Admin
View user profile

Gnomz Review

Message reputation : 94% (18 votes)
Is Gnomz a garden treasure or an unwanted buried dog bone?

Gameplay
The gameplay is quirky and fairly fun and the 25+ stages have their own hazards and elements to them,this game feels sort of like Metroid physics meets Mario Bros. Arcade with some Super Smash bros. thrown in, it's difficult to describe but is a good formula. I found a problem with the controls though it may be just me but they felt really awkward as the button mashing in this game can cause you to accidentally jump to your doom in certain stages, but at least it wasn't unresponsive.

The game also features many power-ups that make things hectic and evens out the playing field between expert players and novice players. My personal favorite was the rainbow sock which takes out any gnomz surrounding the person why picks the rainbow sock up!
The computer A.I. is actually very nicely programmed and provides a good challenge.

Another issue I had with this game was the lack of missions in the one player modes which makes this game exceptionally dull and takes away any sense of accomplishment when playing alone.
There are a few unlockable levels, but they are so simple to unlock that they may as well be unlocked from the start.
I suggest playing with some friends as this game is easily an 8/10 with 4 players.

For those of you who have played Mario Wars will feel right at home playing this game since the gameplay is very similar in Gnomz!

Graphics and Music

The graphics in the game are cute yet detailed and really look polished for a WiiWare title. Character models are detailed and colorful and the levels are beautifully designed and have a clever layout in most cases!
The soundtrack is okay but fails to really fit the hectic gameplay.

Bottom Line-This game is a great multiplayer experience despite its flaws with great gameplay beautiful graphics,and creative levels, but the single player experience feels a bit flat and the music isn't that good. So if you want a single player experience you might want to pass on this game, but if you want a fun multiplayer free for all I would say this is a good buy!

Price- 1000 points

Score ☆☆☆☆☆☆ 6.8/10

6- Decent This game has flaws or major flaws such as, poor controls, bad gameplay elements, poorly implemented gimmicks, minor sound or graphics issues etc. But can be fun, but not necessarily as fun as you'd hope.

Last edited by Rukiafan on November 9th 2011, 2:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

My Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Adventure!

Share this post on:diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Comments

on November 8th 2011, 6:08 pmGanondorfthewicked
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
It sounds good considering it only got a score of 6.8 Neutral But I guess it does have some flaws so I'll wait to see if a demo will be released.
on November 8th 2011, 7:17 pmAqua Cherry Blossom
I think the lack of a decent single player mode is enough to make me not purchase this game.
on November 8th 2011, 8:02 pmFox_McCloud
I'll pass.
on November 8th 2011, 8:09 pmMetalShyGuy
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
This sounds much better than most Wiiware party games.
on November 8th 2011, 8:27 pmKung-fu Pikachu
@MetalShyGuy wrote:This sounds much better than most Wiiware party games.
Thank goodness for that. Laughing
on November 8th 2011, 9:46 pmMouser
This sounds better then I was expecting. Surprised
on November 8th 2011, 11:11 pmNell TU
Has this been released in the german region?
on November 9th 2011, 3:57 amSKTTR
Eureka wrote:I think the lack of a decent single player mode is enough to make me not purchase this game.

My concern.

Rukia, maybe you can add a line about the single player content and options? As it seems there are no missions, no story, no achievements, no unlockables, but at least computer-controlled gnömz-bots you can set on different difficulty levels.... is that right? Well, I will buy this game no matter what, I think me and my friends can get a 8/10 or 9/10 out of this in the 4-player modes.

We'll see, will post my impressions when it's available in EU.

@Nell TU wrote:Has this been released in the german region?

No. Gnömz wasn't released in any PAL region yet.
on November 9th 2011, 4:08 amReanfan
I added your requested details about the one player features Wink
Sponsored content
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum