Admin
View user profile

Review: Gnomz (WiiWare)

Message reputation : 94% (18 votes)
Is Gnomz a garden treasure or an unwanted buried dog bone?

Gameplay
The gameplay is quirky and fairly fun and the 25+ stages have their own hazards and elements to them,this game feels sort of like Metroid physics meets Mario Bros. Arcade with some Super Smash bros. thrown in, it's difficult to describe but is a good formula. I found a problem with the controls though it may be just me but they felt really awkward as the button mashing in this game can cause you to  accidentally jump to your doom in certain stages, but at least it wasn't unresponsive.

The game also features many power-ups that make things hectic and evens out the playing field between expert players and novice players. My personal favorite was the rainbow sock which takes out any gnomz surrounding the person why picks the rainbow sock up!
The computer A.I. is actually very nicely programmed and provides a good challenge.

Another issue I had with this game was the lack of missions in the one player modes which makes this game exceptionally dull and takes away any sense of accomplishment when playing alone.
There are a few unlockable levels, but they are so simple to unlock that they may as well be unlocked from the start.
I suggest playing with some friends as this game is easily an 8/10 with 4 players.

For those of you who have played Mario Wars will feel right at home playing this game since the gameplay is very similar in Gnomz!

Graphics and Music

The graphics in the game are cute yet detailed and really look polished for a WiiWare title. Character models are detailed and colorful and the levels are beautifully designed and have a clever layout in most cases!
The soundtrack is okay but fails to really fit the hectic gameplay.

Bottom Line-This game is a great multiplayer experience despite its flaws with great gameplay beautiful graphics,and creative levels, but the single player experience feels a bit flat and the music isn't that good. So if you want a single player experience you might want to pass on this game, but if you want a fun multiplayer free for all I would say this is a good buy!

Price- 1000 points

Score ☆☆☆☆☆☆ 6.8/10

6- Decent This game has flaws or major flaws such as, poor controls, bad gameplay elements, poorly implemented gimmicks, minor sound or graphics issues etc. But can be fun, but not necessarily as fun as you'd hope.

Last edited by Reanfan on October 22nd 2018, 1:49 pm; edited 5 times in total

Share this post on:diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Comments

on November 9th 2011, 12:05 pmSuperVash
6.8 is higher then I was expecting to be honest Razz
on November 9th 2011, 12:50 pmItsame
Pass
on November 9th 2011, 2:05 pmTrinity33
How many levels are packed into Gnömz?
on November 9th 2011, 6:09 pmRetro Gamer
@Trinity33 wrote:How many levels are packed into Gnömz?
Read the review Razz
on November 9th 2011, 6:30 pmAmufungal
Very good review Rukiafan Smile
on November 9th 2011, 7:05 pmStaroceancrazy
I don't think I would like this game after reading this review Sad
on November 9th 2011, 8:44 pmRobj76
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
This might be my chance to destroy that Travelocity gnome. Razz
Good review admin.
on November 10th 2011, 12:31 pmMetroidBlaster
A bad single player mode?
I think I will pass Sad
on November 10th 2011, 9:26 pmInuyasha4z2
I have no interest in purchasing this game.
on November 11th 2011, 4:50 amNINTENBRO
@Inuyasha4z2 wrote:I have no interest in purchasing this game.
Those were my sentiments exactly, and this review only supports that belief.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum