Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Digiheads Ahoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retail - Review: Caligula Effect Overdose (PS4 Retail) Overdo11

Developed by Aquria and published by NIS America, Caligula Effect: Overdose is a unique JRPG with some pretty interesting concepts, but is this enough to make the game shine? We think so and here's why.

Retail - Review: Caligula Effect Overdose (PS4 Retail) Overdo12

The story in Caligula Effect Overdose is pretty good sci-fi stuff and has an extremely dark tone oftentimes. What caught us off guard were the sheer amount of drastically different directions the story can take depending on your decisions. It's on par with visual novels in this regard which is an oddity amongst JRPG's, but a very welcome one at that.

The gameplay might seem like standard JRPG fare at first, but there is so much depth if you're willing to explore the game's features and learn how to battle utilizing the game's very complex systems. There are a ton of different elements such as using social media and taking quests for students that can help weave the story in Caligula Effect: Overdose. Perhaps the biggest change in the new Overdose version is the inclusion of the-similar-yet-different storyline in the perspective of a female student, while the differences aren't huge there are some varying storyline branches between the male and female student paths.

Retail - Review: Caligula Effect Overdose (PS4 Retail) Overdo13

Speaking of the battles they are turn-based in this game, but utilize a unique rock-paper-scissors approach with the skill system, but it's actually deeper then that as your position and the position of the enemies on the battlefield can drastically affect the effectiveness of your skills and the same is true of your enemies who're usually pretty dumb digiheads who don't have a lick of strategy to their attacks or even spam the same action endlessly. These cannon-fodder are usually a breeze to take out, but the named bosses that retain their intelligence can be extremely difficult and require a sound strategy to defeat.

The game is reasonably long and can take 50 hours to beat and the controls are pretty straightforward and easy to learn. The audio-visual presentation is decent as well. The standard graphics outside of the animated cutscenes aren't all that impressive, but they get the job done. The several anime cutscenes in the game are gorgeous however. The soundtrack is quite good, however the lack of English voice acting is quite disappointing. Overall the audio-visual is decent to solid quality.

Retail - Review: Caligula Effect Overdose (PS4 Retail) 110

Bottom-Line: With deep and enjoyable gameplay, an excellent branching story, superb controls, and a decent audio-visual presentation, Caligula Effect: Overdose is a good game through-and-through, however the lack of english voice acting was a bit of a letdown. We do recommend this game to older audiences who are fans of the JRPG genre! We give Caligula Effect: Overdose a solid to good level of recommendation!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Score: ★★★★★★★¾☆☆ 7.75/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#Review #Aquria #NISAmerica #JRPG #PS4 #Retail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Towafan7 on March 13th 2019, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Retail - Review: Caligula Effect Overdose (PS4 Retail) 19654

Retail - Review: Caligula Effect Overdose (PS4 Retail) 87457210

Retail - Review: Caligula Effect Overdose (PS4 Retail) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
Our review is now live! Enjoy. Wink
Navi
Excellent review!
Staroceancrazy
March 13th 2019, 3:20 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review @Towafan7 Exclamation
TechnicalIssues8
March 13th 2019, 3:26 pmTechnicalIssues8
Great review! You answered a lot of questions I had about this game.
Inoue79
Fantastic review! Smile
KeAfan7
@TechnicalIssues8 Glad to help out! Thank you all for your comments. Wink
ToughGamer
March 14th 2019, 1:53 amToughGamer
Great review.
Talesfanatic
March 14th 2019, 11:36 amTalesfanatic
Awesome review!
KeAfan7
Thanks for commenting you guys! Wink
Kain
Spot-on review @Towafan7! Smile
Kenshin A-Go-Go
March 15th 2019, 6:20 pmKenshin A-Go-Go
Great review! I've been a fan since the vita release and I might just double-dip.
KeAfan7
Thanks for the feedback! Wink
Aqua Cherry Blossom
March 18th 2019, 12:50 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Brilliant review @Towafan7 lol. Smile
RyanNerdyGamer
March 18th 2019, 3:07 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Towafan7 wrote:The several anime cutscenes in the game are gorgeous however. The soundtrack is quite good, however the lack of English voice acting is quite disappointing.
For a game with anime visuals, I don't see this as a problem. Then again, I'm the kind of guy who watches anime programs subbed with original Japanese dialogue, so I'm slightly biased, I guess. Razz

Awesome review as always, mi amigomodachi...dude...

...or something. Yeah! Retail - Review: Caligula Effect Overdose (PS4 Retail) 631737971
KeAfan7
Your rock creator of Brocc! Wink
SalsumHawkeye
March 18th 2019, 5:25 pmSalsumHawkeye
I wants the game a bit more now but for my switch:silentkiller:
SalsumHawkeye
March 18th 2019, 5:26 pmSalsumHawkeye
I pressed the wrong thumb cause I’m on my phone. So sorry @towafan7! Thumbs up from me.
KeAfan7
@SalsumHawkeye I'm glad you found my review useful! Also, no worries. I've accidentally done that myself. Anime Sweat
Amufungal
March 19th 2019, 11:03 amAmufungal
Nice review @Towafan7. Smile
Zatchbell
March 19th 2019, 3:30 pmZatchbell
Great review!
KeAfan7
You guys are awesome! Thank you for your continued support! king
BigJho
Good review dude.
ARF_Paula
March 22nd 2019, 10:10 pmARF_Paula
@Towafan7 What an amazing review!
RWBY_Red
March 28th 2019, 12:09 pmRWBY_Red
Good review.
Neptune
Nice review!
KeAfan7
Thanks for all of the comments you guys! Wink
DigiDestined
April 14th 2019, 5:59 pmDigiDestined
Nice review. Caligula Effect is a wonderful game that you all should try out. =)
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)