Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Jnes5
Jnes5
Mario and his friends, old and new, are on a journey to stop Count Bleck before he uses the Chaos Heart to open an inter-dimensional rift known as "The Void", which will eventually engulf the entire universe !

Story
I've got to say, for a mario game, it is amazing ! it's pretty original and it is very charming with it's humor and tone, there are some people who think that the game is too text heavy, in which I half-agree, since there is some unnecessary narration every time you enter a chapter or finish it, but as for the rest, the story is very well told but with a few plot-twists that can be predictable very easily.

Gameplay
Super paper mario plays just like a mario platformer which you only use the wii remote sideways, but the gameplay also has a lot of new things, the game is a mixture of platforming with RPG elements, in which you can earn XP (which are named "Points") by defeating enemies, use coins to buy items, etc. But there are also some new gameplay mechanics included in the game, such as some new characters named pixls where each of them can be found each of them have an ability to throw or destroy obstacles, become tiny, defend against enemies, or to progress through a certain chapter. But there is a certain pixl named Tippi, who is also a main character, which will be your main pixl (meaning she will always be with you), where she can allow you to use the Wii Remote pointer to highlight and read the descriptions of items and enemies, or spot any hidden objects. But of course, the new gameplay mechanic that makes the game unique has to be the ability to turn the game from 2D to 3D which allows you to maneuver around obstacles impassable in the 2D perspective, or find items, enemies, etc. However, you are limited in a certain timer when you're in the 3D perspective and if the timer runs out, Mario's health will be depleted.

The game uses a lot of very different ways of gameplay in order to progress through the game, most of them are ver good and original, but most of them are very annoying and frustrating, so in short, the gameplay is very mixed with good and bad moments.

Graphics
The graphics look just like its previous game "Paper mario: the thousand year door", they are colorfull and charming at the same time (with a few exceptions...), but it has a different enviroment, where it's previous game had 3D environments and 2D characters, this game has mostly 2D enviroments, but the game can look 3D if you "flip" into the 3D enviroment.

Music and sound
This is where the game is bad at doing, the music is pretty bland and not very memorable, most of them sound very mediocre and some of them are kind of decent, but not as good as the songs of other Paper mario games.

The sounds are pretty decent, but not enough to call them good, and as for the voice acting... there isn't any, there are just grumbles just like in any other nintendo game, the sound that you will only hear mostly in this game is the noise it makes when the text is being shown (but thankfully it doesn't sound too bad though...)

Presentation
Continuing on the RPG elements, the main premise of the game is to collect 8 pure hearts in each chapter of the game, but the chapters are represented as doors to other dimensions in a town named flipside, in which is your main central-hub where you can buy items, speak to people, etc. It is also a place where you must place each pure heart into it's pedestal, in which they are hidden somewhere in town, in order to unlock a door to the next chapter, but it is really frustrating to do since some of them can take time in order to find them, other things included in the RPG elements are that mario has an heatlh meter where you can increase it by leveling up, mario can also use some items in order to heal him, but there are also some items that can increase his defence or attack, and where he can damage enemies, however these items must be activated by tilting the remote in a right order or by shaking it. One other thing I would like to mention is that the game also gives you the ability to switch main characters, where you can also play as peach, luigi and even bowser !  however they must be unlocked first in a certain chapter in order to play as one of them.

There's also a lot of things to do in the game to the point in which you don't have to worry about this game being short, for example there are things such as a secret bar in which you can play minigames by using the wii remote's capabilities, and there are also collectibles such as recipes in the town's kitchen, and cards where each of them have a character in them, which they are all fine since they are just optional, but the one activity that you will most spend the whole time in the game is backtracking, so get ready to do that a lot in this game ! and yes, the backtracking can be frustrating and boring and, for some parts, a waste of time...

Overall
This is a Paper mario game that's mixed with both good and bad things in it, most people were very mixed with this game when it came out, some people hate it, but most people love it, and the question that you guys might be asking is: which side do I fit better ?

My answer is neither, since I have mixed feelings with this one so Im somewhere in between, so anyway if all the parts of this game on this game sound interesting to you and you don't mind the bad parts that I've mentioned, then go ahead and give this one a go, but if you don't like some of the things in this game and you're very indecisive with this one, then my recommendation is to rent it if you can, as for me this game gets...

a 7/10

7- Good This game may have a few flaws or may have somewhat shoddy controls, or minor sound/graphics flaws, but the game itself should be fun if you like the genre, and can overlook the potential flaws!

Review: Super Paper Mario (Wii Retail) - Page 1 Super-Paper-Mario-Nintendo-Wii

Review: Super Paper Mario (Wii Retail) - Page 1 Img_normal

Review: Super Paper Mario (Wii Retail) - Page 1 Wii_super-paper-mario

Review: Super Paper Mario (Wii Retail) - Page 1 Super-paper-mario1

Last edited by Jnes5 on February 9th 2012, 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Also on PSN ! PSN: jnesDX
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

Amufungal
August 4th 2011, 4:07 pmAmufungal
I think Super Paper Mario is a unique game that is very fun Smile
This is another fantastic review Jnes5 Smile
RoboYoshi
August 10th 2011, 1:07 pmRoboYoshi
Great review Jnes Very Happy
Navi
August 10th 2011, 4:11 pmNavi
This is a good game,but since New Super Mario Bros. Wii was released I've been wondering why they didn't just make this a traditional Paper Mario game instead of a platforming rpg Neutral
Supertimbros
August 10th 2011, 5:01 pmSupertimbros
I think nintendo could have made a fortune had they kept this a traditional japanese rpg considering the dirth of japanese games and rpgs on the console Surprised
Andy
August 13th 2011, 5:13 amAndy
Me+Super paper mario=<3

GREAT REVEIW!
Anonymous
August 15th 2011, 6:13 pmSKTTR
Though Super paper mario certainly isn't the best game in the serie it is still a fun game to play :-)
Anonymous
August 16th 2011, 1:20 pmHippo
This is a truly enjoyable game and imo the best game in the serie
Anonymous
August 17th 2011, 2:34 pmOcarina
Super Paper Mario is an excellent highly underrated game that is a blast to play Very Happy
Aqua Cherry Blossom
October 28th 2013, 3:30 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Between this game and the more recent Sticker Star I assume Nintendo has no plans on releasing any more Mario rpgs. Sad
FM_Alchemist
February 26th 2014, 12:21 pmFM_Alchemist
This was by far the worst game in the series when it launched and Sticker Star for the 3DS was even worse, Nintendo needs to take this series back to its former RPG glory.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)