Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Better Than A Bag O' Flesh-Pops!

Oddworldinc - Review: Oddworld New 'n' Tasty (Wii U eShop) Oddwor10

Developed by Just Add Water and published by Oddworld Inc, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty is an HD remake of the original Oddworld title for the Sony PSX! The original version of the game was incredibly eerie and dark and was overall a fantastic game, so how does New 'n' Tasty stack up to the original? Continue reading our review to find out!

The story is very dark and sinister in Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty just as was in Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey on the PSX. Some elements of the story have been altered a bit both in a good way and bad way depending on the scene, but overall the story is still great for a platformer. The gameplay is still excellent with limited powers and emphasis on stealth, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty is a challenging yet fun platformer that will certainly hook any fan of 2D platformers.

Besides the traditional platforming elements, the game possesses some clever puzzles including crates, levers, and intricate enemy patterns in some sections that require careful planning to get by as well as "endless runner" style areas where you ride a beast across hazardous areas filled with spikes and pitfalls among other dangers and it feels quite rewarding to get past these areas!

Oddworldinc - Review: Oddworld New 'n' Tasty (Wii U eShop) Large10

The controls are somewhat shoddy in our opinion, it's not broken, but the button mapping is pretty bad and there's no way to change it in the options which really brings the game down. There's also an issue where audio doesn't play from the Gamepad during cut-scenes which kills the mood during Off-TV sessions.

Visually the game is bright a colorful which is a stark contrast to the dark and eerie art-style the original Abe's Odyssey had on the PSX. Sure the environments look nicer for the most part, but this change completely ruins the game's atmosphere. Not only that, but the game's special effects and multiple layered hand-drawn claymation-style backgrounds were completely nerfed and replaced with more simplistic and in most cases inferior looking effects and backgrounds. These visual issues were problematic enough to force us to drop the overall score by one point.

In-terms of audio, however Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty shines. The sound effects are excellent and the music is superb and fits the game well! The voice acting during the cut-scenes is cheezy at times, but in a 90's Saturday morning cartoon sort of way, which is a good thing in our opinion!

Oddworldinc - Review: Oddworld New 'n' Tasty (Wii U eShop) Maxres10

Bottom-Line:

With fantastic gameplay that is both highly enjoyable and challenging, a great story with excellent cinematics, and a great audio presentation, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty is a great game in its own right, however it fails to reach its true potential thanks to shoddy, poorly mapped controls, and a seriously downgraded visual presentation when compared to the original Abe's Odyssey on the PSX. There's also the issue with no sound coming from the gamepad during cut-scenes which will hopefully be addressed in a future patch, but overall the game is still solid to good and as such we award the game with an appropriate score!

Price: $14.99

Score: ★★★★★★★☆☆☆ 7.9/10

#Review #WiiU #eShop #Oddworld #Oddworldinc #NewNtasty #Nindie

Oddworldinc - Review: Oddworld New 'n' Tasty (Wii U eShop) 19654

Oddworldinc - Review: Oddworld New 'n' Tasty (Wii U eShop) 87457210

Oddworldinc - Review: Oddworld New 'n' Tasty (Wii U eShop) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
February 18th 2016, 7:01 pmKeAfan7
Our review is now live. Wink
Ragnarok
February 18th 2016, 7:41 pmRagnarok
Great review! Oddworldinc - Review: Oddworld New 'n' Tasty (Wii U eShop) 631737971
WilliamFrankLepleyIII
February 18th 2016, 7:59 pmWilliamFrankLepleyIII
Very good review, my friend Exclamation  

After reading this, I was thinking that Naughty Dog should develop an HD remake of Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back. FTW!

Last edited by WilliamFrankLepleyIII on February 18th 2016, 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
FM_Alchemist
February 18th 2016, 8:01 pmFM_Alchemist
WilliamFrankLepleyIII wrote:Very good review, my friend!

After reading this, I was thinking that Naughty Dog should develop an HD remake of Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back. FTW!
As long as it releases on a Nintendo platform I'd buy that day one! Great review by the way.
WilliamFrankLepleyIII
February 18th 2016, 8:24 pmWilliamFrankLepleyIII
FM_Alchemist wrote:
WilliamFrankLepleyIII wrote:Very good review, my friend!

As long as it releases on a Nintendo platform I'd buy that day one! Great review by the way.

Well, of course it would need to be available on all of the major HD platforms.
KeAfan7
February 18th 2016, 11:27 pmKeAfan7
Wow thanks for all the comments so far! Wink
ARF_Paula
February 18th 2016, 11:43 pmARF_Paula
Aww they nerfed the game. I already have all of the Playstation One Oddworld games so I think I'll pass on this one.
UmbrellaGirlLuna
February 19th 2016, 8:35 amUmbrellaGirlLuna
Nice review!
SuperVash
February 19th 2016, 10:37 pmSuperVash
I agree. Oddworld: New N Tasty is good but the original was much better! Cool
ShanaNoShakugan
February 19th 2016, 10:55 pmShanaNoShakugan
Will game release in Japan? Smile
DigiDestined
February 21st 2016, 9:07 pmDigiDestined
Nice review. Smile