Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
Your Most Recent Videogame Purchase(s)March 26th 2024, 3:36 pmRyanNerdyGamerWhat was the last game you beat?March 26th 2024, 8:03 amKokorOtakuThe video games alphabetMarch 25th 2024, 1:39 pmRyanNerdyGamerComment On The Avatar of The Person Above YouMarch 25th 2024, 1:35 pmRyanNerdyGamerThe Happy Birthday Superthread!March 25th 2024, 1:33 pmRyanNerdyGamer
SkywardL
SkywardL
Admin
escapeVektor (3DS eShop) review - Page 1 HxWl26P00m0OrBzFbCZyiy9OxqJswOR8
© 2011, 2012 Nnooo

Available now on the Nintendo 3DS (XL) eShop

Publisher and Developer: Nnooo
Players: 1 player (1 save file)
Genre: Retro / Arcade
Price: $9.99

escapeVektor: Chapter 1 was the only chapter available on WiiWare last year and yet it’s considered to be among the best titles ever released on the service. The first and remaining chapters of escapeVektor are now available on the Nintendo 3DS eShop all in one package. With it’s release just a few days before the end of 2012, does this “little vector that could” manage to achieve the crown as one of the best titles available on the 3DS eShop? I can honestly say right now that the answer is a gratifying yes.

escapeVektor (3DS eShop) review - Page 1 IV7Po4amsBr0N5uSS2CD72fcGHFmghJW

Gameplay

If you’re unfamiliar with the original WiiWare version, which is 1/4th of the complete experience, escapeVektor is best describe as Pac-Man meets Tron. You control an arrow name Vektor, a human who is trap inside your 3DS (XL) system and must escape along with all the bits and bytes that are working in slavery. Each level designs are symmetric grid patterns made out of white lines that Vektor must pass over in order to progress further to all 150 levels. Each level completed rewards Vektor with experience points that will upgrade your character with more abilities, wild cards that will double your leaderboard score when in use, a star as an accomplishment for not using explosives on enemies, and medals that determines whether you master that level or not. escapeVektor has serious amount of replay value.

Some levels have secret exits that will take you Bonus Zones welcoming you with previous (and future) levels, which includes conditions that are more challenging. Complete enough Bonus Zone levels and Vektor can skip Zones that will surely be closer of him reaching the 150th level and his freedom. Beware though; skipping the main levels will also skips some story elements as well, which will probably hinder your interest in Vektor’s story similar to my experience with its story.

For those who played the WiiWare version and curious of what Chapters 2 - 4 are like, the level designs require more caution on each approving cell and circuits as well has dealing with new enemy types, especially the ones that continuously spawn dozens towards you.

escapeVektor (3DS eShop) review - Page 1 UuPFNbjnpZAWPR1O1bA5TwAm7cmNTJWm

Presentation

The game looks impressively technophobic, fits perfectly for the type of story from this arcade genre. New to escapeVektor is the stereoscopic 3D. The 3D is the best I seen from a 3DS download only title, very strong if you want to, and helps make an impression the way the enemies’ teleport during the latter levels. Another element I really love from this 3DS download title is the soundtrack. The soundtrack is electrifying and the tone from the same selection of music changes when progressing further. The bottom screen is put to good use in terms of a different perfective of the lower part of the playfield and time.

Conclusion

There is no escape from this. escapeVektor is by far the best eShop title available on the 3DS that I played.

10 / 10 eShop points

Share this post on:reddit

Comments

DigiDestined
January 8th 2014, 11:31 amDigiDestined
I'm still upset that only the first chapter was released on WiiWare. Sad
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)