Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
Gamergy
Gamergy
Swap your money for this game

Review: The Swapper (Wii U eShop) 381ebb048fb4a0a2ca6b7c00f8324219

The Wii U eShop has gotten some lower-quality titles recently, such as a Flappy Bird clone and some other poorly made games; so it’s nice to see a high-quality title redeem the eShop’s reputation. Of course I’m talking about the game in this review, The Swapper.

I never fully understood what was really going on with the story, mostly because I played it in short bursts. The story was told in certain areas and you have to find logs that add to the story, and since I missed quite a few, following the story was hard for me. Then again that’s just my experience; after reading the Wikipedia article for The Swapper it starts to make sense, and is actually pretty interesting. It really feels like Metroid Prime, where the story is more or less found in scans.

Review: The Swapper (Wii U eShop) The_swapper

However the story isn’t the main selling point of the game; I enjoyed The Swapper even without paying too much attention to the story. The core gameplay goal is to collect orbs, but they are at a distance that you must use a tool called “The Swapper” this tool allows you to create clones and “swap” control of them. This creative twist adds a lot of options for a puzzle game, but there’s more.

Two types of light beams, red and blue, will obstruct your swapping abilities. One will not let you create clones in the light, and the other will block your swapping ability. Then there are the platforms that flip your character from walking on the ground to the ceiling and vice versa. Just when you think The Swapper is out of ideas, they hit you with a new twist.

The Swapper is one of, if not the best-looking indie game on the Wii U eShop. It looks very polished and I failed to notice anything look bad. The music is amazing, it gives a very eerie feel to the game; it adds so much to the atmosphere, which is something that screams quality.

Review: The Swapper (Wii U eShop) TheSwapperPS4%20(6)

The gamepad is used well in The Swapper; it has off-TV play and can be used as a map and log book. This comes in handy for finding the remaining orbs, it would be hard to find them without a map, and having the map on the gamepad is incredibly convenient.

There’s very little to find wrong with The Swapper, if anything, it’s how frustrating the puzzles are. How long completing The Swapper will take entirely depends on how long it takes for you to figure out the puzzles. They get really hard later, and you may feel like giving up, but you will figure them out with enough time. I never think because a game is hard it’s bad, but some people do.

Like how Shovel Knight is the essential indie platformer, The Swapper is the essential indie puzzle game on the Wii U eShop. Maybe it’s on the expensive side, but you get what you pay for with The Swapper. Go download this game if you even remotely like puzzle games.

Main pros: Very fitting music, looks great, unique gameplay elements

Main Cons: Frustrating. Seriously that’s it

Score 9.2
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

KeAfan7
December 3rd 2014, 3:51 pmKeAfan7
Nice job as always and thanks for supporting us with such excellent content! Wink
Amufungal
December 4th 2014, 11:49 amAmufungal
Nice review Gamergy Smile
SKTTR
December 4th 2014, 4:02 pmSKTTR
It's not the typical puzzle platformer.
That new swapper/clone mechanic can blow a mind.

It's easy and obvious once you know the answer. But sometimes it's a long way to get there.
This game made me feel dumb. Lots of try&error. And I had to ask for a hint a few times.

The atmosphere, graphics, music, voice acting and presentation is superb though.
In contrast to this review, I thought the game is especially worth it to play for the story and to see which ending you get/want.

The only thing that I didn't like is that it has no Wiimote+Nunchuk support. An odd oversight, because that would clearly be the best control method for The Swapper.
Navi
December 7th 2014, 2:31 pmNavi
Nice review! I completely agree with everything that's written in this article.
SheldonTheGenius
December 7th 2014, 5:39 pmSheldonTheGenius
This might be even more stimulating than Fun With Flags! Great review.
Clαππαd
December 7th 2014, 6:08 pmClαππαd
Nice review Gamergy!
I enjoyed reading every bit of your review. Smile
Objection Blaster
December 10th 2014, 9:13 pmObjection Blaster
@Gamergy excellent review dude!
Anime_Gurl
December 10th 2014, 9:25 pmAnime_Gurl
Nice review. Smile
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum