, unfriendly coloring palettes. The Nightmare levels are both visually and physically haunting (to your thumb); think of them as a late Halloween tweat.

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (eShop) review I0uONtolJf-V1nWzuOiVUiTJ4FxSeU69

The art direction is insightfully adorable and yet the whole world is uninhabitable except for socks. The music is catchy, while limited, with different moods for each type of level. The only disappointment in the presentation is the alarmism from the loading screen before the start of each level. During the loading screen, the bottom screen is not the issue as it instruct an action that you'll use the most in the level. The top screen, however, shows a clock that the hands slightly move during every loading screen with cottons covering the rest of the screen. I assume that the cottons will slowly reveal some sort of conclusion when collecting more stars. Unfortunately, there is no purpose other than it’s a very suspicious loading screen.

Conclusion

2 Fast 4 Gnomz is right up there with Mutant Mudds for using the most impressive stereoscopic depth in a platformer. However, it also has a similar major complaint from Mutant Mudds with the fact that there are no boss encounters. For 5 bucks, it’s a good investment to challenge yourself on directional coordinating with the rewarding accomplishment is to brutally challenge yourself some more. On the Nintendo 3DS XL, Gnomz size does matter.

7.7 / 10 eShop points

7 - Good: This game may have a few flaws or may have somewhat shoddy controls, or minor sound/graphics flaws, but the game itself should be fun if you like the genre, and can overlook the potential flaws

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

SkywardL
November 1st 2012, 2:48 pmSkywardL
Oops!

I forgot to thank QubicGames for the review code Smile
KeAfan7
June 5th 2013, 11:48 amKeAfan7
No comments?! Nice review dude. Wink
NINTENBRO
June 5th 2013, 1:12 pmNINTENBRO
Yeah, great review SkywardL. This game really is a lot more enjoyable to play on the 3DS.
Anonymous
June 6th 2013, 10:04 amGuest
@Nintenbro I disagree the game is so fast paced that it gives me a headache on the small screen. Sad
Marioman18
June 6th 2013, 10:45 amMarioman18
Superb review @SkywardL! When will you be returning?
Aqua Cherry Blossom
August 12th 2013, 1:19 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
What are some of the most interesting aspects of this game that set it apart from Bit-Trip Runner?
NINTENBRO
August 14th 2013, 1:01 pmNINTENBRO
Don't allow the cutesy visual design fool you. This game will really give you a RUN for your money. Very Happy
KIBAxHINATA
November 19th 2013, 2:17 pmKIBAxHINATA
This game is a steal at its price. Good review.
NINTENBRO
November 19th 2013, 8:01 pmNINTENBRO
^ 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ is actually on sale for only $2.99, until November 21rst in EU & AU and November 27th in NA. I actually find this game more challenging and enjoyable than Bit.Trip Runner. Plus, this game doesn't suffer from framerate issues on the 3DS.
Splatuna
November 20th 2013, 2:28 pmSplatuna
Nintenbro wrote:^ 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ is actually on sale for only $2.99, until November 21rst in EU & AU and November 27th in NA. I actually find this game more challenging and enjoyable than Bit.Trip Runner. Plus, this game doesn't suffer from framerate issues on the 3DS.
Thanks I didn't know that this was discounted right now.
NINTENBRO
November 20th 2013, 10:11 pmNINTENBRO
^ Let me know what you think of the game. I think the level designs are genius.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)