Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lightweight but intuitive game making engine for all to enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eshop - Review: RPG Maker ~ FES (3DS Retail) 300x

Created by Kadokawa / Jupiter and published by Nis America, RPG Maker: FES is a lightweight and very flexible game creation engine that's is fun to tinker around with, but how does it compare to its PC counterpart? Continue reading our review to find out the answer to that question and many more!

The FES game engine allows users to place preset assets and events with ease as well as letting them create maps with a robust world map and dungeon creator. The touch controls allow for easy placement and drawing for the various functions which is incredibly intuitive and gives the engine unparalleled ease of use which as you can probably already tell is the tool's strongest asset. You can even tweak some functions if you have basic knowledge of how game engine coding works such as creating a time of day or weather engine to run in your game or even make an adventure game similar to Zelda without using the built-in default battle system!

This game engine isn't perfect however, as a big flaw it has is a severe lack of assets such as character models, enemies, and objects. There's no way to create your own assets as far as we know which is a shame as that would alleviate much of the issues we have with the software. The biggest issue we have with the software "by a longshot" is that you can only upload a single project at a time for other players to download. This not only limits developers, but has caused a severe dearth of games to be released in the community download area of the app. Again you can purchase additional slots, but most people won't bother which is a very big problem for an app that relies on user-created content.

There's also a free player app that allows anyone to play games created on the engine free of charge on the 3DS which is nice, but there isn't alot of completed content available to the community, just a bunch of short user-created demo's which won't hold most players attention for long. Bottom line, the developers should have made at least one or two finished games available from the start to showcase what the engine is capable of and to appease the players who are interested in playing rather than creation.

Visually the engine allows players to create games that look like they belong on the Gameboy Advance, which is impressive given the hardware you're working with and the art-style of the pre-made assets are gorgeous in all of their 16-bit glory! The audio is another limitation that the game has as there just aren't many tracks so don't expect to craft a masterpiece in that regard, but what is there is pretty good.

Bottom-Line:

With easy to use tools and an intuitive interface RPG Maker: FES is one of the easiest game creation engines we've ever seen so even the most inexperienced developers can craft an epic adventure of their own with this software, however many aspects of the software leave much to be desired, but if you can live with these limitations this software is a real gem albeit a flawed one. We give RPG Maker: FES for the 3DS a decently solid level of recommendation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Score: ★★★★★★¾☆☆☆ 6.75/10

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#Review #KadokawaGames #NisAmerica #RPGMaker #GameEngine #3DS #Retail #eShop #Gaming

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Reanfan on October 15th 2017, 8:03 am; edited 5 times in total

eshop - Review: RPG Maker ~ FES (3DS Retail) 19654

eshop - Review: RPG Maker ~ FES (3DS Retail) 87457210

eshop - Review: RPG Maker ~ FES (3DS Retail) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
October 14th 2017, 6:09 pmKeAfan7
Our review is now live! Enjoy. Wink
Anonymous
October 14th 2017, 6:13 pmNoisyMagi
Brilliant review, shame that the app has strict limitations.
Staroceancrazy
October 14th 2017, 6:15 pmStaroceancrazy
I don't mind the limitations it gets my creative juices flowing even more Exclamation
Awesome review @Reanfan! Very Happy
Aqua Cherry Blossom
October 14th 2017, 6:16 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review lol. Smile
Clαππαd
October 14th 2017, 6:20 pmClαππαd
Nice review as always boss. Smile
ShanaNoShakugan
October 14th 2017, 6:21 pmShanaNoShakugan
Such nice review @Reanfan. Smile
KeAfan7
October 14th 2017, 9:09 pmKeAfan7
Thanks for all of the comments so far! Will this review be the next to reach 20 comments? king
RyanNerdyGamer
October 15th 2017, 2:29 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Hm...I might stick with the PC version (once I replace my laptop that is). Looking forward to cooking up some delicious games for you to try! Happy

@Reanfan Excellent review, as always! eshop - Review: RPG Maker ~ FES (3DS Retail) 631737971
DigiDestined
October 16th 2017, 1:41 amDigiDestined
Nice review once again @Reanfan. =)
Kain
October 16th 2017, 1:43 amKain
Nice review dude!
SuperVash
October 16th 2017, 1:46 amSuperVash
@Reanfan great review!
Talesfanatic
October 16th 2017, 1:48 amTalesfanatic
Nice review!
Otaku
October 16th 2017, 1:50 amOtaku
Awesome review!
Neptune
October 16th 2017, 1:53 amNeptune
Nice review @Reanfan.
Clαππαd
October 16th 2017, 12:34 pmClαππαd
@GeekyGamerZack I like this app very much. It has its limits, but is still well worth its price. Smile
Megatron2000
October 17th 2017, 12:49 amMegatron2000
Great review sonny boy. Megatron Happy
Zatchbell
October 17th 2017, 12:56 amZatchbell
The drawbacks aren't so bad @GeekyGamerZack. Great review by the way @Reanfan!
Trinity33
October 17th 2017, 6:32 pmTrinity33
I think that this should have scored higher, but I agree that having to pay for more than one game upload blows. No
Kain
October 17th 2017, 6:39 pmKain
Trinity33 wrote:I think that this should have scored higher, but I agree that having to pay for more than one game upload blows. No
I completely agree. Sad
Objection Blaster
October 18th 2017, 7:11 pmObjection Blaster
Objection! This game deserves a higher score. Ah well good review @Reanfan!
XenobladeYuki
October 19th 2017, 12:39 pmXenobladeYuki
Nice! eshop - Review: RPG Maker ~ FES (3DS Retail) 631737971
themcnoisy
October 19th 2017, 2:39 pmthemcnoisy
The lack of objects to use has me worried.
Rena Ryuugu Fanboy
October 20th 2017, 7:13 pmRena Ryuugu Fanboy
Welcome to WiiWareWave @themcnoisy! Aren't you a member at Push Square or is that another @themcnoisy?
MetroidBlaster
October 20th 2017, 8:46 pmMetroidBlaster
Great review, also welcome to WiiWareWave @themcnoisy!
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)