Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
SkywardL
SkywardL
Admin
Resident Evil: Revelations

Review: Resident Evil ~ Revelations (3DS Retail) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtqJUcApcjbBZ7B0WU8ZlHRQBoS4-KAhYh6DIZ2L5cwmSjgJGQag

(C) 2012 Capcom Co., LTD

Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom

NA Release: February 7, 2012
EU Release: January 24, 2012

Players: 1 - 2 (download play, online)
Recommended Price Tag: $34,99
Genre: Action, Adventure

Don't tell me that was the tugboat.

Yes it was but don’t get upset Jill Valentine because you’re taking the role as a brunet Zero Suit Samus in Resident Evil: Revelations for the Nintendo 3DS. Instead of zombies and las plagas, and new form of Bio-Organic Weapons are threatening the world through sea from the origins known as the t-abyss virus. Jill and her partner Parker Luciani, who dealt with these hideous mutations before, are on board the Queen Zenobia in search for Chris Redfield. Unfortunately, for them, they are trap in the infected cruise ship and the kindred monstrosities aren’t the only things they need to be worrying about.

Before dealing with the unknown of the Queen Zenobia, Jill must deal with the option settings. Choosing the 3D enhancement, aiming in third or first-person, and laser color are all easy to choose from base on preference except for control. There are three control methods, the first is the default method where L and R shoulder buttons are require for strafing and aiming with the slide pad respectfully. The second method, when looking through the options hard enough is gyro sensor and this control scheme abandons the L shoulder button entirely. When holding R for pointing your gun at a B.O.W., strafing is as easy to perform as using the slide pad and gyro sensor is use for aiming. The gyro feels right at home in Revelations, as there are moments of on-rail segments and when stuck in a room while waves of enemy approaches while Jill is ready and waiting in the corner. There are some occasions the gyro sensor needs to recalibrate, fortunately, is as simple as letting go the R button and functional when aiming again. The third method is when equip with the Circle Pad Pro and works as a traditional console experience on a handheld, however, inputs are on the new button layout. No matter what control methods preference the most, they all work the why they should work.

Review: Resident Evil ~ Revelations (3DS Retail) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNJ1krcnrCILpwk4BIydzJSoMnwKrnn9K7Lq1810cjaErkHaht

Now since that’s out of the way, Jill can now investigate and try to stay alive from B.O.W.s. While hitting their nonexplosive heads still effective, the most survival method is swiftly pass them with a dodge maneuver. Performing a dodge Jill must be facing them without taking aim but still perform while reloading. As soon as they strike, pressing up on the slide pad to move pass them and continuing moving forward or down + B for a skillful turnaround. Sometimes they get petrify from waves of bullets and that is a perfect opportunity to perform a close up charge melee attack by holding down B. These enemies are incapable of opening doors so it’s very welcoming to be able to avoid wasting ammunition and just surpass them since they don’t leave ammunition when defeat. However these rooms may contain hidden ammunition and achievements when using the Genesis to scan the previously infect room. Noticing the different acts between clearing out and exiting a room as quickly as possible is through the games alerting soundtrack. Eavesdropping the nearby sounds of moans and creaky machinery while cautiously progress the unfamiliar areas of the ship, knowing the objective with optional exploration with ominous orchestrate music, and an approaching doom soundtrack reminder the importance of quickly reaching the goal are ingenious uses of atmospheric gameplay. New to the series is swimming underwater, later on, these are avoiding segments by repeatedly pressing B to swim faster and head to the surface.

Revelations is very compelling in terms of map design. The Campaign Mode is mostly streamline, early episodes going through one room after another and filling corridors with lock rooms except progression. Obtaining keys opens exploration and brilliant backtracking thanks to new challenges and going back with a cautious state of mind. Taking a break from Jill’s perspective of hell, playing other playable characters change the gameplay from claustrophobic into a coherent Mercenaries level. However, the other noticeable change during playing the campaign again in harder difficulty, realization of them using a preset standard equipment while waiting to play as Jill again just to use her more rewarding weaponry with a Charge Shot upgrade that really brings her inner Zero Suit Samus bountifulness. Raid Mode transforms all the existing campaign layouts into a search and destroy thriller with a cooperative friend or a Resident Evil fan. It’s less streamline than the Campaign Mode but there’s no need to slightly tilt the slide pad forward.

Review: Resident Evil ~ Revelations (3DS Retail) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN7mHyp7caQOYwEKsDLE40n7CgZ2XxB9KeXLHCUTisgyK3yPl7Jg

Resident Evil: Revelations is a surprisingly pick up and play handheld experience. The game becomes less grotesque with progression but still as gripping. The demands from Campaign Mode and the freedom from Raid Mode bring the best of both of those worlds. The AI partner will not bring an annoyance of a Game Over screen and never fall behind while a real cooperative partner changes the pace of accomplishment, for better or for worst. The puzzle elements on the touch screen are repetitively uninspiring and the occasional frame drop while entering the next room eliminates the suspense of enemy encounters are flaws, and they do set back on the experience. It’s still an impressive 3DS retail game thanks to clever use of backtracking, an episodic story with the same lovable cheesiness, the absent of quick time events, in-game achievements and rankings, and stunning presentation of lighting and sound which brings a true Resident Evil experience on a go.

8.8 / 10 Skyward points

9- Awesome This game has little in the way of flaws, and is a highly enjoyable experience.

Last edited by SkywardL on May 23rd 2012, 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

RoryLee
February 28th 2012, 4:30 pmRoryLee
Nice Review, SkywardL! I currently just beat Hell Mode, and I can say that it was one of the hardest and most frustrating times that I had in any game. And before that I went through Easy Mode trying to beat it without using any herbs, and that itself was a lot more challenging than I thought it would be.

Now I want to finish up Raid Mode. So if you ever want to play, just send out a message on the site.
Marth
Honestly had no interest in this game, but you make it sound pretty enticing. Might have to pick it up, or at least the demo.
KingreX32
February 28th 2012, 6:20 pmKingreX32
Awesome dude. These 3ds reviews are really gonna help out Wiiwarewave.

Members dont forget to tweet these articles. and dont forget about Wiiwarewaves twitter page and facebook page.

Jnes5
Good review dude !

It's great to see someone review a recently released 3DS game on this site ! major props to you !

As for the game, it sounds really great ! since I've enjoyed both resident evil 4 and 5, this one sounds just as good if not better than the other games thanks to it's online features, different ways of attacking, among other things !
SkywardL
Thanks for all the wonderful comments and let me remind you that Revelations is the most highly rated 3DS game, from those who own the game, according to the rating chart from the Nintendo eShop.
NINTENBRO
September 2nd 2012, 8:06 pmNINTENBRO
I'll definitely try to purchase a copy of this when it's a little bit cheaper. I want to purchase a copy of all the Resident Evil games on Wii too. You can't beat the pointer controls for shooting.
Komicturtle
September 2nd 2012, 8:41 pmKomicturtle
I think Amazon had it for $17 Nintenbro.
KingreX32
September 4th 2012, 5:38 pmKingreX32
i really want to try this one
KeAfan7
Great review, please contact me soon, I'm getting worried since you suddenly disappeared on us. pale
KingreX32
Ive seen him on WiiU a few times.
Ulqiorrathegreat
September 16th 2013, 6:58 pmUlqiorrathegreat
I don't regret my purchase of this game.
KingreX32
September 19th 2013, 5:36 pmKingreX32
goodness I still need to finish my review of this for wiiu
NINTENBRO
September 20th 2013, 11:54 amNINTENBRO
I'm sure you'll be awarding this game a good score as well KingreX32. Although, the pace of the game may have felt better suited for a handheld.
KingreX32
September 22nd 2013, 4:52 pmKingreX32
well I did enjoy it alot
Clαππαd
November 11th 2013, 12:13 pmClαππαd
Nice review.
This was the first Resident Evil game since Resident Evil 4 that was actually a little scary. Smile
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)