Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
KeAfan7
KeAfan7
Admin
Super Poster!
This member has made a splash by posting over 10,000 messages and comments in our community!
Mega Coinage!
This kind user has earned over 50,000 Coins! Happy posting!
The Power of Mana!

photo b2b50b6e-19f1-4be9-b715-873031213e9a_zpsfcd4ef1b.jpg

Story And Gameplay:

In this fantastic SNES classic you take the role of a young boy who accidentally pulls the magical Sword of Mana from a stone unleashing evil across the land and it's up to you to re-energize the sword and seal the evil away once more! The story has alot of twists and turns, but is fairly predictable. The gameplay is quite unique with real-time combat and the charge attacks that vary between weapons, characters, and how much of your charge gauge that you use. Another interesting feature is that there are over a dozen different weapons to collect and each one can be upgraded to more powerful forms with some being short ranged and others having a long-range of attack! The game also features a magic system that is bound to summon spirits that you can find at various dungeons throughout the game, though the main character can't use magic his melee damage is greater than the other characters.

The difficulty of the game steadily gets more difficult, but there are a few cases where the difficulty suddenly spikes, but grinding a few levels will usually solve this problem. The dungeon and map designs are clever albeit fairly simplistic at least early on in the game, but improves later in the game! The game is quite lengthy as well as it will likely take newcomers well over 30 hours to beat "even longer to complete 100%"!

photo f30e7f2d-f8f3-46eb-bb8b-58650f80bf24_zpsbf7e8132.jpg

Controls:

The controls are very simple and easy to learn in the game, but the Classic Controller Pro is the best choice for the game as the overall feel is better and the analog sticks aren't prone to breaking or sticking with the Pro model!

photo 75a61bb2-63d7-4cbc-aa12-ac52348c7a8b_zps7c6884e3.jpg

Graphics And Sounds:

The graphics in Secret of Mana are quite nice and have decent textures and sprites, but the character models are rather grainy and haven't aged well. The cut-scenes also have aged poorly and could look better, but overall it does not look horrible, just not as good as it could look. The music on the other hand is quite enjoyable and has a wide variety of tracks some of which are quite catchy. The in-game sound effects are typical SNES fare, overall the soundtrack and sound effects are superb in this game!

photo 18e31647-fb4f-4026-b234-41a1c3c061f5_zpsc3f92115.jpg

Bottom-Line:

With an amazing story and great gameplay Secret of Mana is an excellent JRPG to add to your VC collection, and it's amazing soundtrack will have you humming the tunes! The only negative is that the graphics have not aged as well as they have in other SNES JRPG's, but that's just a minor complaint. Overall we highly recommend this game to any retro RPG fan!

Score: 8.5/10

Secret of Mana (Wii VC) 19654

Secret of Mana (Wii VC) 87457210

Secret of Mana (Wii VC) Bleach10

Bleach Thousand Year Blood War is upon us! W00t!
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

RyanNerdyGamer
March 2nd 2014, 3:03 pmRyanNerdyGamer
I agree, Rukiafan. This truly is a masterpiece of classic JRPGs. If only I were able to finish it before I lost all my VC games... -_-
Clαππαd
March 3rd 2014, 1:24 pmClαππαd
Nice review boss!
Secret of Mana is such a fun RPG. Smile
Amufungal
March 3rd 2014, 1:56 pmAmufungal
Why is square enix becoming a mobile games developer?
None of their games come to handhelds or home consoles anymore Sad
ShounenMania
March 5th 2014, 1:17 pmShounenMania
Sweet review man! Secret of Mana (Wii VC) 631737971
Anonymous
March 6th 2014, 1:24 pmGuest
This is such a beautiful review @Rukiafan! ♥
Trinity33
March 7th 2014, 12:35 pmTrinity33
This game is the best one of the entire series hands-down.
KeAfan7
March 8th 2014, 7:26 pmKeAfan7
Thanks for the comments you guys! Wink
DigiDestined
March 9th 2014, 3:04 pmDigiDestined
I love this game! Nice review @Rukiafan. Smile
Marioman18
April 14th 2014, 11:23 amMarioman18
GamerZack7 wrote:I agree, Rukiafan. This truly is a masterpiece of classic JRPGs. If only I were able to finish it before I lost all my VC games... -_-
I agree with this comment. @GamerZack7 what happened? Surprised
Aqua Cherry Blossom
July 16th 2014, 3:34 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
Nice review lol. Smile
This is my favourite game in the Mana series lol. Smile
Staroceancrazy
July 17th 2014, 12:57 pmStaroceancrazy
Awesome review! Very Happy
This game is a classic Exclamation
Ulqiorrathegreat
July 18th 2014, 1:28 pmUlqiorrathegreat
Secret of Mana is a good game. So good review.
KokorOtaku
July 18th 2014, 8:44 pmKokorOtaku
I wonder when SE will release their games on eShop in the west? I wanna upgrade this
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)