Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Want to be a part of the friendliest community on the web? Join here! Already a member? Sign-in here!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SKTTR
SKTTR
Admin
Review: 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ (WiiWare) - Page 1 Hqdefault

2 FAST 4 GNOMZ (WiiWare)

(C) 2012 QubicGames

Developer: QubicGames
Publisher: QubicGames
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdvyEUulNwg

EU Release: 2012-04-26
NA Release: 2012-02-23

Players: 1
Wii Points: 500
Genre: Runner / Autoscrolling Platformer

Review written by SKTTR for WiiWareWave 2012-05-05.

Review: 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ (WiiWare) - Page 1 11

R U 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ?

Polish developer QubicGames worked on two GNÖMZ games for WiiWare at the same time: The multiplayer arena platformer GNÖMZ that was released in December 2011, and the single player runner game 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ which was released in April 2012 and is a completely different experience compared to the first game.

As with every game in the runner genre 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ is an autoscrolling jump & run. You automatically run from left to right through grassy areas, rocky mountains, icy caves, and a magical forest, and you just have to jump with the 2-button at the right time (holding the Wiimote sideways) to overcome obstacles like pits and spikes. In the first few stages you only need to jump and open your parachute by pressing 'UP' to float over gaps that are too wide for a normal jump. You can also use the wind to levitate to greater heights. Later on you learn new moves: Press 'DOWN' to change into the strong red Gnom that pounds the ground and crashes through trees and press 'FORWARD' to change into the super speedy blue Gnom. That's when the game gets serious and shows its full potential. There's another move to discover that is messing things up quite nicely.

Review: 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ (WiiWare) - Page 1 2

The level design is very clever and incredibly challenging with lots of different traps to avoid and socks to collect. There's a fair amount of checkpoints and if you die you just respawn instantly at the last one you crossed. You have unlimited lives as well. And you get a death counter just for fun: as long as you try a stage it counts your deaths and it resets back to zero if you choose to go back to the map or when you manually restart the level. On the map you can select all the levels you have unlocked. The game saves your progress each time you set a new time record, a new sock record and each time you unlock a new level. There are 3 separate profiles to choose from and they show your completion percentage.

The game comes in a nice hand-drawn 2D comic look, although the presentation is a bit on the lacking side. The graphics are good for the most part and the speed is just crazy but occasionally there's the odd graphic glitch. The title screen with its blurry text comes across cheap, and there's not much music apart from a few gnömzy tracks. On the other hand it tries to balance out these minor presentation flaws with a silly little story: a few funny cutscenes as you make your way through the game, with a few cameo appearances of characters from the first GNÖMZ game. The story is quite a Super Mario Bros. rip-off as it takes full force on the "Your princess is in another castle"-cliché.

The EU version has only English screentext but everything is pretty self-explanatory.

Review: 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ (WiiWare) - Page 1 9

For just 500 Wii Points this is a well-made little runner, with spot-on controls and pretty good content (40 stages + 40 bonus stages, collectables, and best times). Recommended for fans of extremely fast platformers and runners, fans of simple games with some depth and lots of challenge.

I have completed this game 100.0% - the percentage on my profile says so - but it shouldn't. There's one stage where I couldn't get all socks. It's bonus stage 30 - "Titanic". I can only get 24/26 socks in this stage. Two socks are INSIDE spikes! Is it a bug or a clever trick? And should I complain? At least the game is generous giving me 100% despite missing 2 out of a thousand socks.

If you want first-hand impressions there is a free 2 FAST 4 GNOMZ Demo available in the Wii Shop.

SKTTRSKORE: 8/10

8- Great This is a great game that might have a few flaws or could have been better, but is still a game we highly recommend!

Last edited by SKTTR on May 17th 2012, 6:38 pm; edited 15 times in total
Share this post on:reddit

Comments

ZezHylia
June 15th 2012, 6:20 pmZezHylia
You're as good as Corbs from NL! Very Happy
Anonymous
July 3rd 2012, 10:53 amGuest
Beautiful review SKTTR! I love you
Clαππαd
July 14th 2012, 1:04 pmClαππαd
I'll be honest I did not like this game, but I can see why some people would.
Akatsuki
August 28th 2012, 11:59 amAkatsuki
Your review is so good. You should review games more often! Very Happy
ToughGamer
September 3rd 2013, 1:50 pmToughGamer
Good review.
FM_Alchemist
September 21st 2013, 2:11 pmFM_Alchemist
Good review and I agree with it wholeheartedly.
NINTENBRO
September 21st 2013, 3:23 pmNINTENBRO
This game is really good, but the 3DS version is so much better.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Users Have Posted 119.25K Messages And Comments
We Have 7.81K Registered Users
This Month's Active Users (1.25K)
This Month's Unique Visitors (105.5K)